Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    ‘The Deuce’ Review: David Simon’s New HBO Series Again Finds Humanity on Every Corner
    http://collider.com/the-deuce-review/
    Watched the pilot. Wasn't overly enthralled ...

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4055 Post(s)

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4055 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    Watched the pilot. Wasn't overly enthralled ...
    OOOh I was. So grimy. So Polyester. Unlike Vinyl, this hour and a half spoke to me. Nothing really happened. And I am SOOOOO happy about that. Bad ugly nudity, requisite heart of gold and psycho predator stereotypes clearly being established...hopefully to be subverted. Franco was doubly good. Surprised me. Maggie Gyllenhall, I will give her this...she is fearless. So in for the long haul on this. Despite the ugliness, there is potential for some weird type of character arcs. Not as clever as it wants to be...but it will get there.

Go Tanner Go!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    OOOh I was. So grimy. So Polyester. Unlike Vinyl, this hour and a half spoke to me. Nothing really happened. And I am SOOOOO happy about that. Bad ugly nudity, requisite heart of gold and psycho predator stereotypes clearly being established...hopefully to be subverted. Franco was doubly good. Surprised me. Maggie Gyllenhall, I will give her this...she is fearless. So in for the long haul on this. Despite the ugliness, there is potential for some weird type of character arcs. Not as clever as it wants to be...but it will get there.
    Looking at it from that perspective you are probably right. My memory of Times Square of the 1970's is that it was downright terrifying and they got that down pat. Franco was good as was the college co-ed and the slightly dirty cop. I will agree with you on Gyllenhall - was completely surprised by her, her character and what she did on screen but I do think she is going to be a director/producer and move out of the "action" business in this role. I am willing to watch the next few episodes to see if it moves forward. I will admit part of my apprehension is due to the bus station scene from the start. Talk about a predator situation! As a father of daughters I think you can understand my apprehension ...

Selke Smooth
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)

It kept me interested. I liked how hard it was to read some of the characters like that semi dirty cop. I forgot it was an 80 minute run time, it didnt seem like it.
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4055 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    Looking at it from that perspective you are probably right. My memory of Times Square of the 1970's is that it was downright terrifying and they got that down pat. Franco was good as was the college co-ed and the slightly dirty cop. I will agree with you on Gyllenhall - was completely surprised by her, her character and what she did on screen but I do think she is going to be a director/producer and move out of the "action" business in this role. I am willing to watch the next few episodes to see if it moves forward. I will admit part of my apprehension is due to the bus station scene from the start. Talk about a predator situation! As a father of daughters I think you can understand my apprehension ...

Oh most certainly...

This is not a pretty show. Loathsome characters all around. And, I did wonder at first if it was going to be too unsavory for me. Somehow I got past it...but I certainly understand your reaction. I do not think this is going to be a story of redemption. I'm pretty sure it's going to wallow in various levels of soul crushing misery. So...long term, I do not know if it can be sustained. But as far as the production, it literally feels like a snapshot.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4055 Post(s)

‘Westworld’ Seems To Confirm At Least A Visit To Its Samurai Counterpart In Season Two
    http://uproxx.com/tv/westworld-samur...yuki-sanada/2/

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    733 Post(s)

I am so happy Vice Principals is back.

Solid first episode.

spoiler alert

The old principal with a tattoo of both of them holding hands and eating s*** on her shoulder is priceless.

Team Melf.
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    585 Post(s)

I'm trying to get through The Wire. I don't know, something about port authority in season two just seems incredibly boring.
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4055 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    I'm trying to get through The Wire. I don't know, something about port authority in season two just seems incredibly boring.
    I totally agree, but stick with it. It pays off.

And I'm not even one of those people who think the wire is all that and a bag of chips.

Homicide set up the format. Yet never gets mentioned.

Sorry. Uncle jd just went all 'storytime ' on ya.