Page 86 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 967

Thread: All Things:HBO/CINEMAX

  1. #851
    Go Tanner Go!
    roenick's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,637
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    ‘The Deuce’ Review: David Simon’s New HBO Series Again Finds Humanity on Every Corner
    http://collider.com/the-deuce-review/
    Watched the pilot. Wasn't overly enthralled ...

  2. #852
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    jerseydevil's Avatar
    Karma: 17587756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    48,809
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4281 Post(s)

    Default


  3. #853
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    jerseydevil's Avatar
    Karma: 17587756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    48,809
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4281 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    Watched the pilot. Wasn't overly enthralled ...
    OOOh I was. So grimy. So Polyester. Unlike Vinyl, this hour and a half spoke to me. Nothing really happened. And I am SOOOOO happy about that. Bad ugly nudity, requisite heart of gold and psycho predator stereotypes clearly being established...hopefully to be subverted. Franco was doubly good. Surprised me. Maggie Gyllenhall, I will give her this...she is fearless. So in for the long haul on this. Despite the ugliness, there is potential for some weird type of character arcs. Not as clever as it wants to be...but it will get there.

  4. #854
    Go Tanner Go!
    roenick's Avatar
    Karma: 2147483647
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,637
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    OOOh I was. So grimy. So Polyester. Unlike Vinyl, this hour and a half spoke to me. Nothing really happened. And I am SOOOOO happy about that. Bad ugly nudity, requisite heart of gold and psycho predator stereotypes clearly being established...hopefully to be subverted. Franco was doubly good. Surprised me. Maggie Gyllenhall, I will give her this...she is fearless. So in for the long haul on this. Despite the ugliness, there is potential for some weird type of character arcs. Not as clever as it wants to be...but it will get there.
    Looking at it from that perspective you are probably right. My memory of Times Square of the 1970's is that it was downright terrifying and they got that down pat. Franco was good as was the college co-ed and the slightly dirty cop. I will agree with you on Gyllenhall - was completely surprised by her, her character and what she did on screen but I do think she is going to be a director/producer and move out of the "action" business in this role. I am willing to watch the next few episodes to see if it moves forward. I will admit part of my apprehension is due to the bus station scene from the start. Talk about a predator situation! As a father of daughters I think you can understand my apprehension ...

  5. #855
    Selke Smooth
    notbob's Avatar
    Karma: 261133448
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,281
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1232 Post(s)

    Default

    It kept me interested. I liked how hard it was to read some of the characters like that semi dirty cop. I forgot it was an 80 minute run time, it didnt seem like it.
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

    User formerly known as

  6. #856
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    jerseydevil's Avatar
    Karma: 17587756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    48,809
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4281 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    Looking at it from that perspective you are probably right. My memory of Times Square of the 1970's is that it was downright terrifying and they got that down pat. Franco was good as was the college co-ed and the slightly dirty cop. I will agree with you on Gyllenhall - was completely surprised by her, her character and what she did on screen but I do think she is going to be a director/producer and move out of the "action" business in this role. I am willing to watch the next few episodes to see if it moves forward. I will admit part of my apprehension is due to the bus station scene from the start. Talk about a predator situation! As a father of daughters I think you can understand my apprehension ...

    Oh most certainly...

    This is not a pretty show. Loathsome characters all around. And, I did wonder at first if it was going to be too unsavory for me. Somehow I got past it...but I certainly understand your reaction. I do not think this is going to be a story of redemption. I'm pretty sure it's going to wallow in various levels of soul crushing misery. So...long term, I do not know if it can be sustained. But as far as the production, it literally feels like a snapshot.

  7. #857
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    jerseydevil's Avatar
    Karma: 17587756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    48,809
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4281 Post(s)

    Default

    ‘Westworld’ Seems To Confirm At Least A Visit To Its Samurai Counterpart In Season Two
    http://uproxx.com/tv/westworld-samur...yuki-sanada/2/

  8. #858
    All Star
    ucsdguy1's Avatar
    Karma: 4669739
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,457
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    849 Post(s)

    Default

    I am so happy Vice Principals is back.

    Solid first episode.




    spoiler alert



    The old principal with a tattoo of both of them holding hands and eating s*** on her shoulder is priceless.

  9. #859
    Team Melf.
    Dexter's Avatar
    Karma: 410298998
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    6,881
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    610 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm trying to get through The Wire. I don't know, something about port authority in season two just seems incredibly boring.
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

    http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

  10. #860
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    jerseydevil's Avatar
    Karma: 17587756
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    48,809
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4281 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    I'm trying to get through The Wire. I don't know, something about port authority in season two just seems incredibly boring.
    I totally agree, but stick with it. It pays off.

    And I'm not even one of those people who think the wire is all that and a bag of chips.

    Homicide set up the format. Yet never gets mentioned.

    Sorry. Uncle jd just went all 'storytime ' on ya.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •