Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1249 Post(s)

Bump!

Im looking for a new brine recipe, what you got?
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

User formerly known as

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) \_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notbob View Post
    Bump!

Im looking for a new brine recipe, what you got?
    Here's what I do:

FOR THE BRINE
    1 gallon vegetable stock
    1 cup Kosher salt
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    3 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1 tablespoon dried rosemary
    1 tablespoon dried sage
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1 tablespoon dried savory
    2 bay leaves
    1 gallon heavily iced water
    1 turkey, 12 to 22 pounds

FOR THE AROMATICS
    1 red apple, sliced
    1/2 onion, sliced
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 cup water
    4 sprigs rosemary
    4 sprigs sage (or about 1/4 cup fresh leaves)
    softened butter
    melted butter

Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, peppercorns, rosemary, sage, thyme, savory and bay leaves in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.

Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 24 to 48 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.

Place the bird on roasting rack inside a roasting pan and pat dry with paper towels.

Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Spread softened butter under the skin of the breast and wherever else desired. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with melted butter.

Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.

I just got this in the brine on Sunday night (I like to soak it a long time). Usually this is my only responsibility, but I'm doing everything this year. Turkey, ham, bacon-almond green beans, grandma's stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, apple pie, pumpkin pie...

I'm already tired...
    "And then scoring three goals on the power play to really shove it up their butts was really awesome." -Drew Doughty, January 2nd, 2018 @ EDM post-game quote.

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1249 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krussadams View Post
    Here's what I do:

FOR THE BRINE
    1 gallon vegetable stock
    1 cup Kosher salt
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    3 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1 tablespoon dried rosemary
    1 tablespoon dried sage
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1 tablespoon dried savory
    2 bay leaves
    1 gallon heavily iced water
    1 turkey, 12 to 22 pounds

FOR THE AROMATICS
    1 red apple, sliced
    1/2 onion, sliced
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 cup water
    4 sprigs rosemary
    4 sprigs sage (or about 1/4 cup fresh leaves)
    softened butter
    melted butter

Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, peppercorns, rosemary, sage, thyme, savory and bay leaves in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.

Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 24 to 48 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.

Place the bird on roasting rack inside a roasting pan and pat dry with paper towels.

Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Spread softened butter under the skin of the breast and wherever else desired. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with melted butter.

Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.

I just got this in the brine on Sunday night (I like to soak it a long time). Usually this is my only responsibility, but I'm doing everything this year. Turkey, ham, bacon-almond green beans, grandma's stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, apple pie, pumpkin pie...

I'm already tired...
    I hear ya. I am doing two trukeys this year. One on the smoker and one in the oven. I am actually trying to get away from the vegetable stock brine but i might give the Worcestershire a try. Looks like you have taken Alton's recipe and tweaked it?
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

User formerly known as

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) \_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notbob View Post
    I hear ya. I am doing two trukeys this year. One on the smoker and one in the oven. I am actually trying to get away from the vegetable stock brine but i might give the Worcestershire a try. Looks like you have taken Alton's recipe and tweaked it?
    I'm using the smoker as a second oven and holding warmer, lol. Yep, it's Alton's with a tweak or two. He's never steered me wrong...I'm making his apple pie as well.

I usually just use Knorr boullion cubes to make the stock, but grabbed some "Better Than Boullion" this year. I'm sure you could swap it out with chicken or turkey stock, and it would be just as good. Even omitting the stock would probably be great, but maybe add in some rough-chopped onion.
    "And then scoring three goals on the power play to really shove it up their butts was really awesome." -Drew Doughty, January 2nd, 2018 @ EDM post-game quote.

FIRE BETTMAN!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

basic brine is water salt and and brown sugar. add others to your liking.

for mine, I added worcestershire sauce, onion, lemon, garlic, cracked pepper. and saved the drippings for the gravy. omg the smokiness...
    Last edited by BeerMan; November 27th, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
    I BELIEVE I'll have another beer!

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) \_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

Here's how it turned out, BTW: