Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Thread: Lakers 2nd pick in the draft.

  1. #1
    Kings Fan
    Hkyfmly's Avatar
    Karma: 2060093000
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    589
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

    Default Lakers 2nd pick in the draft.

    So do the Lakers take the kid from DUke at 2 or treadr it away? Please take him and improve the team. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    2 Late to Change My Name
    HeadInjury's Avatar
    Karma: 1809862
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)

    Default

    Regarding the unsubstantiated rumors of swapping #2 for Cousins, don't forget the cap implications. Trading for Cousins would cost the team around $10 million in cap space compared to drafting Okafor on a rookie deal. So the trade is effectively #2 pick + solid free agent for Cousins.

    Bad idea.

  3. #3
    Hit it like a baby seal
    SmytheKing's Avatar
    Karma: 2156500
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    778 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    Regarding the unsubstantiated rumors of swapping #2 for Cousins, don't forget the cap implications. Trading for Cousins would cost the team around $10 million in cap space compared to drafting Okafor on a rookie deal. So the trade is effectively #2 pick + solid free agent for Cousins.

    Bad idea.
    I was also hearing talk that they'd get the #6 pick as well. While that's a little more palatable, I really don't want him in LA. A malcontent with no leadership to control him? No thanks.

    I gotta think they end up going with Okafor at this point. Seems Towns is going to MN and they aren't too sold on Okafor and Russell enough to go against the grain and pick the guard. I hear talk about that Croatian kid, but he looks pretty clumsy and slow. Shoots the lights out though. Pick Okafor, try and get a solid wing at 27 to play defense, pray you can get a Durant or Westbrook in another year, and build out a bench with some key pickups this offseason and next.

  4. #4
    2 Late to Change My Name
    HeadInjury's Avatar
    Karma: 1809862
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)

    Default

    Most of these reports are just being thrown out there to get Internet clicks. I see the Lakers drafting Okafor too.

  5. #5
    <3 Tanner <3
    TooCool's Avatar
    Karma: 2147221567
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    20,656
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3385 Post(s)

    Default

    The only thing that scares me is that Jim Buss is behind the wheel here.

    The Lakers should draft Okafor. No ifs and or buts... unless the T-Wolves snatch him up for some reason, then we get Towns. And who knows... maybe Dwayne Wade will opt out and sign with the Lakers to play with Kobe as well.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

    Rink Dawg

  6. #6
    Hit it like a baby seal
    SmytheKing's Avatar
    Karma: 2156500
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    778 Post(s)

    Default

    More and more reports coming that the Lakers are going to draft Russell. Could just be a smokescreen to try and get something from PHI too knowing they're high on him? Hearing this morning that Okafor's second workout wasn't too good and Russell's was and that's where it's coming from.

    Having said that, if the Lakers did that, and then maybe traded Clarkson and Randle for Cousins, are you happy if they can also pick up Aldridge or Love as a FA?

  7. #7
    <3 Tanner <3
    TooCool's Avatar
    Karma: 2147221567
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    20,656
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3385 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    More and more reports coming that the Lakers are going to draft Russell. Could just be a smokescreen to try and get something from PHI too knowing they're high on him? Hearing this morning that Okafor's second workout wasn't too good and Russell's was and that's where it's coming from.

    Having said that, if the Lakers did that, and then maybe traded Clarkson and Randle for Cousins, are you happy if they can also pick up Aldridge or Love as a FA?
    If the Lakers know they can get Love to sign here (since he is gonna opt out for a bigger contract), then I'm okay with drafting Russell since we're going to lose Lin anyway. Otherwise, I would still rather have Okafor.. especially since we don't know if Randle is injury prone or not.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

    LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

    Rink Dawg

  8. #8
    Hit it like a baby seal
    SmytheKing's Avatar
    Karma: 2156500
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    778 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    If the Lakers know they can get Love to sign here (since he is gonna opt out for a bigger contract), then I'm okay with drafting Russell since we're going to lose Lin anyway. Otherwise, I would still rather have Okafor.. especially since we don't know if Randle is injury prone or not.
    Listening to Cowherd (ugh) right now and he just had Ramona on. The thought is that Kupchack wants Okafor, Scott wants Russell, and Buss(t) wants Porzingis. Of course he does.

  9. #9
    2 Late to Change My Name
    HeadInjury's Avatar
    Karma: 1809862
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    352 Post(s)

    Default

    I think it's pointless to listen to all the talking heads now. Everyone is trolling for hits and contradicting each other and themselves.

    I'm pretty sure that if the Lakers traded for Cousins then there would not be room for a max offer to Love or Aldridge. All the more reason to take advantage of the rookie scale and draft Okafor or Russell.

  10. #10
    Hit it like a baby seal
    SmytheKing's Avatar
    Karma: 2156500
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    778 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    I think it's pointless to listen to all the talking heads now. Everyone is trolling for hits and contradicting each other and themselves.

    I'm pretty sure that if the Lakers traded for Cousins then there would not be room for a max offer to Love or Aldridge. All the more reason to take advantage of the rookie scale and draft Okafor or Russell.
    There would be room. Cousins is "only" making like 14 a year. I wouldn't like to get him, but it's a scenario that's trying to be worked out. I don't think it would happen, but there's enough smoke here to know the discussions have been happening.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •