Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)

Default LA Kings Youth Hockey

Hey LGK!

My son is starting youth hockey (turns 6 at the end of Oct). He starts at Anaheim Ice next weekend for their 20 week session.

I was curious if anyone knows of a "Kings" rink somewhat close to Orange County. My wife & I were very proud when my son got upset that he would have to wear a practice jersey with a Ducks logo.

Is there somewhere in Long Beach that offers youth hockey? We dont mind making the drive.

Thanks!!!

Thanks!

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3059 Post(s)

The rumblings around have been that the ducks do a very good job with their kids program, the kings not so much. Hope that's changing though

Hockey Purist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)

This is very true Jammer. The Ducks youth programs are on a different planet than the Kings, sad to say.

"The Kings are THE KINGS"
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingsfan32 View Post
    Hey LGK!

My son is starting youth hockey (turns 6 at the end of Oct). He starts at Anaheim Ice next weekend for their 20 week session.

I was curious if anyone knows of a "Kings" rink somewhat close to Orange County. My wife & I were very proud when my son got upset that he would have to wear a practice jersey with a Ducks logo.

Is there somewhere in Long Beach that offers youth hockey? We dont mind making the drive.

Thanks!!!

Thanks!
    My son did the same thing, he is only 4 but we have had him skating for about a year and he started playing hockey about 6 months ago. We are just starting him in a league and I figured The Rinks league would be best but the fact that there in house leagues bounce around 4 different rinks and Im in San Dimas lead me to hunt around some more for a different in-house league. He also didn't want to wear a "Ducks jersey" but that would'nt have kept me from putting him the The Rinks in-house league (still may after this season.)

To make a long story short, we have him in a in-house league at LA Kings Ice Town in Riverside. The drive is pretty bad but would've been the same for me to Lakewood and Westminster too. The 8U division starts next weekend and my son is stoked to get a jersey with a Kings logo. lol

I have researched this a lot so if you need help PM me your number and a good time to call. I will pass on all the info I have gathered.

One more thing, the GREAT thing about The Rinks league is they have a 6 and under division. Thats why I really wanted my son playing there and we may head over after this season like I said earlier. Its more expensive but you also get more games and some sweet Ducks jerseys ;-).

Most rinks only have 8 and under leagues as the lowest level and 8 year olds are much bigger than 4,5 and 6 year old kids. Maybe we will see you at The Rinks winter session in-house league.

EDIT: Just noticed I replied to a thread from like a year ago. oops. Has your son played yet? Did you go The Rinks route?

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    226 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    My son did the same thing, he is only 4 but we have had him skating for about a year and he started playing hockey about 6 months ago. We are just starting him in a league and I figured The Rinks league would be best but the fact that there in house leagues bounce around 4 different rinks and Im in San Dimas lead me to hunt around some more for a different in-house league. He also didn't want to wear a "Ducks jersey" but that would'nt have kept me from putting him the The Rinks in-house league (still may after this season.)

To make a long story short, we have him in a in-house league at LA Kings Ice Town in Riverside. The drive is pretty bad but would've been the same for me to Lakewood and Westminster too. The 8U division starts next weekend and my son is stoked to get a jersey with a Kings logo. lol

I have researched this a lot so if you need help PM me your number and a good time to call. I will pass on all the info I have gathered.

One more thing, the GREAT thing about The Rinks league is they have a 6 and under division. Thats why I really wanted my son playing there and we may head over after this season like I said earlier. Its more expensive but you also get more games and some sweet Ducks jerseys ;-).

Most rinks only have 8 and under leagues as the lowest level and 8 year olds are much bigger than 4,5 and 6 year old kids. Maybe we will see you at The Rinks winter session in-house league.

EDIT: Just noticed I replied to a thread from like a year ago. oops. Has your son played yet? Did you go The Rinks route?
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, our son did the 20 week hockey initiation program 1st. Was pretty nice and that one was always at the Anaheim Rink. For the 1st 30 mins, they mainly did skating drills with the kids ranging from striding with just one leg, going in and out, diving at the blue and red lines and getting up quickly, trying to jump over the lines, etc. The 2nd half the broke all the kids up into 6-7 stations working on various things like passing, skating backwards, simple puck handling, etc.

After that, we signed him up for cross-ice (in-house league). They play "cross-ice" and it is 3 on 3 with each team either having a goalie or just another player standing in front of the net. He finishes that league this weekend. He seems to like it but his skating skills are not improving that much. We are thinking about getting him private skating lessons in a more one-on-one format.

As for the travel, I would say the bulk (75%) of his games and clinics were at Anaheim Ice. We did have a few sessions at Lakewood and a few at Westminster. For the most part, clinic days were Saturday mornings and games were Sundays about lunch time.

Once they get past cross-ice, they go to mites (shortened ice rink). That is where they start travel vs in-house. We will most likely stick with in-house since the travel team costs is ridiculous for kids playing hockey at that age (I believe it is like $2700!!).

I will send you a pm with my email if you need any more info about The Rinks leagues.

THE BIG MORT DIZZLE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Can you pm me your email. My son has slated and done clinics for a while but never been on a team and we were looking at the Ducks in house. My fear is always driving to Anaheim. We live closer to Lakewood/Glacial. How are the coaches and what is the competition level like? Thanks for the help