Page 112 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1157

Thread: The BBQ/Smokers/Smoked Meats Thread...

\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    711 Post(s)

So the bacon is done. Methinks there's some fine tuning to do, and I think I know where I probably screwed up a little. It wasn't totally ruined...just could be better.

Out of the cure and rinsed clean:

Then it was back in the fridge to let it dry a bit and develop that pellicle for smoking. Instructions I read said give it about 3 days. I should have checked it sooner, as I think it went a little too far:

One thing I did learn, though, is that little A-Maze-N smoker contraption was outright ****ing awesome. I loaded it with a mix of apple and corn cob pellets, and let it run with the smoker off. It smoked a good 8 hours before I pulled the slab, and when I checked the pellets, it had burned through only 2/3 of them. That's better than I expected. Money very well spent IMO.

Post-smoke:

I cut off a slice and fried it. It was good, but it was too thick of a slice. More reminiscent of ham than bacon, but still pretty damn good...though a little dry. I've got it in the freezer to make thinner slices easier, and hopefully that will help some. We'll see.

Next time, I think I'll try the brining method for curing, let dry overnight once cured and since my new Masterbuilt electric smoker arrived today, I should be set for perfect bacon with the other half of the slab.
    "Bob Miller did a great job for the Kings for over a number of years." -Daryl Evans, March 23, 2017.

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krussadams View Post
    So the bacon is done. Methinks there's some fine tuning to do, and I think I know where I probably screwed up a little. It wasn't totally ruined...just could be better.

Out of the cure and rinsed clean:

Then it was back in the fridge to let it dry a bit and develop that pellicle for smoking. Instructions I read said give it about 3 days. I should have checked it sooner, as I think it went a little too far:

One thing I did learn, though, is that little A-Maze-N smoker contraption was outright ****ing awesome. I loaded it with a mix of apple and corn cob pellets, and let it run with the smoker off. It smoked a good 8 hours before I pulled the slab, and when I checked the pellets, it had burned through only 2/3 of them. That's better than I expected. Money very well spent IMO.

Post-smoke:

I cut off a slice and fried it. It was good, but it was too thick of a slice. More reminiscent of ham than bacon, but still pretty damn good...though a little dry. I've got it in the freezer to make thinner slices easier, and hopefully that will help some. We'll see.

Next time, I think I'll try the brining method for curing, let dry overnight once cured and since my new Masterbuilt electric smoker arrived today, I should be set for perfect bacon with the other half of the slab.
    Looks good man.

Unfortunately the Amaze-n doesn't work in my gas smoker. The burner sucks out all the air. I havent been successful trying to get a mailbox mod to work. I need to try working on it again
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    711 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notbob View Post
    Looks good man.

Unfortunately the Amaze-n doesn't work in my gas smoker. The burner sucks out all the air. I havent been successful trying to get a mailbox mod to work. I need to try working on it again
    Thanks. That is a badass mod. Thank you for pointing that one out. I just read some folks have trouble with the A-Maze-N in the MES. Once I get the MES up and running, I'll have to do a test and see if I have those issues. If so, I'll be buying a mailbox soon.

What kind of issues are you seeing with the mailbox mod?
    "Bob Miller did a great job for the Kings for over a number of years." -Daryl Evans, March 23, 2017.

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krussadams View Post
    Thanks. That is a badass mod. Thank you for pointing that one out. I just read some folks have trouble with the A-Maze-N in the MES. Once I get the MES up and running, I'll have to do a test and see if I have those issues. If so, I'll be buying a mailbox soon.

What kind of issues are you seeing with the mailbox mod?
    I wasn't comfortable using a painted mailbox so I went with an untreated aluminum box but it might be too small. The smoke isn't drawing through the duct and out the smoker

Show me your hands..now!
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)

Tony Chachere's Original Creole seasoning. We bought it at Stater Bros and it is outstanding. Sorry, I don't know how to post a picture. 8 oz container

\_(ツ)_/
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    711 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notbob View Post
    I wasn't comfortable using a painted mailbox so I went with an untreated aluminum box but it might be too small. The smoke isn't drawing through the duct and out the smoker
    Hmmm. Did you try a few extra holes in the side of the box opposite the smoke outlet pipe?

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)

No but I just made the hole to the duct bigger. If that doesnt work i will try your suggestion.

Hell yes.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    242 Post(s)

Haven't used my smoker in a while so I had to show it some love today with a quick smoking session. A couple of tri-tips and some corn. Turned out quite good.

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnholyGoalie View Post
    Haven't used my smoker in a while so I had to show it some love today with a quick smoking session. A couple of tri-tips and some corn. Turned out quite good.

I made a tri tip tonight too. O I also threw on 15lbs of pork shoulder

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)

So I did a little bit of smoking this week for a party this Saturday.

Anyone have suggestions on what kind of bread I should get? I was thinking Hawaiian rolls and hamburger buns. I also don't know what kind of quantity I should get. I made about 28lbs of meat for 30-40 people