Thread: All Things: DOCUMENTARIES

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4331 Post(s)

I happened upon these Sunday night and was transfixed. The complete refusal of the US government to acknowledge common sense and give suffering people ANYTHING that may help ease their pain...is unforgivable. I defy you to watch the children in these videos, whose debilitating seizures have responded to the use of oils(that have NO thc...the stuff that gets you high) and the parents who are refused those same lifechanging MEDICINES and not wonder just what the **** happened to this world.

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

Sony Classics' Tom Bernard Slams Oscar Voters For Snubbing Russian Hockey Doc 'Red Army'

"It's a sign of some really old people in the documentary area of the Academy. There's a lot of people who are really up in their years. It's shocking to me that that film (Red Army) didn't get in," Bernard told a digital film distribution panel Friday at Canada's Whistler Film Festival.

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

DOC NYC Review: Amy Berg’s Incendiary, Must-See Hollywood Child Sex Abuse Exposť ‘An Open Secret’

A difficult subject that zeroes in on a rampant industry problem that needs attention and an open, safe forum to discuss the topic, “An Open Secret” will hopefully be a much-needed first step. But the doc will face much opposition and there’s already talk going around that the film will have a difficult time finding a release. “We get one screening,” the director told the audience in the post film Q&A. “Maybe we’ll get distribution. It’s not very likely.” The filmmaker might simply be advocating her own case, but in any event the silencing of “An Open Secret” would be tragic, but perhaps eerily apropos for a doc that dares to discuss the complicity and collusion that many in Hollywood would rather have quieted. [A-]

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4331 Post(s)

OOOOF NFL network's A Day In The Life:Lyle Alzado, powerful stuff. Sure he was a goombah, and they don't shy away from that, but what a sad story. Kudos to the NFL for putting that forward where they have kinda buried the story in the past.

Starting Keeper
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

I watched HBO's Broad Street Bullies the other night. Gave me some great insight on hockey before my time and based on some of the stories in it you could see where some of the ideas in Slap Shot were derived.

Also If you like college football, Michigan vs Ohio State :The Rivalry is pretty awesome.

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

Sundance Review: Vibrant, Electrifying Narco Wars Documentary 'Cartel Land'

There are times when “Cartel Land” feels chaotic or confusing, simply because the situations in which the film is embedded are chaotic and confusing. It offers up no easy answers or clear calls to action, just a first-person account of these situations that rule the news and the hand of policy-makers It provides a deeply humanizing element to this incredibly difficult situation. Aesthetically, it is a vibrant, electrifying work, with stunning visuals and a sure hand over layers of complicated audio. Heineman, in placing himself in such danger, has managed to create a remarkable and distinctive film that takes on a difficult issue that cannot be so conveniently remedied or ignored. [A-]

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

Sundance Review: 'Kurt Cobain: Montage Of Heck' Is An Entertaining And Moving Rock Star Portrait

‘Montage of Heck’ is seriously entertaining and enjoyable, but also a moving portrait of a man that many won’t soon forget. [A-]

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

Sundance Review: Terrifying, Unsettling And Insightful Documentary 'Welcome To Leith'

The film, which initially seemed simply set on chronicling what was occurring in Leith, then hits upon a tangible narrative, as both Cobb and Kynan Dutton are addressed and charged with multiple counts of terrorizing their neighbors. As the people of Leith wait to hear if Cobb and Dutton will be sent to prison, passions continue to flare. Nichols and Walker, so adept at presenting both sides of the story, fail to capitalize on this decision, and the film continues to amble along at a relatively laidback pace. That the film ends without much in the way of a conclusion is an unwelcome shock, one that is oddly reflective of the mostly directionless final act. The story of Leith may not be over yet, but viewers will clamor for some kind of resolution, if only to help them sleep at night. [B]

PJ Harvey is God
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1276 Post(s)

waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

"If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE