Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81

Thread: Adult Clinic & Pick Up roll call thread

  1. #11
    4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    beedee's Avatar
    Karma: 25160100
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,172
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

    Default

    Great post. That is my concern about this league, I didn't go to the first "practice" because it was at 4:30pm last Sunday, Mothers Day. (thanks Rinks for doing that). So I have no clue of anyones ability on the team, I'm sure it will be similar to what you described, there will be people whom probably have never skated before and are taking the plunge, and there will be others that are slightly better, etc. I will update the Beer League Thread on Sunday evening to let you all know how it went.

    Btw, my buddy whom is a long time goalie (and about 10 years younger than me) offered to coach me at a stick time on Monday at KHS. I really am excited for this as it will be the first time I have formal instruction as tendy!!!

  2. #12
    Have Heart
    xLAxKingsx's Avatar
    Karma: 19568000
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    734
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

    Default

    i really want to join league for fall at Anaheim ice though im kinda scared im to crappy. I can skate up and down and snow plow stop and move around ok but not great. Ive done a few pick up games and people have been great at letting me play the puck and ill get a few pointers after the games. Really want to try a clinic just living in DTLA and everything being west or south really kills me with traffic and time ahhh. I def gotta get into some clinics to improve. Maybe im to start hockey at 29.

  3. #13
    4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    beedee's Avatar
    Karma: 25160100
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,172
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    i really want to join league for fall at Anaheim ice though im kinda scared im to crappy. I can skate up and down and snow plow stop and move around ok but not great. Ive done a few pick up games and people have been great at letting me play the puck and ill get a few pointers after the games. Really want to try a clinic just living in DTLA and everything being west or south really kills me with traffic and time ahhh. I def gotta get into some clinics to improve. Maybe im to start hockey at 29.
    Do it man! It is never too late, I am 40 and am just starting to play goalie, ( i have skated out for 20 years off and on though). Lakewood Ice's Rookie League accepts players all season long based off what one of my friends that works there told me.

  4. #14
    Nyssa's Minion
    jammer06's Avatar
    Karma: 2037703647
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,754
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2989 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    i really want to join league for fall at Anaheim ice though im kinda scared im to crappy. I can skate up and down and snow plow stop and move around ok but not great. Ive done a few pick up games and people have been great at letting me play the puck and ill get a few pointers after the games. Really want to try a clinic just living in DTLA and everything being west or south really kills me with traffic and time ahhh. I def gotta get into some clinics to improve. Maybe im to start hockey at 29.
    Gotta do it man, hardest thing is finding the ice time, but if you can manage it then you'll get there pretty quickly.

  5. #15
    Team LGK
    LetTigerIn's Avatar
    Karma: 5681543
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,704
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    696 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    i really want to join league for fall at Anaheim ice though im kinda scared im to crappy. I can skate up and down and snow plow stop and move around ok but not great. Ive done a few pick up games and people have been great at letting me play the puck and ill get a few pointers after the games. Really want to try a clinic just living in DTLA and everything being west or south really kills me with traffic and time ahhh. I def gotta get into some clinics to improve. Maybe im to start hockey at 29.
    Go for it! I just turned 47, and I suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I can go forward, crossover forward, hockey turn, hockey stop, glide backwards, snowman backwards (not/barely even c-cut), take maybe one step backwards crossover before falling on my head, can barely shoot (my highest season tally was 5 points), and my lack of skill doesn't stop me from getting out with my team and having a blasssssssssssssst. I made a post in the beer league thread that's longer, but this one probably says the same thing better, in retrospect.

  6. #16
    Have Heart
    xLAxKingsx's Avatar
    Karma: 19568000
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    734
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Do it man! It is never too late, I am 40 and am just starting to play goalie, ( i have skated out for 20 years off and on though). Lakewood Ice's Rookie League accepts players all season long based off what one of my friends that works there told me.
    Really? I gotta look into that thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Gotta do it man, hardest thing is finding the ice time, but if you can manage it then you'll get there pretty quickly.
    Ive had my gear and stuff for awhile and this year i made it a priority to find ice time this year and have been having more ice time then i did back in 2014. Hope to be decent and be less scared!

    Quote Originally Posted by LetTigerIn View Post
    Go for it! I just turned 47, and I suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I can go forward, crossover forward, hockey turn, hockey stop, glide backwards, snowman backwards (not/barely even c-cut), take maybe one step backwards crossover before falling on my head, can barely shoot (my highest season tally was 5 points), and my lack of skill doesn't stop me from getting out with my team and having a blasssssssssssssst. I made a post in the beer league thread that's longer, but this one probably says the same thing better, in retrospect.
    You would be world class in my eyes as far as skating haha. But like everyone is saying its all about getting on the ice and working from there so **** it. Come fall im doing this and if i suck i suck but i have nowhere but up to go from here so catching me walking into a league like


    Thanks everyone for the encouraging words!

  7. #17
    jammer's overlord
    Nyssa42's Avatar
    Karma: 2130930134
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,241
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2191 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    Maybe im to start hockey at 29.
    Never too old!! I am older than anyone else posting so far. I started playing when I was 28....that was a looonnnnggg time ago. (I did have the advantage of having figure skated my whole life, though). Now I am finding that I get a back ache when I skate, though. blech.

    Join a league because it forces you to get out there...too expensive to miss a game!

    GO KINGS GO!!!

  8. #18
    Nyssa's Minion
    jammer06's Avatar
    Karma: 2037703647
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,754
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2989 Post(s)

    Default

    I started at 29

  9. #19
    Support the Fans
    SirJW's Avatar
    Karma: 9934000
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    12,819
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

    Default

    It's never to late to start just gotta put in the time. Any ice time is good ice time.

  10. #20
    Come back zinc !
    SuperCalo2000's Avatar
    Karma: 1392400
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

    Default

    I live downtown too. Worse, i got rid of my car so I really feel your pain. I still make to the odd LGK game though.

    What really sucks is the parking lot I would skate on is now a highrise construction site. The pavement was so smooth !

    If only USC would use some of that endowment money to make an ice rink and get D1 hockey. That would help us out a great deal. Do it SC !!!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •