Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

Default Adult Clinic & Pick Up roll call thread

Thought it might be cool to start one of these threads so we can see who might be playing when and where.

Tonight I will be doing the Adult Skills Clinic at KHS in Anaheim at 8:40pm, will be playing goalie.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Good idea. Let us know how that clinic goes, I'll be dropping in, in a few weeks.

Watch out for those roaches in the locker room.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

Tonights clinic at KHS was awesome! The coach really knows how to run these things, and genuinely cares about everyone that is on the ice. We started off with about 5 minutes of dicking around with pucks, shooting on us goalies. (4 goalies total tonight) We then went into various skating drills for the next 15-20 minutes or so...and he customized the drills to the goalies, which was sweet! After the skating drills we broke off into groups, with a goalie at each net (4 nets set up cross ice from each other in each zone. He had everyone (including goalies) put their sticks on the bench. We proceeded to do 2 on 2 with a soccer ball, that was fun! It really emphasized skating. After about 10 minutes of that we did 2 on 2 cross ice scrimmage. In order to shoot and have possession you had to pass the puck to the coach on the blue line, then he would pass it back into play...this then rolled into 3 on 3.

I had a blast and am feeling more comfortable on the ice with each session. I really believe having a solid background in skating out has really helped me transition into goalie. Im still wanting to get instruction on the different types of pad slides and what not. I did practice VH and reverse VH during the scrimmage, so that was cool.

If you are thinking about coming out to this session, I highly recommend it! I will be there next Wednesday for sure!

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

Right on, great review. When I was emailing with Coach Wess he told me he had 2 different coaches running 2 groups based on the skill level.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

Buddy and I will be doing the Lakewood ASC this Monday night at 7:25pm, hopefully one of you guys might be able to join!

Come back zinc !
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    Buddy and I will be doing the Lakewood ASC this Monday night at 7:25pm, hopefully one of you guys might be able to join!
    Is it the old Russian dude still ? Those clinics were good. Sucks I just can't anymore.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCalo2000 View Post
    Is it the old Russian dude still ? Those clinics were good. Sucks I just can't anymore.
    If his name is Masha, then yeah he still runs it. Pretty sure we had Coach Wess out there last Wednesday night, he coaches a Jr. Ice Dogs team and sports the sweet old school Jofa Brain Bucket (Gretz/McSorely/Huddy…)

Come back zinc !
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beedee View Post
    If his name is Masha, then yeah he still runs it. Pretty sure we had Coach Wess out there last Wednesday night, he coaches a Jr. Ice Dogs team and sports the sweet old school Jofa Brain Bucket (Gretz/McSorely/Huddy…)

I think it's him. He didn't have the helmet when I was there. Sucks I couldn't build off the drills. I would have liked to continued to go.

4th Line Rabble-Rouser
    Images
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)

Most likely doing the ASC with my buddy at KHS tomorrow night, 8:40pm.

1st Scoring Line
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

So, I lied. I'm probably not going to be doing the KHS Clinics anytime soon. Reason being is that I'm taking my follow-up skating class, which is also Wednesday nights, and I'm also signed up for the Adult "Learn to Play" Program at TSC on Sundays. Best as I can tell this is basically a stick-handling and skating drills class, along with possibly some scrimmages, so sounds like it's basically the same thing as the KHS clinics. It's a bit of a drive for me to El Segundo but it's Sunday afternoons so shouldn't be too bad. If things go as planned I'll get in to the Anaheim Rinks Rookie league starting in the fall, rather than wait until next year.

I did the Adult Learn to Play Hockey program at Anaheim a few weeks ago, this was for straight beginners. Good thing is that it was free, they even provide all the equipment for those that don't have it. It's basically the same thing, 3-one hour sessions of skating and puck drills. After that they try and get you to sign up for the rookie league, which is kind of funny. Of about 40 people there, I was in the top 10 as far as skating ability, and I've been on the ice for 3 months. There were a lot of TRUE beginners there who had no business signing up for any kind of league, other than maybe broom ball. Fortunately I don't think they got too many people to sign up right away, and those that did were probably ready. I think another skating class and this LTP class at TSC will prepare me to at least get my feet wet in the rookie league this fall. At the end of the 3rd session we had a scrimmage which was pretty ugly, but I felt like I did really well. Our team lost like 8-1 but I was +1, or maybe 0 (they might have gotten one in while I was out, can't remember exactly), and I really felt like I knew what I was doing as far as skating, positioning, and general awareness. I'm sure it will be tougher in the actual league but I also think that's the best way to learn.