Click Here!
Page 253 of 278 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 2779

Thread: ***DSLR/Photography MegaThread***

I put the D in RICHARSON Luc SkyBomba's Avatar

before the summer started, i was shooting downtown 2-3 times a week after work. then it got too damn hot and i haven't done it much since. haven't seen any guns yet. i stick mostly to broadway and spring cause it's half residential and half business, lots of people walking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc SkyBomba View Post
    before the summer started, i was shooting downtown 2-3 times a week after work. then it got too damn hot and i haven't done it much since. haven't seen any guns yet. i stick mostly to broadway and spring cause it's half residential and half business, lots of people walking around.
    Yeah, I'm not sure there's any bigger danger of having your gear stolen there than on any city street. Any time I've been down there shooting, I see multiple people on every street doing the same.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat View Post
    I just picked up a canon pocket camera for those times that I don't pack the big boy and still want pics better than a phone cam. Should be fun.

Which one did you get?? I have been looking at the G12 or G15. B&H has deals on both right now. I had the opportunity to use the G1x recently and was not that impressed. It has very poor macro ability (because of the larger sensor) and it seemed slow. Th new G15 is supposed to be faster focusing and smaller.
    Last edited by DeaderFan; November 28th, 2012 at 04:08 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by VF View Post
    As for the portraits, the "standard" setup is usually 85-135mm on a full frame camera. For lighting, a very common recipe is short side lighting (especially for female subjects as it can be a slimming trick).
    Great post VF. You can get instruction on just about anything these days on YouTube. A friend of mine who does commercial work uses that set up a lot but with a reflector on the opposite (dark) side for a little fill. He comes up with some dramatic looking stuff. I tried a 3-light set up recently just for some family portraits. With the D800 I have been obsessed with detail and sharpness. The lesson I learned is that detail is not always a good thing with portraits--every skin blemish and imperfetion my kids have showed up crisp and clear. Plus with the aperature I was using, I had too much depth of field. The background needed to be much softer. Oh well. That's why we practice these things (and post process in Photoshop!).

Quote Originally Posted by DeaderFan View Post
    Which one did you get?? I have been looking at the G12 or G15. B&H has deals on both right now. I had the opportunity to use the G1x recently and was not that impressed. It has very poor macro ability (because of the larger sensor) and it seemed slow. Th new G15 is supposed to be faster focusing and smaller.
    can't believe (oh wait, it's canon) they already have a G15, G1X isn't even half a year old!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luc SkyBomba View Post
    can't believe (oh wait, it's canon) they already have a G15, G1X isn't even half a year old!!!
    I think the G1x was a step outside the regular G series line--not a true replacement for the G12. It was a response to the mirrorless camera craze and the push toward larger sensors. It has great image quality, but it doesn't do some of the stuff the the G's were known for. It's bigger and it can't focus close. Now with the G15 they have moved in a different direction. It's more of a G12 replacement, however the fold-out LCD screen is gone in order to slim it to a more pocket-friendly size. They also dumped the handy ISO wheel. It's funny, how whenever a new camera comes out it's a give and take. They make improvements, but then take away some good features too.

L1002553 by Qmüngous, on Flickr

L1002565 by Qmüngous, on Flickr

Images

Mike is holding out on us!

Which scanner did you buy, Mike?? Spill it!

I got a TON of 35mm transparencies scanned in a couple months back with my Nikon slide scanner. I'm missing ONE big shoebox full of stuff somewhere. I know it's around, just have to locate it. Next thing I have to do is find the large format plates for my flatbed and get all of my old Rolei transparencies scanned in.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.

Images

Aquarium of the Pacific! 100mm macro