Click Here!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man Thread, Vol. II

Default The Man Thread, Vol. II

It sucks that the original TMT went buh-bye. Twas an awesome thread with lots of good topics and info. Wish it was still around.

Same rules apply. If its MAN, its good!

Anyway, on to Volume 2. I'll start...

Car Stereo-Philes:
    I am looking for a Double Din Sat Nav Receiver for my 2010 F-150 FX4 Screw (Non- Sony Sys, Non-Nav w/SYNC). I need it to Android based so I can download Waze, IheartRadio and a few other apps. I also need it to be SiriusXM ready, have BT (so I can BT tether my phone). Ive been looking at 3 different units:

Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-8000NEX-Navigation-Capacitive-Touchscreen/dp/B00J8LD9QY/ref=sr_1_1/176-7426160-5284703?ie=UTF8&qid=1426008521&sr=8-1&keywords=avic+8000nex

Pioneer AVIC-7000NEX
    http://www.amazon.com/AVIC-7000NEX-Double-DIN-Navigation-Receiver-Touchscreen/dp/B00J6W8O6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426008637&sr=8-1&keywords=avic+7000nex

Sony GS Series XAV712HD
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQXUHRU/ref=s9_hps_ft_g422_t3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_ s=right-2&pf_rd_r=167YDYJM1J8PCWET5HB7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_ p=1634340342&pf_rd_i=1000819011

Is there any other brand I can be looking at? I feel as if I'm compromising one thing or another with the above choices.

I have a $1k budget turn key so between the unit, new bezel and iDatalink Maestro (to retain steering wheel controls), I'm thinking I have about $800 +/- dedicated to a new head unit.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by nocturn; March 10th, 2015 at 11:29 AM.
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

Another thing I'd be willing to entertain would be to go with a 8" Tablet install and keep the stock HU. I'd use the remaining $$$ to by a JL Cleansweep to clean up the noise. I already replaced the door speakers with Infinity Kappa (Comps/Front-Full Range/Rear), Alpine Power Block amping said doors, and 3 Sound Ordinance 8" Powered Subs behind the rear seats. Im happy with the current loudness so I dont need more power.

The stock Ford HU Bass tapers/rolls off at half volume, by design, to protect the stock speakers. Obviously I don't need that protection anymore...and it sucks when I'm listening to The Joint. So I'll need something to flatten the pre-amp signal, hence the Cleansweep.

Sorry for deleting it, I'll try and be more careful. It's tough because there are so many threads, you can't check each one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinkrat View Post
    Sorry for deleting it, I'll try and be more careful. It's tough because there are so many threads, you can't check each one.
    No worries Mike. It was a badass thread though, you got to admit it. It was a nice "catch-all" thread. Stuff to small to start a thread about but stuff interesting enough to talk about.
    Last edited by nocturn; March 10th, 2015 at 12:31 PM.

Back in the day, before finishing up school, I did a lot of this stuff. Brothers and I ran a small shop doing custom Car Audio and Video. In those 6-7 years, never had an issue with a Pioneer HU. They are priced competitively, but usually are loaded with features for a given price range. So, off the bat, I vote Pioneer.
    I like the idea of integrating a tab, but I am still not convince of the Cleansweeps promises. It definitely improves on the limitations of the factory HU, but I just dont know if I have heard it to its full potential. Maybe it is worth the big bang price tag.
    On the actual models, doesnt look like the 8000 offers much more than the 7000 (or the newer 8100 vs 7100 respectively). I would probably save a couple bucks and go with the 7000 (or 7100).
    So, my only real feedback is, I like a clean install. I cant help but wonder if the tab would be annoying me after a few weeks. I rather have that on the HU. Same with regards to the Cleansweep. I would rather make audio adjustments (as you mentioned above) on the fly. A touch screen HU is so easy. I know previous AVIC models had built in features that did a good job in leveling the sound levels through out. That way you dont get spikes when you switch between inputs (cd, usb, ipod, satellite radio, whatever). One time audio adjustment through the HU, amps, and done.
    I did my brother in laws car with a previous AVIC (forget model) with References front, back, and JL 10" sub. Sound is clear at ear piercing levels, and bass is deep and rich. The interior speakers are not amplified.

Thanks Julio.

I used to be more involved in car audio also. Before Kids, I had a solid 10k watt Kenwood system crammed into an e46 M3. 10 years removed, I dont fuss with car audio much anymore.

I'm leaning towards the Pioneer 8000nex. Ive read the the 7000nex screen preforms poorly in daylight and that some of the software is inadequate. I'd love to get a new 7100nex but it seems Pioneer hasn't set a release date for it. Some online retailers say they have it, but they don't. The second you place a order, it says its out of stock and/or has been back ordered.

My biggest requirement is that I can use WAZE through whatever I buy. That app is absolute gold with all the driving I do.

Yeah, Im going with the 8000nex. This vid sold me on it...

A year ago it had a MSRP of $1400. Its now down to $850 with the new 8100 coming out. The 8100 will probably be way out of my budget so I figure an older 8000 would probably be better than and affordable 5100 or 6100, for the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
    Thanks Julio.

I used to be more involved in car audio also. Before Kids, I had a solid 10k watt Kenwood system crammed into an e46 M3. 10 years removed, I dont fuss with car audio much anymore.

I'm leaning towards the Pioneer 8000nex. Ive read the the 7000nex screen preforms poorly in daylight and that some of the software is inadequate. I'd love to get a new 7100nex but it seems Pioneer hasn't set a release date for it. Some online retailers say they have it, but they don't. The second you place a order, it says its out of stock and/or has been back ordered.

My biggest requirement is that I can use WAZE through whatever I buy. That app is absolute gold with all the driving I do.
    On my first new car, took me about a month before I jammed a pair of 12" Polks (forget the model), References inside, and a a super sweet (because it scrolled text, and had like 5 lines of it) Pioneer HU. Now with my new car ('14 SS), I have zero interest in upgrading the sound. The stock setup, Bose (which is better than most Bose setups), is good enough. Or, now with my baby (daughter, not the LS3 powered SS), I just dont care.
    I am assuming that with the mirroring feature you should be able to run Waze through your phone. Not sure if having full control through the HU is a requirement. If so, not sure how much functionality you would have, if any. But its not like you really have ot make constants updates on the phone. Kinda let Waze run on its own. Or using that apple feature, I forget what they call it. From what I had read, you do lose a little bit of functionality that way. But the majority of the functions do work solid. Just dont know how much.

Dude, I hope you dont get me thinking about upgrading my HU. I like my infotainment setup. But, running Waze through the HU is intriguing.

I went ahead and ordered it as well as the maestro, p&p harness, sxm receiver, and bezel. A touch over $1k. I'll take pics of the before and after. Cant wait!

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
    I went ahead and ordered it as well as the maestro, p&p harness, sxm receiver, and bezel. A touch over $1k. I'll take pics of the before and after. Cant wait!
    Do you know what the differences are between the 8100 and 8000?