2nd Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)

Default Are the current San Francisco Giants the worst dynasty team of all time in any sport?

Me and my Yankees friend had a long conversation about this today, and we both came to the conclusion that this current San Francisco Giants are probably the worst set of teams to win multiple championships in any sport ever. I'll chime in with some of the points we came up with, but first I want to hear what you guys think about this. Agree or disagree?

By the way I'm not proclaiming that the Giants will win the World Series this year. We are going off the fact they have even made this far with the roster they have, and the way they played for a large chunk of the season. Also taking into consideration how their rosters have stacked up to other dynasty teams.

Winning is habitual.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I don't watch baseball but my brother-in-law has been a Giants fan for years. According to him there are times during the season when the Giants play and win like the best team in baseball but then they go on these colossal losing streaks or periods where they play far less than .500. It almost sounds like a similar team in hockey that we all know and love. It's not always about the best team during the season it's about getting to the playoffs and playing your best hockey...er baseball.

The believer
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Len-Det64 View Post
    I don't watch baseball but my brother-in-law has been a Giants fan for years. According to him there are times during the season when the Giants play and win like the best team in baseball but then they go on these colossal losing streaks or periods where they play far less than .500. It almost sounds like a similar team in hockey that we all know and love. It's not always about the best team during the season it's about getting to the playoffs and playing your best hockey...er baseball.
    Well Im a Giants fan and I can tell you that your post was pretty much what I was going to say. Spot on!!! They barely made the playoffs this year and are now running just like KC did. Fun time in baseball for sure.

3rd Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Len-Det64 View Post
    Great comparison. I was thinking the same thing.

Still pissed about Clayton Chokeshaw, smh...

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    758 Post(s)

When you score winning runs on throwing errors, pass balls, and bunts...you're one lucky ''A'' team.

Winning is habitual.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

One of the other things my brother-in-law has pointed out to me about the Giants is that their manager, Bruce Bochy, may be one of the best if not the best in baseball now. Knowing when to change your pitcher and which pitcher to put in as well as when to substitute players in and out of the lineup (pinch hitting, running and positional changes) makes a huge difference in baseball.

Good Times!
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

The players are clutch in the playoffs. After two rings, the vets are no different that those of the Kings in the playoffs. It didn't hurt to have Tim Lincecum as a relief pitcher in 2012, either.

Bochy is the best manager in the game

Giants GM Brian Sabea also deserve a lot of credit for the organizational depth they have. He signed or traded for players that fit the team (angel pagan, scutaro, Pat Burrel, Aubrey Huff, Jake Peavy, etc....and Ishikawa) and the farm system produces the talent (Suso, Panik) to make impacts this season.

2nd Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    436 Post(s)

It should be noted that I'm pretty much the only person (outside of Giants fans) ackowledging that this team has earned the title of a dynasty team. That should be the first clue about what the level of respect many basebabll people have towards the Giants in the baseball world. Very valid points about Boucy and Sabea, as they are the best in the game.

Part of the problem I think comes with the notion that Giants do seem to get more luck than most teams usually get in the playoffs. This playoff run is a perfect example. First the Pirates throw a awful pitcher in elimination game instead of their ace against the Giants, then the Giants play a notoriously bad choking team in the Nationals, then finally the Giants play a Cardinals team which mentally threw up the white flag when Yadier Molina got hurt (it for sure was not the same Cardinals team that played the Dodgers). Also take into account that if we were using the playoff format from 2010, this current squad wouldn't have even qualified for the playoffs.

Note that this is just this year's Giants team. I have read past articles dismissing the other two championships, which in hindsight were won with a vastly superior teams (especially 2010). If I can find them the articles I'll post them, but from what I remember the general argument was that the Giants have never really been sabermetric darlings, and from traditional scouting perspective it makes no logical sense that they keep winning championships while riding the backs of a lot players who were considered to be washed up.

Taking a step back though for a second and simply looking at this from the casual observer perspective. My friend is a Yankees fans (has no strong feelings one way or another about the Giants), but he personally feels all three Giants World Series runs have been fluke runs. Trust me he's far from being the only non Dodgers fan to have made that claim about the Giants. I for one don't fully agree with that notion, especially when talking about 2010 when the Giants were without a doubt the best pitching and defensive team in baseball. It's that other two runs that it gets dicey for me.

Good Times!
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

3 world series in 4 years. 2 rings. they dynasty, baby

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    281 Post(s)

eff their dynasty. I have KC to win the WS @50:1. Already cashed ALCS @25:1.