Click Here!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salsa recipes anyone?

1st Scoring Line

Default Salsa recipes anyone?

With this heat, my tomato plants will be busting at the seems in the next few weeks. Anyone care to share a knock down drag out salsa recipe?
    Currently I am using tomatoes, white onion, cilantro, chopped up jalapeno's, and crushed red chili pepper for the heat, plus a little garlic salt. It's o.k., but not out of the park stuff.
    Care to share mamacita's private mix?

My recipe is similar to your minus the garlic salt. I also add lime juice, cerranos and habaneros to the mix. Do you peel your tomatoes?
    Maniacal Laugh, Maniacal Laugh, Maniacal Laugh

Fresh garlic + S&P > garlic salt any day of the week. I second stripperbob's addition of lime. Definitely needed. Esp if your salsa is of the pico de gallo style, then lime is a MUST. And fresh squeezed, not that plastic lime bottle crap. Adding a fruit can make your pico/salsa perfect for fish. Mango, papaya, pineapple...

Roasted garlic makes things just thaaaat much better.

If you go the blender/processor route, try different types of chilis. Even the dried ones, just make sure you rehydrate them before adding to the blender. You can toast them in a pan first, too.

Fire or oven roasting peppers, tomatoes or tomatillos prior to blending is pretty good, too.

So far, so good. I also do a Killer guacamole, but you need to ply me with many drinks to get my mamacita's recipe. And I DO NOT use lemon/lime juice. It's only there to keep the dip from turning brown. It's usually gone before then.
    I'm trying the roasted garlic thing, and the both the cerrano's and the hab's. No, I don't peel the tomatoes. I have both celeb's and jubilee's ripening

1st Scoring Line

Its about the proportions. I do roma tomatoes, white onion, cilantro, a garlic clove and serranos. My ratio is 2 normal, sized romas, with most of the pulp ommitted. Immediately salt the tomatoes, helps draw out moisture giving you a wet salsa. Just shy of a quarter of the onion, diced fairly fine. 3 or 4 serranos, deseeded and minced. You get the heat, and no bitterness from the pepper. Minced garlic and about 2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro. Lime juice is important, for the zing. Of course plenty of salt and pepper. If I want more of a wet salsa, I will spash in some margarita mix.
    To kick it up, some roasted corn. It is the goods. Fresh is great, but Trader Joes has some bombass frozen roasted corn. That makes a great salsa.

one tomato for every three chiles, fresh cumin, NO ONIONS... go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jccawdrey View Post
    So far, so good. I also do a Killer guacamole, but you need to ply me with many drinks to get my mamacita's recipe. And I DO NOT use lemon/lime juice. It's only there to keep the dip from turning brown. It's usually gone before then.
    I'm trying the roasted garlic thing, and the both the cerrano's and the hab's. No, I don't peel the tomatoes. I have both celeb's and jubilee's ripening
    My guacamole recipe is something I don't cough up, either. Hahaha! Got it from my Colombian mom and tias, and I've expanded on it over time.

gescom - cumin is a given!

One has to marry into a family to get their guacamole recipe and even then it might still not happen.

My guacamole comes from a tub.

Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    One has to marry into a family to get their guacamole recipe and even then it might still not happen.
    Hahaha! This is a truth! No ex-bf of mine has ever gotten the recipe, and my bro's wife wasn't given the detailed one. Usually my bro just makes the guac in that household. Hahaha!

Made some smoked salsa yesterday with all ingredients home grown - except the lemon but that was from the neighbor's tree behind us so it still counts.
    5 types of tomatoes
    3 types of chiles
    red onion
    cilantro
    lemon
    smoked salt
    smoked pepper
    cumin