Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2014-2015 Dodgers Off-Season Thread...

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Sad to see Kemp go as he has been my favorite player for a long time. I like most of the stuff the front office has done so far so i'll let them finish before i get too upset about it I guess. I really don't care about the trading in the same division stuff, you get the best return you can get from wherever you can get it. I don't think they should have had to pay that much of the contract or really any of it at all but oh well, they've got money.

2nd Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)

After my initial shock of hearing the trades I have had time to look at the grand scheme of things, and I like what the Dodgers are doing here. More depth, more defense, and improving the pitching situation.

SB Nation graded the trades over the last 24 hours, and they also seem to like what the Dodgers are doing.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/12/...-rumors-grades

Dodgers acquire Andrew Heaney, Enrique Hernandez, Chris Hatcher, and Austin Barnes from Marlins for Dee Gordon, Miguel Rojas, and a player to be named or cash

Dodgers grade: A
    Marlins grade: F-

We'll start with the least ambiguous of the bunch. Forget that Dee Gordon isn't even a decent hitter, or that he's already arbitration-eligible. Forget that Andrew Heaney, a former first-round pick, was locked up and under team control for the next six years. Forget that Austin Barnes, something of a throw-in, just spent his time in Double-A walking more than he struck out, playing catcher, second base, and third. Forget that the Marlins weren't exactly a Dee Gordon away from contending. Here's the only thing you need to know about this: Enrique Hernandez, who went to the Dodgers in this trade, is a second baseman who projects to be about as valuable as Gordon next year.

Now you can remember the other stuff. It doesn't help.

At some point, the Marlins tipped their hand and let the Dodgers know they were completely in love with Gordon, and that their offseason would be a sad failure without him. Or, possibly, the Dodgers pretended that Gordon was an organizational building block that wasn't likely to be traded, and the Marlins kept coming back and adding prospects to the deal. Here, just replace Joe Shlabotnik's name with Dee Gordon's, and this is how I'm picturing the trade:

That kind of package probably could have netted, oh, the entire remaining 25-man roster for the A's, based on current exchange rates. I don't get it. Gordon is dandy if he can hit, even a little, like he did last year. But that's just about his absolute upside, and it still wasn't very good.
    Padres acquire Matt Kemp, Tim Federowicz from Dodgers for Yasmani Grandal, Joe Weiland, Zach Eflin

Padres trade: D+

It's not like Kemp's knees are going to get better and allow him to reclaim a sliver of his defensive prowess. The decline will continue, unabated. You can hide Kemp in left a little at Petco -- and he certainly was a nuclear force in the second half of last season -- but he should have gone to an American League team. He has a chance to rack up some historically poor defensive stats over the next five years.

I don't mind the idea of trading for Kemp and taking that risk a) if the rest of the Padres roster is stronger or b) if he doesn't cost any talent in return. Instead, the Padres cashed in a lot of their possible trade chips, and all they have to show for it is an expensive 30-year-old player with a history of serious, limiting injuries. Now what?

From the Dodgers perspective, the lineup is weaker (and it already was without Hanley Ramirez, too), but they filled a need at catcher, possibly for the next several years, and they freed up cash to pursue ... everyone. Everyone in the world. Not only that, but they got rotation depth and a former first-rounder, too. Like Cespedes/Porcello, it was tricky matching Kemp up with another team looking to contend. Luckily the Padres are convinced they're one of those teams. Okay.

There's going to be a team in the postseason next year that surprises the absolute heck out of all of us, and it might as well be the Padres. They have pitching. They have a nice ballpark. Don't poke too much fun yet, even if this trade is puzzling.
    Dodgers acquire Jimmy Rollins from Phillies for ???

So that's a big incomplete. Still, I'll give the Dodgers a preliminary A because Rollins is a big improvement on their internal options, and it's going to be scary to see what that pitching staff can do with a real shortstop, and I'll give the Phillies a preliminary :( because Rollins was the face of that franchise for so many years. I wrote earlier that the Phillies shouldn't settle, and it sounds like they aren't. The package from the Dodgers will be worth their while, most likely, whatever it ends up being.
    Dodgers acquire Howie Kendrick from Angels for Andrew Heaney

You can't really evaluate this one without ...
    Angels acquire Josh Rutledge from Rockies for Jairo Diaz

... this one. So:

Angels grade: B+
    Rockies: A

The Rockies exchanged one of the utility infielders they grow in a petri dish for a bullpen strikeout deity with a tantalizing arm. You don't care, so I figured we'd get that out of the way.

I'm tempted to give the Angels an F on principle, just because they're trying to cut salary. If they had a budget with a ceiling low enough to bump into, why were they spending like fools in the first place? On the other hand, getting six years of a mid-rotation starter for one year of a good second baseman is a lopsided swap, and finding an immediate replacement for a minor league reliever was smart and effective, even if Rutledge is a clear downgrade.

The Dodgers gave up long-term value to get Kendrick for just a season, but they essentially got him and three prospects for Dee freaking Gordon. That's obnoxious.
    Dodgers sign Brandon McCarthy (four years, $48 million)

Grade: B

Ha ha, there goes your perfect GPA, Dodgers. Hope you picked out some good safety schools, losers.

Four years is a long time for a pitcher without the best track record of health. On the other hand, if McCarthy is hurt or ineffective ... they'll just buy another one. Or get creative on the trade market. Or, well, anything that isn't related to Kevin Correia. Those days are over.

This makes the deal the Pirates gave out to Francisco Liriano look better, though. That extra year just doesn't seem like it has much of a chance of working out. If the Dodgers cared, maybe this would be a lower grade.

Dammit, Dodgers.

2nd Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)

https://twitter.com/Heandog8/status/542917138634506240

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Heaney View Post
    Well, @Dodgers we had a good run! Great to be a part of such a storied franchise. #thanksforthememories.
    Last edited by KingsFan1985; December 11th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

The Dodgers have designated reliever Brian Wilson for assignment to make room for Brandon McCarthy on the 40-man roster.
    https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/544942483004997632

This is the kind of stuff Ned would never do.

I have a bad rep!
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)

The Kemp trade may be off, and this could get ugly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...NUNHUASopXNyoA

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

The thing that bothers me is we lost a lot of power.The team improved defensively but these new front office guys just look at stats and numbers and don't care that we lost Kemp or Gordon etc..They have no emotional attachment to the players like the rest of us.Gordon has a lot of speed ..We are going to miss that.We picked up 2 injury prone pitchers as well..Just not convinced the Dodgers got better ..

Stanley Cup Champions !!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    388 Post(s)

See what they look like in April

Would you Believe...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

Source: Cuban INF Hector Olivera has agreed to a 6-year, $62.5 million deal with Dodgers. $28MM signing bonus.
    https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/...28892575518720

Can't say I'm super excited about giving 6 years to a guy that's just about to turn 30 with a pretty big injury history who has never played an MLB game.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pb2k View Post
    https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/...28892575518720

Can't say I'm super excited about giving 6 years to a guy that's just about to turn 30 with a pretty big injury history who has never played an MLB game.
    Yeah, in the pre Guggenheim days this would be obscene. But with roughly $320,000,000 coming in from Time Warner (before they sell a single ticket, park cars, sell concessions and food) they have some elbow room to roll the dice. Before the regular season has even started they have sold 3,000,000 seats. This is a very deep pocketed franchise.