Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2971 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    Half way thru chasing everyone to pay to pick colors and jersey logo plus getting the **** ordered paid for and made i wanted to quit. Lol ****kkkkkkkkkkkkkk that! good thing everyone wants to keep playing together so next season its just paying no more logos and ****.
    And you've learned your lesson about being captain!

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    And you've learned your lesson about being captain!
    Is it ok to yell at them now? I wasnt vocal before but now i feel like its part of the duty to help them out on the ice. Even if im not the best player everyone always asks me about lines positioning and so forth. Is it park of the duty? I dont want to be that douchebag player.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1115 Post(s)

I love reading the trials and tribulations of @xLAxKingsx Beer League experiences. #memories

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1115 Post(s)

Is it ok to yell at them now? I wasnt vocal before but now i feel like its part of the duty to help them out on the ice. Even if im not the best player everyone always asks me about lines positioning and so forth. Is it park of the duty? I dont want to be that douchebag player.
    Even though you may want to, I'd say no. It's just beer league, not everyone cares as much as you might. Trust me, I learned the hard way when I played goalie. At first you will doing it in a manner that is encouraging and what not. But over time I found myself falling down the rabbit hole of my words going in one ear and out the other. This led to a lot of frustration, which was amplified by me being the goalie, so all the crap they did wrong (which was a lot) always ended up on me saving their asses (not all the time, but a good amount). After awhile I started to get pissed but had to keep myself in check, I no longer stopped by the bench in between periods to offer up what I was seeing from the crease, as it was wasted breath.

Maybe just talk to them in between periods and get input from other people so they feel like they aren't being talked down to. I tried that approach to, but with everyone being so new, they didn't really know what wasn't going well on the ice. The thing that bugged me the most after losing 3 or 4 in a row was that no one even said anything in the locker room after the game...then again, its only Beer League and not everyone gives the same amount of F's as you.

Good luck.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2971 Post(s)

When it comes to money and showing up, yell away. Probably the only thing I ever really got on people for was shift length and then i'd start out privately with that conversation. Positioning and stuff only works if they want to work on it. As the captain I never felt bad about yelling at the one dude that assumed shift changes only happened at whistles.

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Even though you may want to, I'd say no. It's just beer league, not everyone cares as much as you might. Trust me, I learned the hard way when I played goalie. At first you will doing it in a manner that is encouraging and what not. But over time I found myself falling down the rabbit hole of my words going in one ear and out the other. This led to a lot of frustration, which was amplified by me being the goalie, so all the crap they did wrong (which was a lot) always ended up on me saving their asses (not all the time, but a good amount). After awhile I started to get pissed but had to keep myself in check, I no longer stopped by the bench in between periods to offer up what I was seeing from the crease, as it was wasted breath.

Maybe just talk to them in between periods and get input from other people so they feel like they aren't being talked down to. I tried that approach to, but with everyone being so new, they didn't really know what wasn't going well on the ice. The thing that bugged me the most after losing 3 or 4 in a row was that no one even said anything in the locker room after the game...then again, its only Beer League and not everyone gives the same amount of F's as you.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    When it comes to money and showing up, yell away. Probably the only thing I ever really got on people for was shift length and then i'd start out privately with that conversation. Positioning and stuff only works if they want to work on it. As the captain I never felt bad about yelling at the one dude that assumed shift changes only happened at whistles.

Hum makes sense not to yell. Though usually its more on the side of helping then criticizing cause they did something wrong. Either its getting them into position, whether to pinch or if they need to get back and stop being slow and leaving tendy out to dry alone. It helps me when i hear the bench yell we are so new we have tunnel vision and dont look around for plays. We have a vocal group but no one has fallen off the side to where they are angry its all constructive. I could see how it leads to yelling when you start to feel more comfortable around them i almost went there but i checked myself.

Glad my stories of failure please you @beedee

@Jammer Lol my team is great in that sense everyone shifts short 1-2mins max and everyone shows up we had a 1030pm tuesday game and everyone showed up. We have about 5 people that want to sub yet no one has missed a game yet.

Hooray for nice teammates!

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

0-7 Now! But we arent getting ran off the Ice. We have set a standard that we arent push arounds.

We played a team back to back and 1st game they had a player who was pushing shoving and running over people. He open ice hit a girl on our team and knocked her almost out. Next game it was green light on him. I even took my first penalty when he played a puck in the corner and well after he dumped it i gave him a boarding of a lifetime. He yelled like a bitch but did nothing while i stood there. Team took it upon themselves and every time he touched the puck

Hope we get a win soon there is 1 other team with no wins so we arent the worst! lol

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1115 Post(s)

Thats what I'm talking about, way to step up and let him know that crap wasn't cool!!!

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Thats what I'm talking about, way to step up and let him know that crap wasn't cool!!!
    It wasnt and other team knew he was being a dick. A few tried to play dirty but we all gave it right back slash for slash. We are the only new team in the league everyone has been around for a few seasons. I figure they think its ok to try and punk us.

Best part of it though was my daughter only 5 was yelling from the bleachers while i was in the penalty box. " **** YEA DAD ROWDY ROUGH BOYS!" Which some may not know are the bad boy versions of power puff girls.

I put the D in RICHARSON
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    419 Post(s)

Anybody ever use a hairdryer to heat mold their skates? My oven's dial has no markings on it for some reason. It looks like someone scrubbed the numbers all off so I never use the damn thing. I googled how to use a hairdryer for heat molding but I find different answers. One page says use it on low heat, one says use high. Another says 5 minutes and another says 10. Can't get any straight answers.