Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)

** SPOILERS **

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    And like jd the post credit scenes are a giant WTF to any true Spidey fans ... I am really PO'ed about the first one ...
    As a non-comic guy, isn't it pretty much a staple of Spider-Man's storylines to have a constant worry about juggling his personal and Spidey life?

So the (re)introduction of J Jonah Jameson (yay!) and this new Daily Bugle concept and this twist as Spider-Man being the bad guy and the big reveal of his identity may not be terribly out of line. Plus, it opens a whole new "Spider-Man on the run" kind of story and a lot more weight on the usual "Spider-Man wanted by the police" plots.

And there are a lot of people talking about the parallel between Tony and Peter in that the new Tony Stark now also has his identity revealed. Only it's not in the same way as his mentor.

the second one is basically a "huh?"
    From things I've read, this may be connected to a 2004 storyline developed by Joss Whedon in the comics where a space version of SHIELD, called SWORD, exists. And SWORD is based on a space station in orbit called the Peak. So, with no more SHIELD in place after Winter Soldier, this may be Nick Fury's replacement organization, manned mostly by Skrulls with whom he and Captain Marvel have already made an alliance.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    798 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    I loved Mysterio. And whoever was responsible for such a faithful yet entirely distinct version deserves praise for cracking a villain who is tricky to translate from the comics. And Watts is the right director for the job. Despite the differences from the Spider Man of my youth (cell phones, diversity)**** I had no problems identifying with the young characters.
    Indeed.

****before someone calls me racist/phobic/insincere, I grew up in the 70s. Spiderman was Archie comics with web slinging. All the characters were white. Statement of fact. So yes, I identify with that era simply because it was as things were presented. Doubt my sincerity all you want.
    All white?! Don't forget about Robbie!

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4670 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LetTigerIn View Post
    Indeed.

All white?! Don't forget about Robbie!
    Apologies. Yes, I forgot about the rich multi-cultural tapestry that the 70s comic books marginalized. In my defense, if the character didn't have BLACK in the name, with the exception of Luke Cage, did they really exist?

Halloween Dolphin!
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2360 Post(s)

Apologies. Yes, I forgot about the rich multi-cultural tapestry that the 70s comic books marginalized. In my defense, if the character didn't have BLACK in the name, with the exception of Luke Cage, did they really exist?
    How about Black Widow?

They missed their chance for a female comics Blaxploitation character that kills men, haha. :D

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    431 Post(s)

You boys needed to read Master of Kung Fu ... plenty of race specific folks in that truly under rated masterpiece!

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    798 Post(s)

You boys needed to read Master of Kung Fu ... plenty of race specific folks in that truly under rated masterpiece!
    I love Shang Chi, Black Jack Tarr, and Rufus "Super Midnight" Carter. Used to save up my money to trek down to the local shop for the latest Master of Kung Fu and an Aspen. Good times.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4670 Post(s)

I feel so terribly white since my fave Kung-fu comic was Daniel Rand, Iron Fist. I was a huge fan of Heroes for Hire, Cage was dy-no-mite!!!!

Halloween Dolphin!
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2360 Post(s)

I am aware of that Master of Kung Fu comic, but have never read it.

See, I don't mind changing the races of comic book characters per se. Each character is different. But the 70's went crazy with characters of color. Storm. Luke Cage. Blade. Master of Kung Fu. So on and so forth.

Why not create more original characters like that. Not just take old characters and change their race. Would work out better in the long run, no?

I mean, Storm, so many decades later, is still awesome. She wasn't a Black version of this or that, she was just Storm.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    431 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    I am aware of that Master of Kung Fu comic, but have never read it.

See, I don't mind changing the races of comic book characters per se. Each character is different. But the 70's went crazy with characters of color. Storm. Luke Cage. Blade. Master of Kung Fu. So on and so forth.

Why not create more original characters like that. Not just take old characters and change their race. Would work out better in the long run, no?

I mean, Storm, so many decades later, is still awesome. She wasn't a Black version of this or that, she was just Storm.
    Shang Chi was the best. I still have the double issue where he went mainstream and had a white, blonde girlfriend. He really was what Kung Fu should've been on TV. Don't get me wrong Carradine ended up doing well but Bruce Lee would've been so awesome ... this is even more modern look then I am used to

This was his look when I was an avid reader

Just... just listen.
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post

I don't know that the MCU is the place to be introducing new characters, though. Add enough of them and it kinda stops being a Marvel movie, right? It becomes Thor and a buncha newbs. Better to add a character like an established Kamala Khan and her story from the comics.

Not only that, there is value to bending these characters, gender or ethnicity-wise. It's one thing to see a new person of color on the screen in a prominent role, like having Sam Jackson as Nick Fury or seeing Tessa Thompson and Idris Elba as respected, powerful Asgardian characters. But it'll be a whole 'nother level of meaning to see Sam Wilson carrying that shield in the next movie. Or if you brought, say, a Cyclops into the fold where he's played by an Asian actor or something.

Doing that kind of sends a signal that "That's not just for them. This can be us, too." And that can be a really meaningful thing for lots of people.

"Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."