it's camping season!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

Why doesn't anyone like wood sticks anymore??

Went out for some pre-season practice and got a few comments on my 96' Shanahan model Easton all wood stick. I play d on most teams and I like a nice heavy piece of lumber. I don't like these ultra feather light composite sticks everyone is so crazy about. There's no meat on them if you know what I mean.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JEEPKING View Post
    Why doesn't anyone like wood sticks anymore??

Went out for some pre-season practice and got a few comments on my 96' Shanahan model Easton all wood stick. I play d on most teams and I like a nice heavy piece of lumber. I don't like these ultra feather light composite sticks everyone is so crazy about. There's no meat on them if you know what I mean.
    I hear ya. I grew up playing with an all wood Sherwood 5030 Coffey Curve (amongst other brands, I loved the MONTREAL), loved those things. I'm so accustomed to my lightweight composite stick now that even using a cheaper composite stick feels heavy AF to me now. It sounds silly but I like how light my stick is when it comes to poke checking.

Not the same me
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

I would honestly like to know if my reaction was wrong to the following:

My team played in a tournament out here in KC this last weekend. Leading up to it, I had a couple of the captains (We have 4... tf?) tell me repeatedly that we would be going up against elite players and to get my head right. As some of you may have seen, I'm not a fan of losing (I'm much better btw, thanks to the meds) but I'm even more hateful of quitting or not even trying to begin with.

I went into each game with the same mindset that I always do; and I felt like I played solid. We lost the first game 5-1, but I got invited to play for two other local teams on a regular basis, so I suppose I did something right.

The second game was supposed to be a much more even match, and while the skill levels were on par, the effort was not. This team (my team) thrives on icing the puck with no pressure, no look passes to the other team in our zone, throwing the puck blindly into the neutral zone to give the other team possession... it's a weekly thing that's highlighted when you're playing against a team that understands the theory of puck possession. We lost 5-0, but the outcome isn't what I was furious about. With less than a minute in the game, I had my paddle literally pulled out of my hand, (probably by someone on my own team) and I had to make a save in a scramble with my blocker hand. When I looked up, one of my defensemen is doubled over and bleeding. He was crosschecked in the mouth while taking up for his defensive partner who was trying to keep my crease clear. We didn't know at the time how bad it was, (He ended up losing 4 teeth and needing 12 stitches) but almost nobody reacted at all. I started skating over and got tackled from behind by one of my captains, one of my better teammates who we call cannonball (you can imagine why) was trying to leave the penalty box, but everyone else had a ho-hum, indifferent attitude towards it.

I was disgusted, and I still am. One of the co-captains has gone on to say that if you don't want to lose teeth, wear a cage. I agree, but I still don't understand how you just let that happen to a teammate and do nothing. Not even after the game. They just didn't care... at all. I found them a sub for the last game and left. I told them that I needed to take some time off, but the Captain who tackled me talked me into staying for now.

I'm not advocating for a parking lot brawl, but am I wrong to be disgusted that almost nobody reacted on the ice?
    “Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.”
    Stephen King

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P.I.T.A. View Post
    I would honestly like to know if my reaction was wrong to the following:

My team played in a tournament out here in KC this last weekend. Leading up to it, I had a couple of the captains (We have 4... tf?) tell me repeatedly that we would be going up against elite players and to get my head right. As some of you may have seen, I'm not a fan of losing (I'm much better btw, thanks to the meds) but I'm even more hateful of quitting or not even trying to begin with.

I went into each game with the same mindset that I always do; and I felt like I played solid. We lost the first game 5-1, but I got invited to play for two other local teams on a regular basis, so I suppose I did something right.

The second game was supposed to be a much more even match, and while the skill levels were on par, the effort was not. This team (my team) thrives on icing the puck with no pressure, no look passes to the other team in our zone, throwing the puck blindly into the neutral zone to give the other team possession... it's a weekly thing that's highlighted when you're playing against a team that understands the theory of puck possession. We lost 5-0, but the outcome isn't what I was furious about. With less than a minute in the game, I had my paddle literally pulled out of my hand, (probably by someone on my own team) and I had to make a save in a scramble with my blocker hand. When I looked up, one of my defensemen is doubled over and bleeding. He was crosschecked in the mouth while taking up for his defensive partner who was trying to keep my crease clear. We didn't know at the time how bad it was, (He ended up losing 4 teeth and needing 12 stitches) but almost nobody reacted at all. I started skating over and got tackled from behind by one of my captains, one of my better teammates who we call cannonball (you can imagine why) was trying to leave the penalty box, but everyone else had a ho-hum, indifferent attitude towards it.

