waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

Default Help me pick a Cheap Computer

Im looking for a new laptop/2 in 1 computer. Sole purpose is something small(sub 14" screen) that has a keyboard I can take when I travel so I can do some writing and keep a journal and normal net stuff. Thus I wont be doing serious gaming or programming.

The two im looking at are below but if there is another option that other recomend Im all ears.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100171572.html?&EMID=B2C_2015_0604_CyberS ummer_computers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UB01E8Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3FRK8L7V AQ0JY
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

Do or Do Not!
    Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    934 Post(s)

Go Amazon!

I am the Monkey King, I can do Anything.

Winning is habitual.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Much better machine for only slightly more price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-...uId=1312657142

Do or Do Not!
    Images
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    934 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Len-Det64 View Post
    Much better machine for only slightly more price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-...uId=1312657142

I am the Monkey King, I can do Anything.

waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

Gracias Len. Just curious as far as being better, Toshiba simple a better brand or it something about OS?
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Winning is habitual.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    Gracias Len. Just curious as far as being better, Toshiba simple a better brand or it something about OS?
    Both Acer and Toshiba seem to be quality products.

They have the same OS except for the Acer is a 32 bit machine and the Toshiba is a 64 bit machine. The Toshiba has 2G more RAM - 4G vs. 2G. There is a trade off between the hard drives. The Toshiba has a 500G standard magnetic 5400 rpm HD while the Acer has a 64G SSD with no moving parts in it. The Acer will be able to access information to and from the SSD faster than the Toshiba HD but you are very limited with only 64G of memory on the drive and 16G of that will be devoted to the OS. On the Toshiba it may be a bit slower on the access of information but you shouldn't have to worry too much about filling up the HD either. The processor speed of the Toshiba is 2.2 GHz while the Acer is lumping along at 1.33 GHz so you may gain some of that start-up speed back just by the Toshiba processor. The Acer screen size is 10" while the Toshiba is 13" both are touchscreens with similar resolutions. You may find the bigger screen much easier on the eyes when you are typing your journals as well as the keyboard size. The Acer is more like a mini laptop while the Toshiba is more like a full size laptop. I find it hard to adjust to typing on the smaller keyboards. Given their size difference they don't weigh much different. The Toshiba is 4.9 lbs. and the Acer is 3.6 probably mostly due to the hard drive difference and possibly battery size. The only other thing you may want to consider is Battery life. I have no idea how either one matches up to the other I didn't see any information in the descriptions. My guess is that the Acer may last longer because of the use of the SSD but the Toshiba probably does have a larger battery which may make up some of the difference.
    Last edited by Len-Det64; June 8th, 2015 at 04:10 PM.

waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

Thanks a ton Len....that is some great information and I appreciate you taking the time to share that with me.