Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115
Results 1,141 to 1,149 of 1149

Thread: The BBQ/Smokers/Smoked Meats Thread...

FIRE BETTMAN!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    615 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notbob View Post
    Open box sale for the Smoke from Thermoworks

http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-OP?...ox-Reminder-cs
    the gateway device comes with the kit now? sonuvabitch! can it work with the existing kit that I have?
    I BELIEVE I'll have another beer!

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMan View Post
    the gateway device comes with the kit now? sonuvabitch! can it work with the existing kit that I have?
    No clue. I'm still using the maverick
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

FIRE BETTMAN!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    615 Post(s)

which one?
    if it wasn't for the Smoke, I woulda gotten the 733.

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMan View Post
    which one?
    if it wasn't for the Smoke, I woulda gotten the 733.
    The 732
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

FIRE BETTMAN!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    615 Post(s)

the Gateway is sold separately for $89. I'll just wait for the open-box sale.

FIRE BETTMAN!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    615 Post(s)

https://operationbbqrelief.org/

"Operation BBQ Relief is mobilizing assets and securing resources to address the impending destruction that currently is in the path of Hurricane Harvey. We are prepared to feed the first responders and people affected by this monster storm. However, we will need your help. Yes you. We will need volunteers and donations to fill the need that Harvey will cause. If you can give some time, we will need it. If you can give money or donations in kind, we need that too. Please click on the link and give whatever you can. We appreciate and respect your time and money.

Donate: https://operationbbqrelief.org/apis/volunteer/donation "

\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

So I got a craving for some kalua pork. Picked up a sizeable 8.5 lb pork butt, some Hawaiian sea salt and some banana leaves. Away we went...

Ready to start:

Scored and salted:

Ready for wrapping:

Wrapped and fit to be tied:

All tied up with somewhere to go:

Foiled again:

Threw it into the smoker at 225, no smoke for now since it's foiled. I'll unwrap it when it hits 160 or so and start the mesquite pallets and pull it at 190. I expect this to go for anywhere from 10 to 14 hours. Let it rest an hour or so and get to shredding.

Some interesting things I picked up while reading up on this:

It's amazing how many people think kalua pork includes Kahlua liqueur in some way. I read posts by some that took a legit kalua pork recipe and added Kahlua (and a bunch of other crap) to it when they weren't satisfied. Kalua pork is nothing more than pork, salt, smoke and time. Traditionally, it's hit with red alaea sea salt, wrapped in ti leaves, then cooked in an underground pit fueled by kiawe wood. I went with regular sea salt as my local 99 Ranch didn't have the red. Ti leaves and kiawe are not easy to find over here, so I went with banana leaves and mesquite (a cousin of kiawe).

I think a lot of dissatisfaction I read about was due to palate. Most folks smoking pork butt are coating it with a rub, smoking, pulling and maybe soaking it in some sauce. The flavor of the pork can get masked that way, so when you do nothing but salt, smoke and time, it's just the pork. Probably one of the purest expressions of it, but an unusual taste for most. But me...I adore good kalua pork.

\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)

So I woke up at about 7 this morning, and found the internal temp was at 170. So I got up and got things together, and by the time I got out there it was up to 174 . I opened her up and threw in the mesquite pellets and let it go. Went to do the lawn, and checked on the temp every now and then. It had reached 178 briefly, then dropped to 174 and held there for quite a while. So I finished up the lawn and went back there and by that time it was back up to 178. I checked it with an instant read and that showed 181, so I pulled it (~10:30) before it dried out too much.

Brought it in, wrapped it in foil and let it rest in the oven for about an hour and a half. Then I pulled it out to shred. Bone came out clean, but not super easy. A little tough on the outside in one or two spots, but not bad. Only problem was that when I pulled it from the smoker, I found that the pellets had gone out. From the looks of it, maybe 5 or 10 minutes of smoke got through.

In any case, it shredded quite nicely, and I collected all the drippings in the smoker and added those back in and it tastes great. Maybe a tweak or two for next time, but all around not bad at all for just heat and salt...and the tiniest bit of smoke.

Opened and ready for the not smoke:

Ready to plate up:
    "Bob Miller did a great job for the Kings for over a number of years." -Daryl Evans, March 23, 2017.

FIRE BETTMAN!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    615 Post(s)

to some, 203 is the magic number. not only is the pork easier to shred, but it obtains a nice bark.