Thread: WWE RAW, Smackdown, & PPV Discussion Thread 2012 & 2013

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    797 Post(s)

The first time I met Gene Okerlund must have been around 1987. A friend and I saw him backstage taking a break between promos, and we struck up a conversation. My friend and I mentioned that we missed him on play-by-play, and that we loved a call he would make that was just a sound. Before, we could explain any further, Mean Gene let out that famous bellow, and it echoed through the empty concourse. I was delighted. Though age may diminish me eventually, I will never forget that perfect moment.

Rest in peace, Gene Mean.

Team Melf.
    Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    638 Post(s)

I really hope AEW is going to be awesome and not TNA.
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1086 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    I really hope AEW is going to be awesome and not TNA.
    Cody doesn't seem like he'd be one to let it go like that. But yeah they've got some big money behind it. And with the young bucks et al they've definitely got some talent. Curious to see where Omega goes, and how New Japan progresses now.

Update: Chris Jericho and Neville (aka Pac) have apparently signed with AEW with Double or Nothing taking place May 25th in Vegas.
    Last edited by ucsdguy1; January 9th, 2019 at 09:02 AM.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3705 Post(s)

First off, RIP Mean Gene.

What's eerie was that I was catching up on the Edge and Christian show on the Network just a day before he passed and Mean Gene was hilarious in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1 View Post
    Cody doesn't seem like he'd be one to let it go like that. But yeah they've got some big money behind it. And with the young bucks et al they've definitely got some talent. Curious to see where Omega goes, and how New Japan progresses now.

Update: Chris Jericho and Neville (aka Pac) have apparently signed with AEW with Double or Nothing taking place May 25th in Vegas.
    I'm personally rooting for the success of AEW. Like you said it looks like some billionare is funding it so he's serious about it (for now). Who knows how fast he'll fold if it doesn't work out. But for now, everything they've announced is good.

A couple of big things they've announced is equal pay. Depending on what that is, I can see them getting more female talent easily because they won't make close to that amount in the WWE when starting out. Then you got a lighter work schedule with healthcare and whatnot. That sounds like a huge deal in the world of wrestling.

I think I speak for most (if not all of us) that as wrestling fans, we need AEW to succeed in some way since TNA couldn't make a dent. As loyal as I may be to WWE, we need Vince to sweat just a little. It's the only way the product will change for the better.
    Last edited by TooCool; January 9th, 2019 at 11:39 AM.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1086 Post(s)

It's early, but why not my surprise picks to enter the royal rumble:

Men's - any of the following:
    1. Velveteen Dream (he can come up with any entrance he so deems fit!)
    2. Ricochet (depending on outcome of his now seeming match with Gargano. I don't see Gargano getting the call yet even for one night)
    3. Aleister Black (introduce the wwe universe to him even if he doesn't get called up right away)
    4. Pete Dunne (let him bruise some people!)
    5. Matt Riddle (just comedic enough to be interesting)
    6. Kenny Omega (severe long shot, and I'd hate to see him actually show up and not win the rumble. Imagine though if they made some kind of deal for a one-off. But never going to happen)

Note: EC3/Heavy Machinery/Lars Sullivan already have been promo'd ad naseum on wwe tv, so I wouldn't call any of them a surprise. Hopefully they don't just settle for these guys and it's one or two besides them.

Women's
    1. Toni Storm (I mean, come on)
    2. Candace Lerae (to let her do something?)
    3. Io Shirai (because she could do some gnarly stuff in the air to eliminate herself and others mercifully)

I would obviously say Dakota Kai if she wasn't injured. Same comment as the men for Evans/Cross.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3705 Post(s)

So I'm actually watching RAW right now for the first time in probably 4-5 months. I did miss the first 90 minutes since I just got home not long ago. But I have to admit, I like this odd new format.

They have FULL ring entrances, not interrupted by commercial. (Balor just had two full entrances tonight.) They also didn't start a match and then go to commercial after 30 seconds... though I guess they technically did that to start the Fatal Four Way main event.

After Lashley won the IC Title in a good triple threat match, they immediately put up a graphic that said the Fatal Four Way is still to come and A Moment of Bliss segment was next. They're telling you ahead of time what's coming up and that's actually a nice refreshing change.

And I guess they're saying that EC3, Lacey Evans, Nikki Cross, and Heavy Machinery will be on both shows while they get "evaluated", whatever that means. Otis showed up to interrupt Alexa's segment though and I'm guessing he's an idiot? I suppose if that's the gimmick they wanna give him... Also, did you guys hear about Lars Sullivan? Apparently the dirt sheets said he was suppose to be thrown into a major feud with John Cena and for whatever reason he had anxiety attacks and haven't been in contact with WWE for over a week now. Hope all is okay with him.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1086 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    So I'm actually watching RAW right now for the first time in probably 4-5 months. I did miss the first 90 minutes since I just got home not long ago. But I have to admit, I like this odd new format.

They have FULL ring entrances, not interrupted by commercial. (Balor just had two full entrances tonight.) They also didn't start a match and then go to commercial after 30 seconds... though I guess they technically did that to start the Fatal Four Way main event.

After Lashley won the IC Title in a good triple threat match, they immediately put up a graphic that said the Fatal Four Way is still to come and A Moment of Bliss segment was next. They're telling you ahead of time what's coming up and that's actually a nice refreshing change.

And I guess they're saying that EC3, Lacey Evans, Nikki Cross, and Heavy Machinery will be on both shows while they get "evaluated", whatever that means. Otis showed up to interrupt Alexa's segment though and I'm guessing he's an idiot? I suppose if that's the gimmick they wanna give him... Also, did you guys hear about Lars Sullivan? Apparently the dirt sheets said he was suppose to be thrown into a major feud with John Cena and for whatever reason he had anxiety attacks and haven't been in contact with WWE for over a week now. Hope all is okay with him.
    I'm guessing Strowman is still injured, hence writing him out of the royal rumble match. He sure can still flip a limo though? Credit to them for giving Balor the chance, but sad to know he has absolutely zero chance of beating Lesnar at the rumble. Unless he unleashes the demon but I hope they don't waste it on that moment. Lesnar will have the title going into Wrestlemania. In fact I'd be reeeally mad if they brought out the demon and Lesnar beats him anyway.

Similarly, it's nice to see Banks get in a title match again, but I don't think she has any shot at all of beating Rousey before Wrestlemania. Would've liked her and Bayley to stay focused on the women's tag team titles. Which she may well do as Bliss said the women's tag titles will be decided at Elimination Chamber between 3 Raw and 3 Smackdown tag teams. That may have potential. Side note, what the heck did the production assistant walking in on a topless bliss have to do with anything?

Nice intro for Dotis, I guess? That seems to be what they're going with. I thought Cross had a somewhat good introduction as she got a good amount of action in her match. Crowd seemed pretty dead through it. I thought she should come in as a crazy heel. Was weird to see her hug and high five Bayley. Did not hear about Sullivan. That is crazy.

Does Cena do much at all nowadays except put people over?

Surprised Lashley won the title. What does that do for Ambrose? Does anyone care about Lashley?
    Last edited by ucsdguy1; January 15th, 2019 at 11:50 AM.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1086 Post(s)

And not sure why they changed Almas' name to just "Andrade", but that match with Mysterior was another fantastic one last night.

And this was a thing

My favorite parts were the "oh yeaaah" vs. "oh noooo" and the timing on unzipping of the jacket to reveal the man shirt (and big e just repeatedly rubbing his chest)
    Last edited by ucsdguy1; January 17th, 2019 at 08:10 AM.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1086 Post(s)

oh and yeah get pumped

Takeover: Phoenix

Aleister Black vs. Tommaso Ciampa (c) for the NXT championship
    Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Bianca Belair for the Women’s title
    Johnny Gargano vs. Ricochet (c) for the North American championship
    War Raiders vs. Undisputed ERA (c) for the NXT Tag titles
    Matt Riddle vs. Kassius Ohno

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1086 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1 View Post
    oh and yeah get pumped

Takeover: Phoenix

Aleister Black vs. Tommaso Ciampa (c) for the NXT championship
    Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Bianca Belair for the Women’s title
    Johnny Gargano vs. Ricochet (c) for the North American championship
    War Raiders vs. Undisputed ERA (c) for the NXT Tag titles
    Matt Riddle vs. Kassius Ohno
    Yeah after the go home show last night, I'm amped!

1. You guys, Velveteen Dream in a cowboy hat. He had some cryptic tweets this week about now showing up again until "we" determine his worth. Guess that didn't last long. He's got the best facial expressions of anyone, and can have a good match with anyone (how well did he sell the leg shots from Fish). Set the seeds for a run at the North American championship, but a feud with Adam Cole first could be quite good. It's a shame velveteen isn't in a Takeover match, of course if Cole/Fish decide to get involved in the War Raiders match he'll surely make himself known? This small part would let him have time and energy to enter the royal rumble Interesting he also planted a few seeds for dissension in Undisputed with the "if it's okay with Adam" line.

2. DIY Dark inching closer....and Ciampa's gonna ruin Gargano's marriage! It's hard for me to see Ricochet losing the North American title so soon, but imagine Ciampa helping him win, Gargano in turn helping Tommaso win and both of them holding titles together?

3. Pretty sure Shirai/Sane as a tag team might make TooCool's head explode.

4. Lorch/Burch vs. Barthel/Eichner - this match was too good for me to not really know much about who these guys are.

Also, the rag sheets saying Rousey may be done with wwe after Wrestlemania?