Click Here!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good Tablet/Keyboard Recomendations?

Default Any good Tablet/Keyboard Recomendations?

Im not into gaming and simply looking for a tablet with Keyboard I can take on the go for writing and basic computing/net access in the sub $500 range.

Scouring FatWallet.com as we speak but thought I would ask the local experts for any picks, tips, or other feedback.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Toshiba-Encore-2-WT8-B32CNM-8-32GB-Signature-Edition-Tablet-/281539170648?

This is a cheap price....could I simply add a USB 2.0 Keyboard?

Thank you in Advance.
    Last edited by Hipcheck; April 10th, 2015 at 08:11 AM.
    What sets him apart is that he’s big, and he can skate, and he can protect the puck from anyone. If you’re trying to get it and he doesn’t want you to get, you’re not going to. -Justin Williams on Kopitar

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

I'm not sure if this would be for you, but I recently purchased a samsung galaxy tab 4 for ~$130 (Better models are out now). Just make sure you get enough hard drive space because the OS takes about 3.5 GBs leaving you with only 4.5 GB to use on a 8GB drive. I then bought a removable bluetooth keyboard/case for $20. I can use it for writing with the Microsoft Word app that is free on android store. Downside is there is no spell check and some features are restricted unless you get a office 365 subscription ($5 monthly). I just type my school reports on my tablet and save them to my onedrive account. I can instantly pull them up on my laptop and do everything else I need to do. Also you have to be careful with the size of your tablet as word doesn't support all tablets. It also works great for just being online and it's super portable. 7 inch screen is good for what I use it for. I have been watching Dodgers games on my tablet with MLB.tv, and Kings games with gamecenter.

Sounds like you want something bigger though. You might want to look into a microsoft surface. Don't go too cheap with tablets, otherwise the quality and performance won't be worth it.

The Surface might be what you want since you can get a physical keyboard and microsoft word. As long as you dont plan on using their app market becuase it sucks worse than amazons
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

Have you thought about getting a chromebook?
    Cornell Hockey - LETS GO RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    Have you thought about getting a chromebook?
    I know theyre inexpensive but thats about it along with mixed reviews. What are your thoughts?

As for as the SpellCheck issue Cheap mentioned, Ive actually used Facebook for spell check. Just cut and past into your status field to correct, then cut and paste back in the word doc.

Update- here is what Im leaning towards....HP Stream 11. Got good reviews from many different sources.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Last edited by Hipcheck; April 12th, 2015 at 08:29 PM.
    What sets him apart is that he’s big, and he can skate, and he can protect the puck from anyone. If you’re trying to get it and he doesn’t want you to get, you’re not going to. -Justin Williams on Kopitar

Waiting for our local Apple spokesman, Birdman to pick up the white courtesy phone.

I got this combo last year and am REALLY happy with it. Great battery life, very light/easy to carry. I use a free android app called Kingsoft that has word, excel clones and have brought this tablet on many vacations to get my writing work done with.

ASUS Memo Pad - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DXFDHV8/

Carrying Case w/ Bluetooth Keyboard - http://www.amazon.com/IVSO-KeyBook-B...dp/B00FR18NRY/

One thing to consider when shopping around is what operating system(s) you are comfortable with. The ASUS runs on android engine, which I love. Looks like the HP Stream 11 you mentioned uses Windows 8, which I haaaaaaate, but maybe you like. If you are an apple user that loves that interface, might be worth going win an ipad. Maybe try going to a Best Buy or something to mess around with a few different interfaces if you aren't familiar with them.

Thanks for all the feedback....much appreciated. Still making the decision but excited to see all the options in the price range.

Classic player
    Images

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these for Windows-only audio software. They are $700 and still available with Windows 7 on Amazon. The sound company we use on tour also uses the Lenovos exclusively and they hold up to road abuse very well. There are less expensive ThinkPad models as well. Asus has good machines too. But Windows 8 really blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinkrat View Post
    Waiting for our local Apple spokesman, Birdman to pick up the white courtesy phone.
    Honestly, the one product Apple makes that I'm not totally married to are the iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback....much appreciated. Still making the decision but excited to see all the options in the price range.
    This is something you kind of have to play with and test with to decide what you want. The smallish keyboards for Tablets basically ****ing suck. If you are really looking for a "Mini Computer" to use while you're out and about, and you are going to do serious amounts of writing, then you want a Chromebook. It doesn't play games that aren't browser based, and you don't really store files on it, but its exactly suited for what you are describing. You open it up, hit the word processing or spreadsheet button, and you're off. Its not locally stored, its all on the net.

If you're going to watch TV on it too, consider the Amazon Kindle Fire series. If you want the serious video quality, then its the Samsung or the iPad. Can't speak for the Samsung stuff, but the UI on every Apple product is just damn good. Wifi keyboards along these lines are little and aren't what I prefer. .

I think the surface and the Microsoft entry into that market is a total cluster****. At some point, when the numbers don't hit their targets, they will decide to punt the whole ****ing thing. Trying to make everything one UI across Phones/Tablets/Computers/Xbox is going to fail horribly.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom