Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 466 of 467 FirstFirst ... 366416456464465466467 LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,660 of 4661

Thread: Last Movie Watched

  1. #4651
    Go Tanner Go!
    roenick's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,820
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    431 Post(s)

    Default

    We saw this last night



    We liked it very much but didn't love it. I am not sure it is one of those movies anyone "loves." To start sci-fi enthusiasts will like it. It starts with a Blade Runner feel but quickly moves to an Innerstellar feel. Brad Pitt is terrific in it and others are good as well. One of the detractions by reviewers is it is slow at times but I didn't find that at all - those moments seemed perfect for the characters at that particular time. Lots of action and an interesting contemplative story. Overall very much worth a watch and it will get Oscar consideration especially for Pitt so it is worth a watch.

  2. #4652
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    jerseydevil's Avatar
    Karma: 20295756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    50,514
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4670 Post(s)

    Default



    Saw this at Beyondfest last night.

    Lovecraft is so terribly hard to get right. Always felt his writing was dry and the horror abstract and faceless. Not easy to translate into actual scares. This movie, through astounding use of light and sound, when the sh_t goes down, you are so wound up with dread that it almost seems a relief to actually see some truly horrifying creature design. At least that's a physical thing that you can comprehend. Solid acting...except from Cage, which was a disappointment. He starts as a rational dad, but descends into a master class in Cageisms. Always fun to watch...but this movie really deserved a more nuanced performance. Shame really, but it's still not enough to break the trance this movie puts you in. Too much animal violence for my liking...so be warned.
    Oh...Tommy Chong has a small part, and as much as I love him, it was a distraction. Kingsqueen thought it should have a major release. But I disagreed. Too strange and bleak despite the fact that Cage and Joely Richardson and there does seem to be a decent budget on this.
    For the potheads...yes yes and yes. This is a 5 outta 5 joints flick. You want clarity or closure, seek it elsewhere. But if you enjoy Lovecraft and/or slow ratcheting dread, it's your kinda groove.

  3. #4653
    Halloween Dolphin!
    orpheus's Avatar
    Karma: 4055402
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    24,427
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2366 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post


    Saw this at Beyondfest last night.

    Lovecraft is so terribly hard to get right. Always felt his writing was dry and the horror abstract and faceless. Not easy to translate into actual scares. This movie, through astounding use of light and sound, when the sh_t goes down, you are so wound up with dread that it almost seems a relief to actually see some truly horrifying creature design. At least that's a physical thing that you can comprehend. Solid acting...except from Cage, which was a disappointment. He starts as a rational dad, but descends into a master class in Cageisms. Always fun to watch...but this movie really deserved a more nuanced performance. Shame really, but it's still not enough to break the trance this movie puts you in. Too much animal violence for my liking...so be warned.
    Oh...Tommy Chong has a small part, and as much as I love him, it was a distraction. Kingsqueen thought it should have a major release. But I disagreed. Too strange and bleak despite the fact that Cage and Joely Richardson and there does seem to be a decent budget on this.
    For the potheads...yes yes and yes. This is a 5 outta 5 joints flick. You want clarity or closure, seek it elsewhere. But if you enjoy Lovecraft and/or slow ratcheting dread, it's your kinda groove.
    I am sure I posted an article about this somewhere, but I forgot where, haha. Maybe, the horror thread.

    I am curious about this because the director has had his moments and I *love* this particular story. Maybe in my top three Lovecraft short stories for me.

    Will probably watch it eventually, but many similar issues that you brought up here have been brought up elsewhere and it's a shame, but this stuff is hard to adapt. And as such, sometimes it's best to do your own thing with the material, and that often, also leads to its own issues.

  4. #4654
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    jerseydevil's Avatar
    Karma: 20295756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    50,514
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4670 Post(s)

    Default



    I literally had no words after this. Please, see this and see it in Imax. What a beautiful meditation on SPACE but not the one you immediately suspect. I will wax on this further, since, for me, this is a life altering movie because it cuts very close to issues I have been working on in my life.
    Got a movie I am dying to see, up at Beyondfest...and I saw 2 there last night that I have many thoughts about. So, more to come...but please, I beg you. See this in Imax. I009p
    Last edited by jerseydevil; September 30th, 2019 at 11:17 AM.

  5. #4655
    Go Tanner Go!
    roenick's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,820
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    431 Post(s)

    Default

    Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Lots to think about, lots to discuss, etc. No spoilers but a great script and Phoenix is amazing. Oh and one other comment I found the movie to be a great comic book movie for comic book readers.

