Team LGK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    794 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Was he a ringer? If so, that sucks and is a bummer about the forfeit, on the other hand, if he was a ringer, I think it is good to see the league taking action against that. If he wasn't a ringer, how come he was DQ'ed?
    He is the son of one of our players, and the level of his play was a concern, because he has played travel hockey. So, he was definitely overqualified for the division, but he was approved by the league to play our first game. However, he was disqualified by the league for the second game, but our captain just plain made a mistake and allowed him to play again. So, the forfeit is on us, and the league did take the proper action, which I agree is good to see. In fact, one of the reasons our team is better this season is because the league noted how offensively challenged we were last season compared to other teams, and took steps to rectify the situation. It's never going to be perfect, obviously, but they do a great job of looking out for these things.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssa42 View Post
    My new skates, which replaced 20 year old Bauer Custom Supreme 4000s, are CCM RBZ, and I LOVE them!! These are Jr. size skates, never baked 'em or did anything, but they fit great and are so comfortable and lightweight. Don't know if they make them in "big kid" size. I tried on a lot of pairs before I got these. The Bauer Vapors were the worst. How does anyone use those??

So, I recommend CCMs as well.

And LOL about the GWG.
    I have two pairs of skates that I go back and forth on, Bauer Vapor 500's and CCM RBZ 70's. (Might be 80's I can't remember). I have mutant feet and was very worried about the Vapors (got 'em online for cheap, although I did try on a newer model pair just to get an idea of the fit) but once I broke them in they fit great, maybe better than the CCM's. I vary the thickness of my socks and use inserts and haven't really have much of a problem with either. Maybe I'm just not as picky about that kind of stuff.

I put the D in RICHARSON
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)

haha mutant feet! i call mine "hobbit feet"

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1358 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy_GKG View Post
    I have two pairs of skates that I go back and forth on, Bauer Vapor 500's and CCM RBZ 70's. (Might be 80's I can't remember). I have mutant feet and was very worried about the Vapors (got 'em online for cheap, although I did try on a newer model pair just to get an idea of the fit) but once I broke them in they fit great, maybe better than the CCM's. I vary the thickness of my socks and use inserts and haven't really have much of a problem with either. Maybe I'm just not as picky about that kind of stuff.
    I hope they fit better than your first helmet/cage combo did!

I put the D in RICHARSON
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)

in the immortal words of Luc Robitaille...

"We're in the damn finals!"

Unfortunately, I'm gonna be on a plane headed to my cousin's wedding... damn him!!

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3579 Post(s)

Had my first game last night with the new boys. It was interesting. They have some pretty sweet storm trooper crests so they got that going for them. I'm on the bottom level learners league here and that's problematic.

Several times I could pick the puck and break in just on reaction and then I had to pull up short because I thought this ain't cool. So I'd circle the net or try to slow down for the cavalry.

There's 2 other people on the team that skate similarly and probably shouldn't be at this level. All three of us combined for like 1 shot on goal (really too much deferring). I can't decide if I should just go ahead and start firing on net or feel out the room and see how these boys are. The locker room was ok for a first night with lots of new boys coming in.

The rink itself is part of a huge complex, they appear to have 3 rinks across 2 buildings so thats pretty cool. Its right next to O'hare so so thats not as cool in terms of traffic and overall drive. The place is pretty industrial but overall it looked clean enough so I'm not fearing for my life like I was in Oakland.

In any case for a first night where our best players were actively trying not to score it was a nice close 4-3 loss (they scored the go ahead on a redirection off our wingers skate in the slot from the half wall. Next game I think I'm going to shoot a little more early on and then see how it goes. We tried to push back but they just clogged the middle and it was chaos hockey at its finest.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1358 Post(s)

Glad to hear you got on a team Jammer! I feel ya about being on the lowest level of league, sounds like you and the other guys can be the playmakers and try to set up the newer guys for goals. Are you playing defense?

No game for us this weekend due to the holiday. Looks like we are back at it next Monday at 10:30pm....nothing like getting home from work at 6pm, then having to head out to a game 3 hours later.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3579 Post(s)

Well here's what happened, the assistant captain wrote the lines down on his board based on who he thought was showing up. So they had me as 3rd line right wing. We line up for the first faceoff and we're missing a center, I start counting and there's 5 of us on the bench and everyone thinks we have 3 full lines. So being the nice guy I am I realized this was a total cluster and slid down told the other 4 guys to figure out who was playing D with me and then we dicked around as one more person showed up and they decided to go 5 d and 6 forwards....

Part of the problem is the goalie is the captain so he's not on the bench to play god with these little hiccups.

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    153 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Glad to hear you got on a team Jammer! I feel ya about being on the lowest level of league, sounds like you and the other guys can be the playmakers and try to set up the newer guys for goals. Are you playing defense?

No game for us this weekend due to the holiday. Looks like we are back at it next Monday at 10:30pm....nothing like getting home from work at 6pm, then having to head out to a game 3 hours later.
    We play saturday... then have a game monday at 1030. Getting out of work at 430 driving to anahiem from westwood and then driving home after the game to DTLA... just kill me now!

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1358 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    We play saturday... then have a game monday at 1030. Getting out of work at 430 driving to anahiem from westwood and then driving home after the game to DTLA... just kill me now!