I was disgusted, and I still am. One of the co-captains has gone on to say that if you don't want to lose teeth, wear a cage. I agree, but I still don't understand how you just let that happen to a teammate and do nothing. Not even after the game. They just didn't care... at all. I found them a sub for the last game and left. I told them that I needed to take some time off, but the Captain who tackled me talked me into staying for now.

I'm not advocating for a parking lot brawl, but am I wrong to be disgusted that almost nobody reacted on the ice?
    That is a sucky situation man. Back when I played goalie (for lower levels) it would drive me nuts seeing that kind of crap go on and seeing my team do nothing about it. I'm not sure if they just didn't know that something should have been done, or if they were like F it, its just beer league, or who knows what. A couple times I took penalties as a goalie because I saw their forwards taking liberties with our defenseman and defense woman. I've been guilty of letting my ego get the best of me out there and getting in fights. For some reason everything seems super important out there on the ice, and there is no way you want to let people get away with the things they do. Then on the other hand, it is just beer league and its all really lame when you take a step back and look at it.

I used to wear a visor many moons ago, but put my cage back on and haven't thought about going back to a visor, ever!

Our game last night sucked, even though we won. The other team didn't have a goalie and we barely pulled out the win. Nothing really was going right for us, over skating pucks, struggling to get out of our zone, forwards playing way too deep in our zone so me and the other D didn't have anyone to outlet to. Even though we won, it felt like a loss.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Does anybody here use the Avision facemask?? I am looking at new helmets and really like the fit of the Re-Akt 75 and don't know which cage to get the re-akt titanium or the Avision.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

I haven't used the Avision but I'm not a fan of those combos. Back in the early 90's (when I played Bantams) I used an Itech full face fish-bowl and it got very annoying with how often it fogged up. A full cage doesn't bother me at all and keeps me cooler than when I wore just a visor. Over time the plastic on the Avision will eventually get scratched/scuffed and not doubt will fog.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3075 Post(s)

So had a game last night with the younger crew and this was a first for me in beer league. We were down 2-1 with a minute to go, pulled the goalie and lo and behold the refs actually called a penalty on the other team! for all things it was a too many men on the ice to boot. Now we're still keeping the goalie out and its 6-4 and their goalie is just killing us but we finally sneaked one through with 2 seconds to go. Refs called for a shootout so who were we to complain (supposed to only be for playoffs) our goalie stopped all 3 but we finally got another one by their guy and won the game. First victory for me on this summer season but it felt plenty good considering we really were the better team all game.

Anyway just good to know that even in beer league, 3rd period late in the last game of the night a ref can occasionally be bothered to do something.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    So had a game last night with the younger crew and this was a first for me in beer league. We were down 2-1 with a minute to go, pulled the goalie and lo and behold the refs actually called a penalty on the other team! for all things it was a too many men on the ice to boot. Now we're still keeping the goalie out and its 6-4 and their goalie is just killing us but we finally sneaked one through with 2 seconds to go. Refs called for a shootout so who were we to complain (supposed to only be for playoffs) our goalie stopped all 3 but we finally got another one by their guy and won the game. First victory for me on this summer season but it felt plenty good considering we really were the better team all game.

Anyway just good to know that even in beer league, 3rd period late in the last game of the night a ref can occasionally be bothered to do something.
    Hopefully the fans that left early heard the roar of the crowd on the way out as you guys tied it up!

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

Been MIA from here but my season has been going great. We are in 2nd place 1 point out of first. We play that team thats first and *******s this weekend. This is also the team that we have had beef with all season long that last game it boiled over into a scrum and a few people got suspended. So im excited AF our team has good people in it but being Rookie league seems kinda stupid when sticking up for team mates cause youll probably never see em again. Thats the main reason ive tried hard this season to improve and hopefully move up next year and play with consistant team and players. I like playing rough when others dish it. I dont mind sticking up for teammates but i know i wont get the same from most of these dudes. Lulz my buddy almost jumped on the ice from the bleachers when the scrum happened. As i skated back to the bench he was waiting talking **** to the guy that got booted for being a prick. Luckily he's playing next season. Our playoffs start soon im at 9 goales and 3 assists. First 2 seasons i had 1 goal 2 assists. So its been a huge change.

Some of you guys seem like *******s on the ice but i like that haha hopefully i can find some mates like that once im up from rookie.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    Some of you guys seem like *******s on the ice but i like that haha hopefully i can find some mates like that once im up from rookie.