Click Here!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potentially moving to the bay area, help!

Default Potentially moving to the bay area, help!

I'm potentially getting a promotion to my companies' Bay Area location in Walnut Creek. Anyone have any recommendations for decent apartments in the East Bay? (no way I can afford the city)

Ideally, I'd like to stay below $1400/month (might be a crazy request, I know). I'm fine with a studio, as long as there is on-site facility laundry, it's safe, and relatively close to a BART station. I'm not too snooty on fancy amenities and all that jazz. I'm searching the usual suspects online-Zillow, Apartment Guide, etc etc but if anyone has any recommendations I'm certainly all ears.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Walnut creek is right down the road from me in Martinez. Most of the apartments off the BART stop in walnut creek might be too pricy but the Concord ones (Concord downtown and at BART station) will be closer to your budget. Concord downtown is being gentrified so has good shopping and whatnot even if the city has rough spots.

If you want to live on the east bay side of the tunnel I'd stick near the Rockridge Bart station. More of the Berkeley college feel to it. Good shopping and food on College ave.

Be careful looking anywhere around DVC (Diablo valley college) as there are a ton of apartments but many students and is the sole burglary hotspot in the area. Community college kids are easy prey and proximity will put your belongings at risk.

Good luck, it's a nice place.

I'd find another job or blow my brains out before I'd move to the bay area. Good luck any way.
    I'm younger than my tongue, and older than my teeth.

2nd Scoring Line

Quote Originally Posted by x-wingcamewest View Post
    I'd find another job or blow my brains out before I'd move to the bay area. Good luck any way.
    I hate it when people don't say what they really mean.

Be ready to make a quick decision, and have a check and a copy of your credit report in hand. Good luck!

I'm currently trying to find a place for my daughter who starts grad school at SFSU in August. The ads on Craigslist for apt/room shares are very entertaining. A lot of the people don't even bother to clean the room before taking a picture to post. The bed will be unmade and shoes/clothes/unidentifiable items strewn on the floor. The demand is so high that they don't have to bother. I've seen 2 apartment shares in a particular area get taken down within an hour of being posted, and the response rate to any further inquiries has been less than 50%. We'll probably have to take a month-to-month of whatever we can get in the school vicinity until she can be there to pounce on something that's actually suitable. It's scary. She has a high school friend there who told her what neighborhoods to stay in, but I'll gladly take any recommendations from LGK'ers.

Quote Originally Posted by makemelaugh View Post
    Be ready to make a quick decision, and have a check and a copy of your credit report in hand. Good luck!

I'm currently trying to find a place for my daughter who starts grad school at SFSU in August. The ads on Craigslist for apt/room shares are very entertaining. A lot of the people don't even bother to clean the room before taking a picture to post. The bed will be unmade and shoes/clothes/unidentifiable items strewn on the floor. The demand is so high that they don't have to bother. I've seen 2 apartment shares in a particular area get taken down within an hour of being posted, and the response rate to any further inquiries has been less than 50%. We'll probably have to take a month-to-month of whatever we can get in the school vicinity until she can be there to pounce on something that's actually suitable. It's scary. She has a high school friend there who told her what neighborhoods to stay in, but I'll gladly take any recommendations from LGK'ers.
    I wish I could help but thats a little far from me and even when we did live on the peninsula side we were down in San Mateo. The market is very hot right now for rentals especially in the student housing areas. Over by DVC many students are making a living subletting their apartments. They put up fake partition walls in the living room and dining rooms to pack more kids in. The best part is they make these walls out of those boxes from the post office. Just crazy. Be careful of those month to month arrangements, there's some pretty sketchy people out there. Best bet would be for her to find a room for let with other students. Tough it out for a month or two and see what she can get from there. Unless she's really lucky or willing to pay she's probably going to have to share a place with someone.

Thanks for the advice, Jammer. I've seen lots of "share living room" ads that say the area is partitioned off, but they don't specify that it's with postal boxes. That's sad! It's a whole different world there for sure.

Whole nuther world sure is right, it's looking like it might have to be Concord. I'm lucky that I make/will be making a decent income, well north of the state median....and I'll be reserved to living in a studio apartment in a stucco crap box building. Yay for the middle class!

If you have to go further Brentwood has some ok spots but some really rough spots and the traffic is a goddamn nightmare coming and going on 4 if you don't take BART. If you'll have a car anywhere in the pleasant hill/martinez region starts to get a lot more affordable off the BART line and its easy enough to find parking for jaunts into the city. If you bike at all you probably wouldn't even need a car as there are several trails that all go close by the BART stations.

How about San Leandro and Hayward? Things tend to look a bit more realistic financially, at least for a non trust funder. Would the traffic from there to Walnut Creek be terrible?