Click Here!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Birdman buy a new TV

Default Help Birdman buy a new TV

Some Background, 6 years ago or so, I re-did "The Man Cave" and bought a 50" Plasma. I hung it up on the wall 6 feet so that my little monkeys couldn't get their finger prints all over it, scratch it, and destroy it. Its been repaired once, but its on its last legs, and the wife wants to change the room because, well, it got taken over by her and the kids a long time ago. I MIGHT get to fight to watch a game or play my video games at night, but they basically took it over.

Because my "Little Monkeys" are now 13 and 9, I'm not going to hang it up that high. There will no longer be ball or puck play in there, and it has to house the computer area.

The plan is to go little bit north of 50" (65" might be the sweet spot), and I don't HAVE to get the curved screen, or the 4K, or even a smart TV because I have all the components already (DirecTV Receiver, Roku, BluRay/DVD, Xbox One). I'm leaning towards an LED, but there are so many different flavors. The original TV had built in surround (Wireless subwoofer and rear speakers) and a sound bar at the bottom, so if I don't get that built in, I'm buying that too.

I've got some budget to do this. She's getting the room redone AGAIN, and new furniture, so she's not gonna bitch if I drop $2K. The thing is, because 4K content is a ways off, I'm leaning on going cheaper then popping for that later.

Tell me what YOU would do.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

Seriously though I watch so little TV because when I turn it on a rugrat comes crawling out of nowhere. Kinda can't wait until they are telling me our TV is so lame and what we need to get.

Everyone says Vizio is the way to go but I still stick with Samsung.
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Everyone says Vizio is the way to go but I still stick with Samsung.
    The last one I had was a Vizio, and I was quite happy with it. I knew when I bought it that Plasma doesn't last forever.

And you don't have to necessarily have the Samsung brand name, but Samsung glass is preferred, even though there may be another name on it.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

We have a Toshiba 46" and a Vizio 55" tv. Both have been good to us.
    I AM THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics.../dp/B00KZER5GS

This is frequently on sale for $1999 and was actually just $1499 at Frys (one-day sale).

CNET said it had the best picture quality of any TV they've reviewed. After seeing it in person, I'd have to agree.
    Cornell Hockey - LETS GO RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post

This is frequently on sale for $1999 and was actually just $1499 at Frys (one-day sale).

CNET said it had the best picture quality of any TV they've reviewed. After seeing it in person, I'd have to agree.
    Concur 1000% on this. Saw one at HHGregg about 2 months ago and my jaw dropped. Organic LED FTW!!!
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post

Just went to an A/V convention last week and they had this TV on display. I stood there staring at this thing for over 5 minutes. I didn't want to leave. Blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
    Concur 1000% on this. Saw one at HHGregg about 2 months ago and my jaw dropped. Organic LED FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DRGinLBC View Post
    Just went to an A/V convention last week and they had this TV on display. I stood there staring at this thing for over 5 minutes. I didn't want to leave. Blown away.
    I've been trying to justify buying this for a few months now. I have a Panasonic ST60 plasma which has terrific picture quality, but this tv seems like a world beater.
    Cornell Hockey - LETS GO RED!

Id be all over that s*** if I didnt just buy a brand new central air system. When I saw it a while ago, I was picking up a $500, 50" Toshiba when I walked past the OLED. I stood there like a bafoon with my mouth agape for easily, 10 minutes, no lie. A sales douche walked up to me and said "She's a bute, right?". I nodded and wiped the drool off my goatee. I grabbed my $500, 50" Toshiba and walked out with my head held low and feeling shame.

I sat in my truck and questioned my existence for 5 minutes....and then my Clash of Clans villiage got raided.

That IS my next tube (die 60" Sony Bravia, DIE!!!)

Truth.

Edit: The OLED was $3999.00 then, so Id be all over that at $1500.00, $2k even.
    Last edited by nocturn; May 1st, 2015 at 03:22 PM.
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"