Click Here!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Things: Streaming TV Options

Cool All Things: Streaming TV Options

HBO to Offer Stand-Alone Web Subscription in U.S. Next Year - Bloomberg

How much will it cost? Will there be same day premieres as the cable/satellite versions or will those be delayed? Many questions.

I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar

The first shot in the war on cable has officially been fired.

The move pits the premium channel, whose shows routinely draw Emmy nominations and water-cooler buzz, directly against Netflix Inc. (NFLX), which has begun to draw viewers with original programs like “Orange Is the New Black.”
    I don't know that they could directly compete until they have much more programming available. But it's definitely something I'd be interested in. My free HBO period ends this month and I planned on canceling. It's not worth the monthly price for the limited movie releases, just to wait for Game of Thrones a few weeks out of the year. Although 47 Ronin was AWESOME (that might have been cinemax).

Isn't this getting crazy though with internet streaming companies signing exclusive deals for movies/shows or original programming? I mean to pay for monthly membership to netflix, amazon prime, hulu plus, hbo go, I feel like I'd almost be paying as much if not more than cable! (almost). At least cable is sort of centralized?

Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1 View Post
    I don't know that they could directly compete until they have much more programming available. But it's definitely something I'd be interested in. My free HBO period ends this month and I planned on canceling. It's not worth the monthly price for the limited movie releases, just to wait for Game of Thrones a few weeks out of the year. Although 47 Ronin was AWESOME (that might have been cinemax).

Isn't this getting crazy though with internet streaming companies signing exclusive deals for movies/shows or original programming? I mean to pay for monthly membership to netflix, amazon prime, hulu plus, hbo go, I feel like I'd almost be paying as much if not more than cable! (almost). At least cable is sort of centralized?
    There is the argument con...it's gonna be a wild world out there. HBO being the test case certainly makes it BIG BOY vs BIG BOY rules. How does cable react? Do they threaten to pull HBO from it's subscribers? The only one who gets hurt there is cable. What happens if a couple of the content providers who might not do so good on their own(Starz, Epix...for example) decide to package their streaming content? There will be lawsuits and much gnashing of teeth, hopefully the end result will be good for the consumer, as unlikely as that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    There will be lawsuits and much gnashing of teeth, hopefully the end result will be good for the consumer, as unlikely as that may be.
    I have no faith this would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1 View Post
    I have no faith this would be the case.
    Neither do I. Seems odd that these companies are basing their futures on the public having disposable income. Hell, half of them/us don't have any income.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cbs-of...130026588.html

CBS is getting in on the action as well

Their streaming service wont include NFL games, but they did say Showtime will be offering a package in the future as well
    Last edited by notbob; October 16th, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
    Maniacal Laugh, Maniacal Laugh, Maniacal Laugh

Lionsgate and Tribeca team up for new video streaming service - LA Times

And the floodgates have opened.

I wonder if we should rename this thread All Things: Streaming Television? I don't think there is a similar thread (Not counting Netflix).

everytime I revisit this thread, I just think...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    How much will it cost? Will there be same day premieres as the cable/satellite versions or will those be delayed? Many questions.
    I read a different article on this that said the price would be the same for service through cable or if it's stand alone. HBO will make more money selling directly with stand alone, but said they won't undercut cable providers.