Click Here!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: El Toro Gourmet Meats

Default El Toro Gourmet Meats

Has anyone tried this place? How does it compare with Beef Palace?

2nd Scoring Line

PM Hipcheck, that's his neck of the woods.

2nd Scoring Line

Okay wing hater, looks like Hipcheck is on a sabbatical.

Just going from memory here from a previous thread on this. It's been a few years, and I may have mild cognitive impairment, but my recollection is Hipcheck really likes El Toro meats.

I live two blocks from there. Never been to Beef Palace. I go to El Toro Meats at least once a month to grab a pastrami sandwich from the deli. The meat is good. Prices aren't the best, but you get what you pay for type of thing. It really depends on what I am looking for. There's a carneceria a block from there where I get taco meat, and the butcher in the Stater Bros up the road has the best prices on fresh meat in town, so I have to be looking for something in bulk,or a special cut to go to El Toro, but I am never disappointed with the quality or service.

On a lunch break the other day, I ran across http://www.themeathouse.com/ off Alicia (about a mile and a half from El Toro Meat House), Only saw the outside, but it's in the neighborhood. May have to give this place a shot this weekend.

2nd Scoring Line

I'm sure if you live there you go 'the hat' for pastrami. Only been around 65 years. I drive 50 miles RT to go there.

http://www.thehat.com/

The pastrami dip from the Hat is quite heavy, but quite good. Need to be in the mood for a really full feeling stomach, or drunk .
    The chili tamale sans pickles from the hat is so freaking good.

El Toro Meats is good...closest thing to Beef Palace in the area. I will say there beef pinwheel is fantastic. They take a sirloin steak cut it into a long strip, run it through the tenderizer, and then marinate in bourdelaise and wrap it in bacon....easily the best thing I have ever had there. They have different types of pinwheels as well if you are on a budget. Kingsjohn swears by their carne asada...but of course compared to the carniceria its way pricier. Only thing I have never tried is haggling with the workers, at beef palace you can get them to throw in some bacon or sausage....I have never asked at El Toro meats. Would also be interested in seeing if their chicken is as good. Rinkrat was the first to try the Beef Palaces fresh cut chicken and I have been a believer ever since....best quality chicken I have ever had-and its not even close.

This link is good....has their monthly specials and gets updated regularly. Looks like the chicken pinwheel is on special for 5.99 a lb as is their pork asada.
    Both worth a try at that price. Lets us know how it went!

http://eltoromeats.com/specials.aspx
    "You know, that sucks," said Doughty.

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

Quote Originally Posted by KingThomas View Post
    I live two blocks from there. Never been to Beef Palace. I go to El Toro Meats at least once a month to grab a pastrami sandwich from the deli. The meat is good. Prices aren't the best, but you get what you pay for type of thing. It really depends on what I am looking for. There's a carneceria a block from there where I get taco meat, and the butcher in the Stater Bros up the road has the best prices on fresh meat in town, so I have to be looking for something in bulk,or a special cut to go to El Toro, but I am never disappointed with the quality or service.

On a lunch break the other day, I ran across http://www.themeathouse.com/ off Alicia (about a mile and a half from El Toro Meat House), Only saw the outside, but it's in the neighborhood. May have to give this place a shot this weekend.
    I think the meat house is closed now but could be wrong. As for grocery stores....the Albertsons on Muirlands has a butcher with better quality meats than Stater Bros IMO.
    I used to hit up Stater Bros regularly but the one thing I noticed was that the beef tended to be dry and even when cooked rare I couldnt get a good juice from it. Thanks for tip on the sandwiches at El Toro Meats...will have to check that out.

If you're up for an adventure go to El Toro Carniceria on 1st in Santa Ana.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
    If you're up for an adventure go to El Toro Carniceria on 1st in Santa Ana.

Anytime you visit a carneceria in Santa Ana its going to be an adventure....

Case in point? My brother found this place and its the Beef Palace of Santa Chorizo Shops.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ochoas-chorizo-santa-ana