Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yipperzz View Post
    It's good to learn some basic stuff, but just be prepared for the many people that show up. It's good to get some of the drills and practices in, but don't expect to get too much individual time. They're pretty large groups typically. Once you start the actual season at Lakewood, you can start attending Stick Times and Pick Ups for free. I think you get 4 or 5 per season for free? Once I played in two different leagues and I had 10 free sessions. Ended up talking to Scott to trade some of them for the clinics to get some practice in. After 2 or 3, I ended up just using them for pick up since it wasn't very useful for me.

Not sure what's up with their schedules lately but they haven't had pick up games for a few weeks now.
    Interesting...thanks for the heads up. Sounds a lot like the LTP clinics they are having in Anaheim. There's at least 40 people on the ice for these. Some of the instruction leaves a bit to be desired.

I read that they were re-doing the ice on one of the rinks (A, I think) and completely re-doing the whole rink on C. Once they get A going the schedule should pick up.
    Last edited by Peggy_GKG; July 20th, 2015 at 09:43 AM.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    I talked to Brandon and he said.the Monday clinics will be at 7:20pm still when they resume. Dont trust the flyers you see posted. Best thing to do is check the schedule everyday at lakewoodice.com.

marco and i have done a few of the monday night clinics there and they havent been that great. the khs ones seem to be the best.
    I was actually hedging back and forth between the Lakewood and KHS clinics, now with these two un-endorsements, gives me a bit more to think about. Hopefully they keep the KHS clinics going for a while. I did stick time there this Saturday morning and it was great, 8 skaters on the ice. A couple of the guys had been going to the last few clinics, one of whom was a real beginner. So that makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only n00b out there.

The stick-handling class I'm taking is also going great, there were 4 of us last class, so definitely getting the help where I need it.

Did you see the Coach Ethan flyers in the Lakewood FB page? He's having two separate 10-week clinics. I'm giving a passing thought to the rookie one.

1st Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy_GKG View Post
    Interesting...thanks for the heads up. Sounds a lot like the LTP clinics they are having in Anaheim. There's at least 40 people on the ice for these. Some of the instruction leaves a bit to be desired.

I read that they were re-doing the ice on one of the rinks (A, I think) and completely re-doing the whole rink on C. Once they get A going the schedule should pick up.
    Yeah I saw that they're doing A last night. That explains their lack of pickups. I think it'll be back in a few weeks. So glad they're re-doing C. That rink sucked so bad. Pulled my groin on that ice and those boards were pretty tall and flimsy. We'll see how it looks later.

And sorry, I wasn't trying to discourage you from going, just giving you some information so you don't end up surprised. I guess it depends on the week too. But more often than not, I was there with at least 20 other people. Any ice time is good, but more ice and more attention from the instructors will always be more beneficial.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Yeah I saw that they're doing A last night. That explains their lack of pickups. I think it'll be back in a few weeks. So glad they're re-doing C. That rink sucked so bad. Pulled my groin on that ice and those boards were pretty tall and flimsy. We'll see how it looks later.

And sorry, I wasn't trying to discourage you from going, just giving you some information so you don't end up surprised. I guess it depends on the week too. But more often than not, I was there with at least 20 other people. Any ice time is good, but more ice and more attention from the instructors will always be more beneficial.
    It's all good, I appreciate the insight. I'll probably check it out a time or two just to get a feel. The only thing that worries me is the 6:10 start time which is a bit early for my schedule. I am ramping up for the Anaheim Fall Rookie League and just want to get as much solid instruction and time on the ice before that starts in October so I'm as ready as I can be (without going overboard).

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Re: KHS Clinic 7/22/15

Well doesn't look like these will be going away anytime soon. 24 skaters out last night, including at least 7-8 from that same team that always shows up. They were in their spiffy game uniforms. Usual stuff, 20 minutes of 'power-skating' drills, basic fundamentals. Good for me, maybe not as interesting or useful for some of the other skaters. Then we broke off in to two groups of 12. Fortunately most of the better skaters were in the other group, including team Superstar. We did 3-on-1 dump and chase drills, which wasn't bad because coach separated out the D-men who were all pretty good so it was actually a challenge for us to score, even with no goalie. Rotated through that for 20 minutes then went to a basic horseshoe pass and shoot drill and then "connect-the dots" pass and shoot. Wasn't particularly pretty on my end but we got it done.

There was a goalie last week but not this week. Had one shown up they definitely would have gotten some good work in and seen a lot of quality shots (once the skating was done). *Cough cough* Will likely go next week.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1370 Post(s)

Well, our daughter was born Wednesday night, so I couldn't make it to the clinic. Wifey is super cool though and I will still be playing in our games and once we get our daughter's routine set I'm sure I can squeeze in a clinic here and there as well.

That is comedy about those guys that show up in the same uniforms, I bet they feel pretty gung-ho out there!

It's great to see you so passionate about learning the game PGKG, hopefully one of these days we can play on the same team, or I can sub for your team, or something like that! Keep up the hard work man!

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Well, our daughter was born Wednesday night, so I couldn't make it to the clinic. Wifey is super cool though and I will still be playing in our games and once we get our daughter's routine set I'm sure I can squeeze in a clinic here and there as well.

That is comedy about those guys that show up in the same uniforms, I bet they feel pretty gung-ho out there!

It's great to see you so passionate about learning the game PGKG, hopefully one of these days we can play on the same team, or I can sub for your team, or something like that! Keep up the hard work man!
    Wow dude, that is awesome. Congratulations! I guess that's a good enough excuse for being out...

Yeah even Coach Wess was busting their balls a little bit about the uniforms. Anyway since we're getting all sentimental I'll just say thanks for all your help as well, you've been super cool and I definitely appreciate the support.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

It's good to learn some basic stuff, but just be prepared for the many people that show up. It's good to get some of the drills and practices in, but don't expect to get too much individual time. They're pretty large groups typically. Once you start the actual season at Lakewood, you can start attending Stick Times and Pick Ups for free. I think you get 4 or 5 per season for free? Once I played in two different leagues and I had 10 free sessions. Ended up talking to Scott to trade some of them for the clinics to get some practice in. After 2 or 3, I ended up just using them for pick up since it wasn't very useful for me.

Not sure what's up with their schedules lately but they haven't had pick up games for a few weeks now.
    So pretty much as you described. I think there were 18 skaters out last night, one goalie who seemed to be pretty green. I assume most of the skaters were in one or more of the Lakewood leagues. Varying levels, but it's encouraging to see that I'm able to at least hold my own more and more in these clinics. Seems like most of the people there were regulars as Coach knew a lot of them and even asked what the group wanted to work on. Did the usual warm-up skating drills (people REALLY need to work on their cross-overs), some stick-handling, then passing and shooting and finally a 4-on-4 half ice scrimmage.

I'm sure I'll keep going to at least some of these until league play ramps up in October. Can't wait.

1st Line Role Player
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)

As long as you get something out of it, it's all good.

So to everyone out there, I'm not sure if you're all on reddit, but the /r/losangeleskings subreddit has a pickup game this weekend on Saturday night (10 PM - 11 PM) at TSC for really cheap. If you're on reddit, message the organizer (wiseaus_stunt_double) as we are not close to full yet. Or you can post in the thread here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/losangelesk...tsc_81_1011pm/

I believe the skill level is all over the place, so come on out and get some skating in!

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1370 Post(s)

Looks like the Wednesday night KHS adult clinic got moved to Friday nights, still at 8:40pm though.