Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)

More on a budget, I got a 49" base model Viz few weeks ago and and could not be happier! Congrats Bird on the the new toy!

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2086 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I took home the 60" Vizio 4K from Costco last night. I got out the door for $1500 (Tax and Extended Warranty Included). Its purdy!!!!

The sound bar question is, does the size matter? The width on the front one is 36" to 54" (The latter being the size of the TV). Does that really matter?

Do I really need the rear speakers anymore?
    Great pickup, BTW did you see Slava picking up a new 4K as well? I heard his last TV had a crack in the corner.

All Star
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Sounds good, new toys are always nice. I'm still a few years away from needing to get 4k unless I wanted to jump up to 55"+ in my Home Theater space. I'm happy with the 46" Samsung LED in there at the moment and the cheap $500 range 40" Samsung LED in the bedroom

Soundbars are settling to me, I still rather have at least a 5.1 setup. I'm currently using Klipsch Reference Series speakers in 5.1 powered by an Onkyo TX-NR818 7.2 receiver so I can add more speakers if I want to. Speakers look purty with the covers off.
    I have no live in GF or dependents so I can afford the fun stuff when I budget for it lol and not worry about aesthetics.
    Last edited by Fisch; October 2nd, 2015 at 02:03 AM.

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3351 Post(s)

since this has been revived, moving next summer and new TV is in the plans for the new place. What is the new thing now that will be cheaper but quality by then?

Trouble Will Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    647 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    since this has been revived, moving next summer and new TV is in the plans for the new place. What is the new thing now that will be cheaper but quality by then?
    How much do you want to spend? Size of TV? The Sony XBR-950C's are great tvs if they're in your price range. If you can afford an OLED from LG, then definitely get one of those though

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3351 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    How much do you want to spend? Size of TV? The Sony XBR-950C's are great tvs if they're in your price range. If you can afford an OLED from LG, then definitely get one of those though
    General budget looking around 1000, call it 800-1200 for what we use it for. Our current TV is 42" in the main room and its primary use is PBS, DVD's an VHS (kid fare) with occasional netflix binges. Not expecting the overall use to change much once we move excepting the possibility of more sports.

Main concern would be getting 5+ years out of the thing so preferring whatever tech is going to be dominant. Current model is a Sony Bravia that we picked up for under $800 about 5-6 years ago and had 1080. We are not fancy on the gadgets as you might be able to tell.

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2086 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
    Id be all over that s*** if I didnt just buy a brand new central air system.
    Regarding your new central air system, about how much did you spend? My system is 13 years old and the heat pump went out in the bonus room. I am thinking about going to a 16 seer system and the guy quoted me $15,000 for just the heat pump and new coil and replacing or flushing the lines with the new R410 Freon.

I might have to replace the downstairs air-conditioner and the upstairs air-conditioner as well as they are also 13 years old. With that said, I would have to spend another $35,000 on top of the $15,000 if I used this guy. This can't be right? If anyone has any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate them.

Trouble Will Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    647 Post(s)

General budget looking around 1000, call it 800-1200 for what we use it for. Our current TV is 42" in the main room and its primary use is PBS, DVD's an VHS (kid fare) with occasional netflix binges. Not expecting the overall use to change much once we move excepting the possibility of more sports.

Main concern would be getting 5+ years out of the thing so preferring whatever tech is going to be dominant. Current model is a Sony Bravia that we picked up for under $800 about 5-6 years ago and had 1080. We are not fancy on the gadgets as you might be able to tell.
    I think you'd be pretty safe with a 4K LED Tv. OLED is the future but is out of your price range now. It's debatable if 4K is worth it at sizes below 60", but you'll probably end up getting whether you like it or not because most quality sets now happen to be 4K sets. In about 6 months, the 50 inch version of the Sony XBR950C should be in your price range. If not, take a look at an M-series Vizio. I've heard great things about them too

Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3351 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    I think you'd be pretty safe with a 4K LED Tv. OLED is the future but is out of your price range now. It's debatable if 4K is worth it at sizes below 60", but you'll probably end up getting whether you like it or not because most quality sets now happen to be 4K sets. In about 6 months, the 50 inch version of the Sony XBR950C should be in your price range. If not, take a look at an M-series Vizio. I've heard great things about them too
    Something like this then? Sony XBR55X850B 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model)

I'm betting theres a 2015 model that will be in our price range by next spring.

Trouble Will Find Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    647 Post(s)

Something like this then? Sony XBR55X850B 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model)

I'm betting theres a 2015 model that will be in our price range by next spring.
    Yeah that's a great set. My parents actually have the 65" version of that and it's terrific. The 850C is just the 2015 version. I think the 850C has an android operating system but the picture quality is identical to the 850B.

If you're looking to buy a tv sooner, try to track down a 850B. You might even be able to get a good deal on a floor model if you can find one. You won't be disappointed.