Click Here!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Dodgers 2012-13 Off-Season Thread

The Ethier contract is horrible. The Dodgers would have to pay so much of it that it would be pointless to trade him.

Time wounds all heels. Stormy2213's Avatar

Disclosure - lifelong Giants fan here. But also lifelong Kings fan so....I won't troll, I promise. I don't know a lot of Dodger fans and figure that I could come here to the friendly confines of LGK to ask a serious question.

Given the new ownership group and their unlimited access to money, what do you all think of the huge spending that the Dodgers are doing in order to field a lineup? I don't ask out of jealousy b/c I firmly believe that it's not going to do them much more good or serve them well, ultimately. I ask b/c I know a lot of you grew up with the great Dodger teams of the past who had the same players year in and year out - and who just killed my Giants year in and year out btw (I STILL hate Cey, Russell, Lopes, and Garvey!)....I know you will always be Dodger fans, don't get me wrong. I just wonder how you feel about the way they are putting the team together.

I will say this as well, I know the Giants, too, have a large payroll, but post Bonds they have invested heavily in player development and in drafting top notch pitching assets which they have used to fill holes (the comparisons between the LA Kings and SF Giants organizations aren't out of line). I'd be interested in hearing from you all. Thanks in advance.

Everybody relax, I'm here KingThomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy2213 View Post
    Disclosure - lifelong Giants fan here. But also lifelong Kings fan so....I won't troll, I promise. I don't know a lot of Dodger fans and figure that I could come here to the friendly confines of LGK to ask a serious question.

Given the new ownership group and their unlimited access to money, what do you all think of the huge spending that the Dodgers are doing in order to field a lineup? I don't ask out of jealousy b/c I firmly believe that it's not going to do them much more good or serve them well, ultimately. I ask b/c I know a lot of you grew up with the great Dodger teams of the past who had the same players year in and year out - and who just killed my Giants year in and year out btw (I STILL hate Cey, Russell, Lopes, and Garvey!)....I know you will always be Dodger fans, don't get me wrong. I just wonder how you feel about the way they are putting the team together.

I will say this as well, I know the Giants, too, have a large payroll, but post Bonds they have invested heavily in player development and in drafting top notch pitching assets which they have used to fill holes (the comparisons between the LA Kings and SF Giants organizations aren't out of line). I'd be interested in hearing from you all. Thanks in advance.
    To be honest, I think most true fans are uncomfortable with the idea of the spending spree. How many rookies of the year have the Dodgers had in the past 4 decades? Home grown talent and superb pitching from the farm has always been a staple of Dodger baseball. To get away from that and play the Monopoly Game of talent isn't exactly what Angelinos are used to (one of LA's NBA franchises excluded).

Though I will admit, after the McCourt era, mixed in with the Stow tragedy, this is exactly what the Dodgers needed, and casting all humility aside, deserve. Not to offend a fan of any Major League club or city, but the MLB franchises that command respect due to sheer number of fans and legacy are the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs. Dodgers fans deserve better than the last era, and deserve a contender.

As mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, the fact that the Dodgers are investing in scouting and infrastructure helps ease the mind when it comes to this initial spending, as I am sure the revived scouting will help bring back the tradition of grooming foreign and domestic talent from within.

Does anyone have an update on Yasiel Puig? Last I heard he's playing Winter Ball in Puerto Rico but I haven't seen any stats.

The Dodgers are taking major steps to revamp their scouting and development. The problem is that McCourt's tenure bled the farm system and development system practically dry, so the Dodgers HAVE to spend this money now to fill these positions that they have no one coming through the minors for (I don't think I can possibly describe what a terrible place McCourt left the Dodgers in). That being said, Kasten has been bluntly clear (via his words and actions) that scouting, drafting, and developing is the way he builds organizations. They have hired about a dozen renowned international scouts and front office types to assist in the rebuilding of the farm system since Guggenheim took over (I think I posted the links...I'll have to go back and look). Kasten has said on numerous occasions not to expect the extravagant spending on free agents and such to be the norm. It's to cover themselves until their reworked farm system can start producing talent.

I think that's the whole common misconception about the Dodgers right now; people just think they're going to solely attempt to buy championships from here on out while completely ignoring the fact that there is massive foundational building occurring in the organization right now.

Hopefully that helps answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    Does anyone have an update on Yasiel Puig? Last I heard he's playing Winter Ball in Puerto Rico but I haven't seen any stats.
    Ask and you shall receive.

Yasiel Puig is 9-for-33 (.273) with a home run, seven RBI, and an ugly 1/13 BB:K ratio. He missed about 10 days with a knee injury.
    Down On The Farm: Winter Leagues – Dominguez, Sulbaran, Garcia, Puig, Miller | Chad Moriyama

Professional Agitator FlyBono24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingThomas View Post
    To be honest, I think most true fans are uncomfortable with the idea of the spending spree. How many rookies of the year have the Dodgers had in the past 4 decades? Home grown talent and superb pitching from the farm has always been a staple of Dodger baseball. To get away from that and play the Monopoly Game of talent isn't exactly what Angelinos are used to (one of LA's NBA franchises excluded).

Though I will admit, after the McCourt era, mixed in with the Stow tragedy, this is exactly what the Dodgers needed, and casting all humility aside, deserve. Not to offend a fan of any Major League club or city, but the MLB franchises that command respect due to sheer number of fans and legacy are the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs. Dodgers fans deserve better than the last era, and deserve a contender.

As mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, the fact that the Dodgers are investing in scouting and infrastructure helps ease the mind when it comes to this initial spending, as I am sure the revived scouting will help bring back the tradition of grooming foreign and domestic talent from within.
    Hopefully... the Dodgers tradition has been to build your team through home-grown talent from the Minors. The last few years have been spending money on overpriced (and underproducing) free agents like Uribe, Schmidt, K.Brown, etc.) and trading off some of our best prospects. I am hoping the current spending spree pays off for now with all the new Red Sox guys (Crawford, Gonzo, Beckett) and of course the new big boy in Greinke... but that they also keep guys like Puig and Zach Lee and all of our other top prospects... and maybe swing some deals for other teams' prospects in exchange for guys like Lilly and Harang.

Time wounds all heels. Stormy2213's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keyTOarson View Post
    I think that's the whole common misconception about the Dodgers right now; people just think they're going to solely attempt to buy championships from here on out while completely ignoring the fact that there is massive foundational building occurring in the organization right now.

Hopefully that helps answer your question.
    Thanks for the reply. It's kinda hard to ignore the fact that they are spending a TON of money on a sort of "all-star" roster - which does come off as Yankee-esque/trying to buy a championship. It can't be denied that they really have overpaid quite a bit for some of the guys they brought it. That's the part that I'm curious about from the fans perspective. Is it a "no big deal, as long as they win I'm ok with it" type thing or something else? I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if the Giants were to do the same. I'd love that they win, if that turned out to be what happened. But I'm wondering if I'd feel a little twinge in my gut about it? It's just an interesting thing to me more than anything.

Everybody relax, I'm here KingThomas's Avatar

Thanks for the reply. It's kinda hard to ignore the fact that they are spending a TON of money on a sort of "all-star" roster - which does come off as Yankee-esque/trying to buy a championship. It can't be denied that they really have overpaid quite a bit for some of the guys they brought it. That's the part that I'm curious about from the fans perspective. Is it a "no big deal, as long as they win I'm ok with it" type thing or something else? I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if the Giants were to do the same. I'd love that they win, if that turned out to be what happened. But I'm wondering if I'd feel a little twinge in my gut about it? It's just an interesting thing to me more than anything.
    Regardless of the Dodgers fan perspective, the fans of every other MLB team, the pundits, and even the casual observer, has cast their opinion. At this point for the Dodgers, its a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. I live in SouthOC , swimming in a sea of Angels Red, and I've heard the initial volley of trash talk from both angles already.

"Great that your team can buy a championship -sarcasm"
    or
    "HA! Spent all that $$$ and look what it got you!"

(funny coming from a fan of a team owned by Arturo Moreno)

As a Dodger fan, the spending spree and the backlash of opinions in essence has "backed us into a corner". Dodger fans will support their team loyally through almost anything (McCourt era et al.), and if it means living down overpaid contracts and becoming "the new evil empire" of MLB, so be it.
    Last edited by KingThomas; December 20th, 2012 at 12:06 PM.

Darryl Sutter has a posse SuperCalo2000's Avatar

What I'm happier about is the fact that the Dodgers are getting back to their roots re: player development and scouting. Sure it is great if they buy championships but part of the reasons I loved the Dodgers was a homegrown & international feel. Besides, it is better business. Why pay $30/yr when you can pay a couple of mil in scouting and get 3/4 guys that can compete at a similar level and pocket the rest or save it for a guy to put yo over the top ? (Numbers are my idiotic projections)