Thread: All Things Jerky

Beep Beep!!

Default All Things Jerky

I've been thinking of trying my hand at making my own jerky, be it beef, pork, turkey or whatever. With the diversity of this site, I'm sure many of you have done this before and am looking for some advice, but from what I've read, it is really a "try what you like and experiment of process."

Aside from this, does anyone have any good advice: recipes, do's and don't, horror stories?

I know it can be done in a low oven, but was considerring a dehydrator that I could also use for fruit as summer is upon us.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I meant to respond to this last week but got sidetracked.

I used to make my own jerky using a dehydrator and it was pretty good, but it's a lot of time/work for what turns out to be a little bit of jerky. I wouldn't do the oven technique as it takes a long time and is usually done by keeping the oven open to keep the temp down - which isn't fun in summertime.

My recommendations would be to get the leanest meat you can get and make sure to get rid of all the fat. Fat won't dehydrate and it will turn rancid. When slicing it, especially if you're using flank steak, be sure to go against the grain otherwise it'll be tough as hell to chew. Use a very sharp knife to get thin cuts and if need be partially freeze the meat to make it more solid and easier to slice.

My favorite recipe was a hot teriyaki that was a combination of soy sauce, pineapple juice, red pepper flakes and some other items I can't remember.

Also - get more meat than you think you'll need, you'll be surprised how little is left after you get all the moisture out.

All Star
    Images

I've been buying bacon jerky lately, good stuff. I used to like Wild Bill's brand but I got a bad bag with mold in it once and that scared me off from them. I just stick with Slim Jim and Oberto's now.

I also like the wet Thai style jerky which I grab to go when offered at Thai restaurants.
    Last edited by Fisch; October 2nd, 2015 at 02:29 AM.

fantastic hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisch View Post
    I've been buying bacon jerky lately, good stuff. I used to like Wild Bill's brand but I got a bad bag with mold in it once and that scared me off from them. I just stick with Slim Jim and Oberto's now.

I also like the wet Thai style jerky which I grab to go when offered at Thai restaurants.
    what no viet beef jerky? a close family friend that lives in france dreams of the jerky here from little saigon so as a thank you gift for hosting me for dinner one night, i bought a pound and a half and shipped it to her and she was so stoked. she says they have it in paris as well, but it's not as good as what they have here in CA.

All Star
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    what no viet beef jerky? a close family friend that lives in france dreams of the jerky here from little saigon so as a thank you gift for hosting me for dinner one night, i bought a pound and a half and shipped it to her and she was so stoked. she says they have it in paris as well, but it's not as good as what they have here in CA.
    Similar stuff, I get that too. I just find Thai places to be a lot more spread out and easier to find. Pho is getting popular and the Viets (I'm Viet) have slowly moved out of their enclaves with it, but nowhere near as popular as Thai food. At least I find that down here. San Diego has an unofficial Little Saigon.