Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    709 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Saw this last weekend, completely agree with all but the lamb stew.

Is it just me, or do you almost want to see a sequel?

There's definitely investment there, so, yeah; but the key word to me is "almost," because being left with that longing is one of the strong points of the movie.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    709 Post(s)

Gilbert — I enjoyed this documentary about Gilbert Gottfried. I'm not necessarily a huge Gilbert fan, but I thought it would be interesting to see the man behind the persona, and this movie provided more or less that, not in the usual sense, but in the sense that more of him is revealed in some of the moments that try less. It's not a must-see, earth-shattering documentary, but it was a worthwhile portrait. It's playing this week at Arena Cinelounge in Hollywood. Also available via various streaming services.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2789 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LetTigerIn View Post

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is one of my favorite films of the year. Quite possibly my favorite. I need to weigh it against a couple of other films in my head a while.

I had planned to make it a double feature movie day, but after seeing this one, I felt anything else would seem like a disappointment by comparison, so I skipped the second movie. I'm glad I did, because I ended up with a tasty Irish lamb stew instead.
    Saw the movie, sadly didn't get any lamb stew. Really, really good. Same writer/director as "In Bruges" and you definitely have some of the same juxtaposition of humor and really dark subject matter. Frances McDormand is superb as always, ditto for Sam Rockwell. Woody Harrelson continues to surprise with some serious acting chops, although I guess he shouldn't anymore.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4115 Post(s)

Saw this last night...I will save the waxing poetic for all the reviews that have done it better than I could. Besides, you all know I worship the man, so I doubt my opinion will be taken in good faith. All I can say is...go see it. Judge for yourself. It truly is fantasy at it's finest, and even if it wins all the Academy Awards, that will hardly be enough. The Q&A with Del Toro, Doug Jones and Michael Stuhlbarg was very insightful. The amount of research and prep work(and LOVE) GDT puts into a movie are impressive. This movie will hopefully get him the crossover appeal that has always eluded him. Saw it at the dome, and it looked lovely. This is a movie that deserves to be seen in a theater. Do yourself a favor.

Inanimate ****ing object
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2789 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post

Saw this last night...I will save the waxing poetic for all the reviews that have done it better than I could. Besides, you all know I worship the man, so I doubt my opinion will be taken in good faith. All I can say is...go see it. Judge for yourself. It truly is fantasy at it's finest, and even if it wins all the Academy Awards, that will hardly be enough. The Q&A with Del Toro, Doug Jones and Michael Stuhlbarg was very insightful. The amount of research and prep work(and LOVE) GDT puts into a movie are impressive. This movie will hopefully get him the crossover appeal that has always eluded him. Saw it at the dome, and it looked lovely. This is a movie that deserves to be seen in a theater. Do yourself a favor.
    I liked it, didn't love it. It lacks... subtlety. The characters are a bit two-dimensional, too black and white. Not anywhere near the sublime genius of Pan's Labyrinth, IMHO. Also, it prominently features one of my personal pet peeves - actors pretending to speak a foreign language and being lousy at it. Michael Stuhlbarg did a really admirable job (my guess is that he speaks Russian at least a bit), but the guy playing his KGB handler was incomprehensible without subtitles. One thing I've always admired about "The Americans" - most of their "Russians" are actually Russian. Is it really that difficult to find a native Russian speaker to play a small part? I realize that affects a tiny percentage of the audience, but still. Have a little pride in your work.

Otherwise, the performances were very good. Micheal Shannon is a force of nature, as usual.

CalgaryKing
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1028 Post(s)

Default Last Movie Watched

Watched "Mother!" yesterday. It was... interesting. Not something I'll need to see ever again.

LGK Agitator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Didn't want it to end. Awesome in every way.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4115 Post(s)

Pure magic. SEE THIS WITH AN AUDIENCE. You know when a movie threatens to go over the top...and just pulls out at the last minute?
    This ain't that movie. Weird thing...they don't go real graphic. But it's pretty brutal nonetheless. Good cast...and good crazy Nic Cage. Opens in limited theaters/vod/on demand this Friday.

P.s. besides the twistedness, Taylor's wacky directing style and the reluctance to actually give any real answers makes for a really fun movie. Nic Cage is just the cherry.

Got to see a q&a afterwards at TLC Chinese and the man himself was there. Kinda cool to be a couple rows away from that much crazy.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    366 Post(s)

Saw this. Oldman is amazing.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged