Thread: All Things: DOCUMENTARIES

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4442 Post(s)

Seriously f_ ck that movie. Kids is the most bleak, cynical, depressing movie I have ever seen. Truth be told it sickened me off of movies for a period.

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

Watch: Orson Welles’ Final Documentary 'Filming Othello' | The Playlist

Contrary to popular belief, “F for Fake” is not Orson Welles’s last completed film. That honor goes to the rarely seen (or even discussed) 1978 documentary “Filming Othello.” As you would expect from the title, the doc traces the creation of Welles’s 1952 Palme d’Or-winning adaptation of “Othello.” Though the film was never officially released outside of one screening at the 1978 Berlin Film Festival and two in New York in 1979 and 1987, you can now watch it in the comfort of your home, courtesy of The Seventh Art.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4442 Post(s)

To Be Takei (2014) Movie Review

He was on Howard this week, always good to hear his dulcet tones. Hard man NOT to like regardless of your opinions. Me, I love the guy.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4442 Post(s)

The ONE, TRUE Batman. Sorry. It just is!

I don't rattle, kid.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2314 Post(s)

Finally watched Errol Morris' interview with Rumsfeld. My god what a fascinating peek into the mind of a sociopath.

Not nearly as engrossing as The Fog of War but I blame that on the subject. Rumsfeld is far too calculating to answer the difficult questions truthfully. There's very little insight from Rumsfeld. He's got a script in his head and he sticks to it.

Nobody does talking head docs better than Errol Morris and this one is another must watch.

Available on Netflix Instant.

Show me your hands..now!
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    881 Post(s)

Semi documentary on Charles Manson last night was outstanding. Lots of stuff not seen before. V.B did a great job piecing this together and making the jury understand as well as the public. Boy is really sick

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

Watch: Trailer For Sundance Award Winning Documentary 'The Overnighters' | ThePlaylist

Sundance Review: Devastating Doc 'The Overnighters' A Humane Look At Compassion & The American Dream

Some of the story moments in “The Overnighters” bubble up too quickly and without enough context or connection to the overall narrative—this is not a film that is going to hold your hand and walk you through itself step by step. Issues rise to the surface and pop before you can even expect or process them, and there are a few times when, as an audience member, you want more guidance. But it’s truly more realistic this way, and the film is not going to slow down or over-explain for anything. It will leave you stunned, questioning, and unsure of what is right and what is wrong—as most great docs do. And Pastor Jay Reinke is one of the most unforgettable tragic figures in 2014 cinema. “The Overnighters” is starkly bleak and devastatingly humane, and an indelible American documentary. [A-]

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4442 Post(s)

'Supermensch' Shep Gordon looks back on a wild ride of sex, drugs and rock and roll
    Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/...14skuIzp7Ei.99