Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    i really want to join league for fall at Anaheim ice though im kinda scared im to crappy. I can skate up and down and snow plow stop and move around ok but not great. Ive done a few pick up games and people have been great at letting me play the puck and ill get a few pointers after the games. Really want to try a clinic just living in DTLA and everything being west or south really kills me with traffic and time ahhh. I def gotta get into some clinics to improve. Maybe im to start hockey at 29.
    Bro, I'm right there with you. First of all, too old at 29?!

I'll be 42 in a few months and I just started earlier this year. I was right where you not too long ago, up and down and snow plow stops. Get out there. With practice and instruction its remarkable how quickly you can advance. I'm by no means an expert but we've covered turning, backwards skating, forwards and backwards crossovers, falling and getting back up, etc. Just a bunch of stuff that will only help you in a game.

Second, I'm taking a clinic at Toyota Sports Center, it starts this Sunday (so actually, if you wanted to do it, there's still time). I live in OC and I would be highly skeptical of driving to El Segundo during the week, but this one being on a Sunday night, it's very do-able. I think the clinics are really a must if you want to improve. I've taken one hockey learn to skate class, am in my second one now, and also have one Learn to Play clinic under my belt plus this upcoming one. I don't know what else they have going on in LA county as far as rinks and classes but there has to be something. Definitely look around.

If you get a chance maybe check out a rookie league game just to see how you compare. I think you can play in that league for maybe 2 years max, depending on your skill level, so some of the people who are on their 2nd or 3rd time going through before advancing up are pretty decent, but there's also some relatively green skaters as well. For me personally, I'd rather have a decent skill set before jumping in, as opposed to being the slowest on the ice and holding everything up. Also, I would think that some ability to skate backwards is necessary.

Playing pickup is probably great too as when you're playing you don't have time to think about what you're going to do, you just have to react. I think the most important thing is to just get on the ice, I aim for twice a week minimum and three if I can swing it.

In short, keep grinding. You can be ready by the fall, but in my humble opinion some professional instruction/clinics will really help. Trust me you won't be much better or worse than I am and I am definitely aiming for the fall league so don't sweat it.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCalo2000 View Post
    I live downtown too. Worse, i got rid of my car so I really feel your pain. I still make to the odd LGK game though.

What really sucks is the parking lot I would skate on is now a highrise construction site. The pavement was so smooth !

If only USC would use some of that endowment money to make an ice rink and get D1 hockey. That would help us out a great deal. Do it SC !!!
    One of the girls in my hockey skate class is on the USC Club Team. Sucks that she has to come all the way to Anaheim to practice. I guess the team plays there too? It ain't like USC doesn't have the money.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Great post. That is my concern about this league, I didn't go to the first "practice" because it was at 4:30pm last Sunday, Mothers Day. (thanks Rinks for doing that).
    They had a Women's Only LTP clinic on that Sunday as well. A few of the girls in my Anaheim LTP clinic were talking about going but they were like, "On Mothers Day?! Hello?!!!"

They didn't think that one through very well.
    Last edited by Peggy_GKG; May 14th, 2015 at 03:55 PM.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3061 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy_GKG View Post
    One of the girls in my hockey skate class is on the USC Club Team. Sucks that she has to come all the way to Anaheim to practice. I guess the team plays there too? It ain't like USC doesn't have the money.
    Those poor club teams, they actually get worse ice time than we do. I had a game end at 11pm and they kicked us out of the locker room for the USC CAL game starting at midnight in Oakland!

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Those poor club teams, they actually get worse ice time than we do. I had a game end at 11pm and they kicked us out of the locker room for the USC CAL game starting at midnight in Oakland!
    Ouch. Eh they're college kids they're up all night partying anyway, right?

Have Heart
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    140 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy_GKG View Post
    Bro, I'm right there with you. First of all, too old at 29?!

I'll be 42 in a few months and I just started earlier this year. I was right where you not too long ago, up and down and snow plow stops. Get out there. With practice and instruction its remarkable how quickly you can advance. I'm by no means an expert but we've covered turning, backwards skating, forwards and backwards crossovers, falling and getting back up, etc. Just a bunch of stuff that will only help you in a game.

Second, I'm taking a clinic at Toyota Sports Center, it starts this Sunday (so actually, if you wanted to do it, there's still time). I live in OC and I would be highly skeptical of driving to El Segundo during the week, but this one being on a Sunday night, it's very do-able. I think the clinics are really a must if you want to improve. I've taken one hockey learn to skate class, am in my second one now, and also have one Learn to Play clinic under my belt plus this upcoming one. I don't know what else they have going on in LA county as far as rinks and classes but there has to be something. Definitely look around.

If you get a chance maybe check out a rookie league game just to see how you compare. I think you can play in that league for maybe 2 years max, depending on your skill level, so some of the people who are on their 2nd or 3rd time going through before advancing up are pretty decent, but there's also some relatively green skaters as well. For me personally, I'd rather have a decent skill set before jumping in, as opposed to being the slowest on the ice and holding everything up. Also, I would think that some ability to skate backwards is necessary.

Playing pickup is probably great too as when you're playing you don't have time to think about what you're going to do, you just have to react. I think the most important thing is to just get on the ice, I aim for twice a week minimum and three if I can swing it.

In short, keep grinding. You can be ready by the fall, but in my humble opinion some professional instruction/clinics will really help. Trust me you won't be much better or worse than I am and I am definitely aiming for the fall league so don't sweat it.

I couldnt find info for that clinic got a link? Im doing this on my own so no instruction no pointers besides a few people giving me some tips. I think i def need some instruction to move on i feel like ive gotten as far as i can on my own and im having a hard time moving on.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    I couldnt find info for that clinic got a link? Im doing this on my own so no instruction no pointers besides a few people giving me some tips. I think i def need some instruction to move on i feel like ive gotten as far as i can on my own and im having a hard time moving on.
    http://www.toyotasportscenter.com/pa...hockey-classes

Click on the top link for a PDF flyer that describes the classes. Then click on the photo in the lower right to go to the registration site. There's also a pure skating class (no gear) 3 times a week in addition to the other classes - I'm taking the equivalent of this at Anaheim Ice right now. The Adult LTP and Adult "Be a Player" look the same to me except the LTP doesn't include scrimmages, but it's like $50 less. I'm guessing the LTP is for less experienced players which is why I'm taking it. Both are Sunday at 4:50 though so maybe we'll all be on the ice together. Right now there's only 8 people in the LTP class, including me. 16 in the "Be a Player" class.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1145 Post(s)

Just got back from StickTime at KHS and Teemu Selanne's son was skating it...he is a natural!

I finally had some great instruction in net today and learned lateral butterfly slides to block one timers, learneed how to set up in Reverse VH from the top of the crease to a b-fly slide to the post, also worked on t-pushing to top of the crease, then shuffle across the arc of the crease as the skater changed his position out front with the puck. There was a minor league goalie (everglades) who was skating out and helping us out. He took my ringer virginity and zipped one high and hit me square in the mask...that was a clink to a quick ring that disapated fast. He also got me good in the shoulder, stinger fo'sho. Im getting a new chesty on Wednesday since mine is ancient!

Today was a blast as I learned some fundamentals that I can work on from here on out!

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1145 Post(s)

Did sticktime at Lakewood with my teammate and almost 30 other people today, it was a zoo! The good news is that they had 5 nets out there. 2 of them were reserved at the south end for a goalie lesson and the other was for a couple guys skating out. The third and fourth were positioned at center ice, facing each other, cross ice.

My buddy and I chose to focus on working on stuff at one of the side nets. I did take about 15 shots in the main net, but it was too chaotic. Back at the sidenet I had my friend help me with my lateral movement and slides. Id start at tbe top of the crease, he would tap his stick which was my cue to start my movement to the post. I would look in the direction I was going, pivot my lead foot and drop that leg as I pushed with my opposite foot, resulting in a butterfly slide. As I slid be would then shoot the puck from a relatively steep angle, simulating a one-timer. I felt really good doing these since I had worked on them on Monday. This time it felt more natural and I was able to stay up right and well balanced while squeezing my elbows to my body to seal the 7 hole. We went back and forth between waffle board and glove side.

After that I helped him out with his wristwrs from in close, and same with his back hand. Tried to simulate rebounds to top of the crease for him to backhand in...he did great. We also worked in one-timers with some other guys but that was too hectic with all that was going on. The ice got chopped up pretty quickly but I was still abke to work on my butterfly pushes and made great progress with those! We ground down some of the cowling on the inside portion of my skates and it gave me bettwr contact with my blade on the ice.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

BD you going to the KHS Clinic tomorrow? My normal Wednesday night skate class is off this week so I thought I'd do that instead to get some ice time. Also gonna check out stick time at Yorba Linda Ice this afternoon. I went to a stick time at KHS last week and was told we only had the ice between the blue lines because they were doing private lessons on both halves. I said screw that. Hopefully it's not the same at YL or at least not as crowded.