Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Pint Glass Scam...

I know this sort of crap has probably gone on forever, but I saw this on a certain bulletin board that's frequented by airline pilots just now:

Watch your pint glass!!
    So I watched some news report somewhere the other night about bars ripping off the customer with "fake pint" glasses. The story showed how some pint glasses with a thicker glass bottom stole ounces from the patron. The bar claims to serve pints of beers when in fact they are only serving 14 and sometimes 12 ounces of beer. So for every 4-5 beers you are losing a true pint. So tonight I went to the TGI Friday outside the MCO airport. I asked what they had on special and was told $3 bud lights. (I am normally a beer snob but have been trying to cut back on the calories instead of working out.) so I am like sure I'll have one. It went down rather fast. Sure it is a light beer and we all pounded them in college and the occasional PM overnight. Then I remember the news story. I order a bud light bottle and keep the "pint glass". I pour the beer into the glass and what do I see? It pours straight to the top. Wow....they are selling 12 oz of beer as a true pint which should be 16. So I was sitting next to some young ladies which we were conversing and we did a test. So I asked for another pint glass after I showed the bartender my results. He was shocked. He gave me another pint looking glass to try. Same thing. I then asked for the big 22 oz glass. Surely that has to be real. It was. So I ask what the price for a bud light in the big glass was. He said 4.50. I said great that's a better deal. The moral of the story is don't assume the pint your getting is a true pint. Odds are some bars and restaurants are cheating you out of $$$$ and beer. In this case for every 4 beers, I am losing 1 pint of $. Take this as you will. Hotel committee, have you tested the pints to make sure we are getting true pints?
    The ****storm this caused among a bunch of cheap-ass pilots was epic...

Here's a story about it that links to a couple other stories about it: http://beernationshow.com/?p=547
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.

The moral of the story seems to be DONT go to TGI Fridays

Happening in a lot more places than just Friday's. I'd say the moral is to start with a bottle and a glass, then move on to stuff from the tap if their glasses are true.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.

ya, my "pint" glasses at home aren't true pints either. if i get a 64 oz growler fill, i should have 4 glasses of beer out of that, right? nope. always end up with 5, sometimes almost 6. i think it's universal. you need to find a place that uses glasses like this:

which is 20 oz and you get that at british pubs. :D

Wasn't bennigans famous for this problem right before they went out of business? It's been an issue for a long time.

Drink at home.

Order water at restaurants.

Screw them.

Just out of curiosity is it just like buying an aquarium for example a 75 gallon aquarium only holds around 67 or so gallons because the measurements to get the gallons is done by the outside of the glass. Since the glass is 1/2 thick all around you end up with less then advertised. It's craps but it's standard in aquariums. Wonder if this is true for glasses as well?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Troyvsc View Post
    Just out of curiosity is it just like buying an aquarium for example a 75 gallon aquarium only holds around 67 or so gallons because the measurements to get the gallons is done by the outside of the glass. Since the glass is 1/2 thick all around you end up with less then advertised. It's craps but it's standard in aquariums. Wonder if this is true for glasses as well?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    True pints have been advertised quite a bit in the restaurant biz, it's not a 2x4 dimensional issue. Usually places will only offer a "draft" beer instead of a pint if they know their glasses are short but at least it matches the amount in a bottle.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshack23 View Post
    Drink at home. or in the locker room after a game.

Order water at restaurants.

Screw them.
    fixed.

Indeed, or in the parking lot.