Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1 View Post
    Okay saw Ready Player One last night.

Once again I fall into the trap of Ender's Game in which I am such a fan of the book it was too hard not to pick out things they left out or changed. A lot of plot points blown by too quickly. He fell in love with Artemis pretty darn fast (I suppose what can you do in a 2 hour 20 minute movie)

However, visually it was pretty stunning. The animation, CGI, really made the Oasis come to life. And the CG facial expressions were pretty darn good. It felt like watching a video game for a good part of 2+ hours. I feel like I probably need to see again to find hidden gems, or "easter eggs" if you will (see what I did there).

One final thought - the music was of course great. But where was the Rush??
    Rush's music was nowhere to be found. Plenty of visual references, though. Aech's shirt. The poster in Halliday's room.

A LOT of cannon from the book was missing. I'd suspected when this movie's production started that that would be the case. How difficult and expensive would it have been to grab all the appropriate licensing? Also, I suspected they'd modernize the pop-culture of it a bit to grab the appeal of younger crowds who've never seen, read, played, or listened to a vast majority of the properties from the book.

Didn't care much for the plot changes (WAY too easy to get the Copper Key, for instance) or some of the aesthetic changes. Did have some fun finding easter eggs (my favorite was spotting Spike Spiegel's Swordfish II Monoracer from Cowboy Bebop sitting in Aech's hangar).

Still...after I got over the disappointment of it being "Not Like The Book," I thought it was worth seeing. Our 13-year-old daughter loved it, as well.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1260 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
    Rush's music was nowhere to be found. Plenty of visual references, though. Aech's shirt. The poster in Halliday's room.

A LOT of cannon from the book was missing. I'd suspected when this movie's production started that that would be the case. How difficult and expensive would it have been to grab all the appropriate licensing? Also, I suspected they'd modernize the pop-culture of it a bit to grab the appeal of younger crowds who've never seen, read, played, or listened to a vast majority of the properties from the book.

Didn't care much for the plot changes (WAY too easy to get the Copper Key, for instance) or some of the aesthetic changes. Did have some fun finding easter eggs (my favorite was spotting Spike Spiegel's Swordfish II Monoracer from Cowboy Bebop sitting in Aech's hangar).

Still...after I got over the disappointment of it being "Not Like The Book," I thought it was worth seeing. Our 13-year-old daughter loved it, as well.
    I believe when Spielberg started the project he said he wasn't going to use any of his own properties. That might explain some of it.
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

User formerly known as

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FBJ View Post

I loved it even though it was way different then the book. My youngest (19) thought completely different and just couldn't get her mind around it and hated it.

I looked at it like the original Dune theater release. It was a hot mess but at least Lynch tried to bring to life the vision we had in our mind while reading the book.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    375 Post(s)

True to their history of bringing groundbreaking shows then canceling them cause they cost too much

SyFy channel is canceling The Expanse , hopefully Netflix or another network will pick it up

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expa...ed-1202388026/
    "Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4481 Post(s)

In keeping with that theme...

A Trailer For The Canceled ‘Tremors’ TV Show Has Surfaced And It Looks Like The Sequel The Original Deserved
    https://uproxx.com/tv/tremors-tv-sho...in-bacon-syfy/

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    759 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    In keeping with that theme...

A Trailer For The Canceled ‘Tremors’ TV Show Has Surfaced And It Looks Like The Sequel The Original Deserved
    https://uproxx.com/tv/tremors-tv-sho...in-bacon-syfy/

waah! Why were we deprived of this?

I can only hope they passed because they insisted on Fred Ward, too.

Sausage King of Chicago
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3034 Post(s)

Currently playing at the Arclight in Hollywood.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4481 Post(s)

Want to See the Nightmarish Monster Bear from ‘Annihilation’ in All Its Glory?
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3...ilation-glory/

Seriously...see this when it hits digital. You should have seen it in a theater.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4481 Post(s)

[SXSW Review] ‘Upgrade’ Is a Lot of Goofy Fun
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews...lot-goofy-fun/

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)