Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1712 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
    Id be all over that s*** if I didnt just buy a brand new central air system. When I saw it a while ago, I was picking up a $500, 50" Toshiba when I walked past the OLED. I stood there like a bafoon with my mouth agape for easily, 10 minutes, no lie. A sales douche walked up to me and said "She's a bute, right?". I nodded and wiped the drool off my goatee. I grabbed my $500, 50" Toshiba and walked out with my head held low and feeling shame.

I sat in my truck and questioned my existence for 5 minutes....and then my Clash of Clans villiage got raided.

That IS my next tube (die 60" Sony Bravia, DIE!!!)

Truth.

Edit: The OLED was $3999.00 then, so Id be all over that at $1500.00, $2k even.
    My squeal point is probably $2K, but this 55" is pretty much meeting all the points I want to hit. She's not gonna gripe if I spend a little more on it than I want, but I'm going to have to pop another $500 to get a surround rig.

I'm going to look after work. If my jaw hits the floor after looking at all the others, I may walk out with it.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1712 Post(s)

See, here's the thing tho. I see stuff like this, and then I don't want to drop the extra coin:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-...;skuId=2003054

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-p-...;skuId=8509662

With the latter, I'm walking out the door for $800 less for a vendor I was nothing but happy with that's 10" bigger. The only problem with that is, its 3" wider than the space I want to put it.
    at the draft party a couple of years ago, and under a considerable haze, i heard Birdman yell out the following (about 4 or 5 times, i think) - "don't marry yourselves to players!" he went on to reiterate that idea more than once on the boards, and i believe it to be absolutely sage.

---gescom

Trouble Will Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    647 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    See, here's the thing tho. I see stuff like this, and then I don't want to drop the extra coin:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-...&skuId=2003054

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-p-...&skuId=8509662

With the latter, I'm walking out the door for $800 less for a vendor I was nothing but happy with that's 10" bigger. The only problem with that is, its 3" wider than the space I want to put it.
    Are you in a rush to buy your TV? If not, i'd wait a month or two to see if Fry's drops that OLED down to $1499 again. Don't know where you're located, but Microcenter in Tustin (i think??) has had this TV on sale too. Even with Tax, you'd be comfortably under $2k at that price. And don't quote me on this, but Frys has been running a lot of "we pay the sales tax" promotions lately and I think that OLED tv was included.

Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)

But unless you check everyday how will we know when it's at that price?
    Any links or mail lists?

Trouble Will Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    647 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
    But unless you check everyday how will we know when it's at that price?
    Any links or mail lists?
    Yep. Just have to sign up for their e-mail mailing list.

also, slickdeals.net is a good site to peruse. You can set up a "deal alert" on there so you'll get a notification as soon as someone posts about a sale price on that TV.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2048 Post(s)

Slava is looking to replace one of his LED TV's as well.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1712 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    Are you in a rush to buy your TV? If not, i'd wait a month or two to see if Fry's drops that OLED down to $1499 again. Don't know where you're located, but Microcenter in Tustin (i think??) has had this TV on sale too. Even with Tax, you'd be comfortably under $2k at that price. And don't quote me on this, but Frys has been running a lot of "we pay the sales tax" promotions lately and I think that OLED tv was included.
    So I went to Best Buy last night. The Ferrari was there, and it was flat out gorgeous. The issue is, its $2500. They will price match anyone, even if I pull it up on my phone.

The problem is, I've changed my tune again on the TV. If I'm dropping 2K, I want a 4K TV. No need to have to spend more coin again in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    Yep. Just have to sign up for their e-mail mailing list.

also, slickdeals.net is a good site to peruse. You can set up a "deal alert" on there so you'll get a notification as soon as someone posts about a sale price on that TV.
    http://slickdeals.net/f/7837691-dell...inus+Deal+Talk

That means I can walk out of Best buy with it for $2K.

The other thing is, I'm in the gap between when the older models are still available (Not 4K) and the newer models are available.

I could just buy last years model and wait.

And why do I have to buy a new one? Because the contractors are at my house redoing the room, and they already hauled the old crappy one away. I could buy a smaller one for the bedroom and move that 42 upstairs for a bit, but at this point, I think I'm just being stupid.

---gescom

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3871 Post(s)

Sittin' on the couch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    The problem is, I've changed my tune again on the TV. If I'm dropping 2K, I want a 4K TV. No need to have to spend more coin again in 5 years.
    My personal take on 1080 vs 4k, if you are right up against it, like a monitor, 4k is indispensable. If you are several feet away, as you usually are when watching TV, the difference is less noticeable. The exceptions are when you have a gigantically stupid big screen, or when you are watching in passive 3D, as you lose half your pixels, so there 4k makes a pretty good difference. All that said, I purchased 4k. Curved screens are a gimmick and make for poor viewing angles.

Super Sexy
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1712 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VF View Post
    My personal take on 1080 vs 4k, if you are right up against it, like a monitor, 4k is indispensable. If you are several feet away, as you usually are when watching TV, the difference is less noticeable. The exceptions are when you have a gigantically stupid big screen, or when you are watching in passive 3D, as you lose half your pixels, so there 4k makes a pretty good difference. All that said, I purchased 4k. Curved screens are a gimmick and make for poor viewing angles.
    I took home the 60" Vizio 4K from Costco last night. I got out the door for $1500 (Tax and Extended Warranty Included). Its purdy!!!!

The sound bar question is, does the size matter? The width on the front one is 36" to 54" (The latter being the size of the TV). Does that really matter?

Do I really need the rear speakers anymore?

---gescom