Thread: All Things:Thriller/Crime/Action

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

Review: Luc Besson's 'Lucy' Starring Scarlet Johansson And Morgan Freeman | The Playlist

“Lucy” is really something of a stunt, an excuse for a character to develop a higher power for genre purposes. Any time a character has to address the philosophical ideas in the plot, the picture stalls: Besson is clearly more at home with his visual wit, like a strikingly realistic car chase that defies every law of safety. Lucy's brain capacity keeps popping up onscreen in big numbers—20%, 40%—building to that climax. And when it arrives, it's complete Looney Tunes, a whirling fantasia of effects and images that begins to bend the fabric of space and time as even Morgan Freeman looks on, flummoxed. It's almost as if Lucy herself is trying to escape her own movie. It's as if Besson himself knows that he, like other filmmakers, are better than this, better than the CGI orgy, better than the endless brawls, better than the tacky genre-defining one-on-one confrontations. You dumb humans and your popguns. [B+]

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

Watch: First Teaser Trailer for ‘Nightcrawler’ Starring Jake Gyllenhaal | the Playlist

Synopsis: NIGHTCRAWLER is a pulse-pounding thriller set in the nocturnal underbelly of contemporary Los Angeles. Jake Gyllenhaal stars as Lou Bloom, a driven young man desperate for work who discovers the high-speed world of L.A. crime journalism. Finding a group of freelance camera crews who film crashes, fires, murder and other mayhem, Lou muscles into the cut-throat, dangerous realm of nightcrawling -- where each police siren wail equals a possible windfall and victims are converted into dollars and cents. Aided by Rene Russo as Nina, a veteran of the blood-sport that is local TV news, Lou thrives. In the breakneck, ceaseless search for footage, he becomes the star of his own story.

"Nightcrawler" co-stars Rene Russo, Bill Paxton, Riz Ahmed and lands in theaters October 17. The movie will make its world premiere at TIFF this September.

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

Review: Spy Tale 'A Most Wanted Man' Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams And More | The Playlist

Since the expectation has increasingly become that stories on the big-screen have to be big, it’s interesting to ponder where that leaves a film like this “A Most Wanted Man.” Like all of Corbijn’s work, it is incredibly handsomely produced—the cinematography by Benoit Delhomme (“Lawless,” “The Proposition”) is typically gorgeous—and it has the feel of a tense and moody European caper, but the whole thing feels a bit slight. Not as arty as “The American” or “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy” or as soapy and quickly paced as its small screen counterparts, “A Most Wanted Man” is left somewhere in the middle. The finale stings admirably but you can’t help but wonder what happens next week. [B-]

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    705 Post(s)

Show me your hands..now!
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)

Longmire, my hero

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4057 Post(s)

[Review] 'Into the Storm' Feels Like Lazy Filmmaking -

Ok. This was a movie with a BIG comicon presence. But it had a damaged rep and Richard Armitage didn't even show up to promote. And it...tanked. So you are gonna get studios saying that Comicon does nothing for their movies. Well if you bring a **** movie, it don't matter how much you pimp it. Ask Jon Favreau. Hell Cowboys vs Aliens was enough to undo any clout he got from Iron Man. Now he is gonna make tv.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4057 Post(s)

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4057 Post(s)

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4057 Post(s)

Bradley Cooper to Star in Mack Bolan Movie for Todd Phillips

Oh god no. The Mack Bolan:Executioner series was my introduction into the lurid world of male adult fiction. Amazed that the library had these on the shelf. I have begun to like Cooper, but this is TERRIBLE casting.