    Last edited by roenick; October 9th, 2019 at 12:57 PM.

  6. #4656
    Sausage King of Chicago
    santiclaws's Avatar
    Karma: 17022656
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    16,519
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3290 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Lots to think about, lots to discuss, etc. No spoilers but a great script and Phoenix is amazing. Oh and one other comment I found the movie to be a great comic book movie for comic book readers.
    I'm not a comic book guy, and not a comic book movie guy, but I also loved it. Really, you could watch this without having any idea of who Batman or the Joker are, or that the movie has any relationship to a comic book at all, and it would stand on its own.

  7. #4657
    Taxi Squad
    What party?'s Avatar
    Karma: 3611000
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    608 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    I'm not a comic book guy, and not a comic book movie guy, but I also loved it. Really, you could watch this without having any idea of who Batman or the Joker are, or that the movie has any relationship to a comic book at all, and it would stand on its own.
    So, Iíll take it a few steps further (as always) if you shot this movie in black and white, cast French actors (subtitled for the States) and changed nothing else it could be called: Mime. Becoming a depiction of a marginalized family struggling with mental illness after their benefits have been discontinued.



    [Preface, super sensitive person] It made me uncomfortable the whole time from the first shot to the bitter end*; the working poor, altered states of reality and the decent into madness (as a means of escapism). I was squirming in my seat, not regretting the decision but not singing Sinatra songs on the way home.



    [Spoiler]

    *****

    *Question: Is this one of those movies where the whole thing was in the main characterís mind in a room alone? Also, without being a jerk, Arthur did not seem um, savvy enough to become his future self in the intelligence department.

  8. #4658
    Sausage King of Chicago
    santiclaws's Avatar
    Karma: 17022656
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    16,519
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3290 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    So, I’ll take it a few steps further (as always) if you shot this movie in black and white, cast French actors (subtitled for the States) and changed nothing else it could be called: Mime. Becoming a depiction of a marginalized family struggling with mental illness after their benefits have been discontinued.



    [Preface, super sensitive person] It made me uncomfortable the whole time from the first shot to the bitter end*; the working poor, altered states of reality and the decent into madness (as a means of escapism). I was squirming in my seat, not regretting the decision but not singing Sinatra songs on the way home.



    [Spoiler]

    *****

    *Question: Is this one of those movies where the whole thing was in the main character’s mind in a room alone? Also, without being a jerk, Arthur did not seem um, savvy enough to become his future self in the intelligence department.
    I think making you squirm was the intended effect. And it COULD be one of those movies where he's in a room alone, but I don't think so. Unreliable narrator yes, but he's not imagining his entire world. Probably.

  9. #4659
    Taxi Squad
    What party?'s Avatar
    Karma: 3611000
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    608 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    I think making you squirm was the intended effect. And it COULD be one of those movies where he's in a room alone, but I don't think so. Unreliable narrator yes, but he's not imagining his entire world. Probably.
    Fair enough but it just seemed deliberate that one of the first scenes was a flashback to Arthur being previously institutionalized when he was speaking to his caseworker. And, the end scene was a similar looking caseworker, (intentionally?) older-as if time had passed- and he was “back" in the institution “reminiscing” about all the things that had just accomplished as the “Joker”. Meh. Since I have zero comic book depth (origin story) my fresh eyes would assume that as soon as his mother was hospitalized with a serious disorder and being a byproduct of physical abuse, he would have become a ward of the state. Therefore…never left the grounds.



    On the plus: Glad everyone liked it.

  10. #4660
    Sausage King of Chicago
    santiclaws's Avatar
    Karma: 17022656
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    16,519
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3290 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by What party? View Post
    Fair enough but it just seemed deliberate that one of the first scenes was a flashback to Arthur being previously institutionalized when he was speaking to his caseworker. And, the end scene was a similar looking caseworker, (intentionally?) older-as if time had passed- and he was “back" in the institution “reminiscing” about all the things that had just accomplished as the “Joker”. Meh. Since I have zero comic book depth (origin story) my fresh eyes would assume that as soon as his mother was hospitalized with a serious disorder and being a byproduct of physical abuse, he would have become a ward of the state. Therefore…never left the grounds.
    You're not alone...

    Beetz, who portrays a neighbour of Joaquin Phoenix’s Arthur Fleck, told The Hollywood Reporter that almost everything depicted in the movie could simply be a figment of Fleck’s imagination.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •