Click Here!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: 2015 Avid Gardener Thread!

  1. #1

    Default 2015 Avid Gardener Thread!

    Sooo, who's growing what this season?

    At this point, I'm sticking to the tried and true "Early Girl Hybrid Bush" tomatoes and a few other things like Jalapenos, Green and Yellow Bells, and the standard mix of herbs. I haven't been to the local gardening center to check out this years offerings, yet.

    Anyone try that "Ketchup and Fries" hybrid that Salty Dog posted a few months back?

    Here's to a bumper 2015 crop!!!
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

  2. #2

    Default

    Trying to grow corn for the first time, will take advice from anyone that's done it before.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Trying to grow corn for the first time, will take advice from anyone that's done it before.
    Keep mini jammer away
    "We still have some guys that haven't scored since Jesus was a baby" - Sutter

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Trying to grow corn for the first time, will take advice from anyone that's done it before.
    Never tried. Ive heard that corn's soil requirements are pretty stringent, though. They also need a lot of space, sun and some wind to pollinate properly.

    Are you going straight into native soil or a native/amended mix?
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
    Never tried. Ive heard that corn's soil requirements are pretty stringent, though. They also need a lot of space, sun and some wind to pollinate properly.

    Are you going straight into native soil or a native/amended mix?
    The local nursery has a planting mix that I've mixed in over the last 4-5 years so the beds pretty deep now. I believe the soil is balanced pretty well. They told us to plant one stalk per 12" so we are trying 6. Only supposed to get one harvest per planting. Hoping if our first batch goes right we can plant again and get a second harvest by September. So far the stalks are already 12-18" high.

    Also trying some ghost chili peppers for our asian student who can't find anything hot to eat.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    Trying to grow corn for the first time, will take advice from anyone that's done it before.
    My dad did that when I was a kid. Probably planted a dozen or so. All I remember was that hardly any of the corn was edible. So, best of luck bro.

    This year I finally setting up a decent sized herb garden. Mixed in, some chiles de arbol and chiles pequin.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juliochango View Post
    My dad did that when I was a kid. Probably planted a dozen or so. All I remember was that hardly any of the corn was edible. So, best of luck bro.
    LMFAO!!!

    Some of my Corona just shot into my nasal cavity reading that!

    Thats pretty much how i remember it when my mom tried to grow it when I was a kid. Lol!
    Last edited by nocturn; May 5th, 2015 at 01:30 PM.
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jammer06 View Post
    The local nursery has a planting mix that I've mixed in over the last 4-5 years so the beds pretty deep now. I believe the soil is balanced pretty well. They told us to plant one stalk per 12" so we are trying 6. Only supposed to get one harvest per planting. Hoping if our first batch goes right we can plant again and get a second harvest by September. So far the stalks are already 12-18" high.

    Also trying some ghost chili peppers for our asian student who can't find anything hot to eat.
    I know its fairly easy to grow the juvenile, pre fruiting plants. The tough part is maintaining the plant after its been pollinated. Proper hydration and frequency is the key.
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post

    Thats pretty much how i remember it when my mom tried to grow it when I was a kid. Lol!
    Did you guys get that funky, mushy, purpleish- grayish kernels? I do not know if it was mold, some disease, or the fact that my dad tried growing it in Boyle Heights in super hard dirt. I have always wanted to try growing corn, but that requires special attention. So props to anyone that is willing to give it a shot.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juliochango View Post
    Did you guys get that funky, mushy, purpleish- grayish kernels? I do not know if it was mold, some disease, or the fact that my dad tried growing it in Boyle Heights in super hard dirt. I have always wanted to try growing corn, but that requires special attention. So props to anyone that is willing to give it a shot.
    Lol! I remember it being small as s*** and hard as a f***ing ROCK! Worse than the bottom of a popcorn bag. I remember my pops grumbling "Just eat it! Your mom worked hard for it." Good ole family around the dinner table, in the 70's. That was the last time mom tried corn. She planted Fig, Apple, Pear and Cherry trees after that. Later, she canned the s*** out of them too. The canned Spiced Pears....damn...i can still remember the taste of clove and sugared pear...35 years later...

    And yeah, Riverside dirt was compete crap too. Lol!
    Last edited by nocturn; May 5th, 2015 at 02:59 PM.
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •