2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

Default Lakers 2015 - 2016 Thread

With Summer League underway, I figure it's time for a new thread.

Lakers lost to the Wolves yesterday by 13. It was tied going into the 4th when things got away.

Jordan Clarkson was by far the best player on the court, with 23 points. Russell's line was 8 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals and 5 turnovers. He's very much a pass first type of PG.

Upshaw is out of shape, but still had 3 blocks in only 12 minutes of play. The Lakers must have been afraid he was going to get snatched up by another team as they signed him to a 2-year deal after the game.

Towns certainly wasn't dominate. He had 12 points on 4-12 shooting and only 3 rebounds. Randle didn't really impress either but he's still recovering from injury.

Hit it like a baby seal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    778 Post(s)

It'll be really nice to see the reports after summer league. So far they're saying Russell looks good, but I want to hear more about him and Randle after a few more games. Some nice things about Nance coming out too regarding his energy and hustle. Hopefully he can be our next Rick Fox and be "that guy" off the bench. Hope Upshaw can get a little more too and make the team. Not sure if he can though with the depth up front. More wondering if the Lakers could/would be patient with him developing considering that depth right now.

2 Late to Change My Name
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

The Lakers finished the summer league a disappointing 1-4. I caught parts of the final two games against Dallas, a 2-point loss, and Utah, a 6-point loss. Too bad the summer league is so short as they were starting to play better. Russell had a really solid game against Utah with 21 points, including going 4 from 7 on three pointers.

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. When you break it down by position, compared to last year:

PG: Russell > Lin. In his rookie year, this might be close comparison, or it may not be.

SG: Clarkson > Kobe. Only speaking about last year.

SF: Kobe > Johnson. In Kobe's new position he'll be an upgrade over any SF we had last year even if he's old and undersized.

PF: Randle > Boozer.

C: Hibbert = Hill. Hibbert is much better defensively, which is more important for the Lakers as they have other scoring options. Obviously, Hill is better offensively, but even there he was inefficient.

As for the bench:

SG: Williams > Ellington

SF: A. Brown > Kelly (when Kelly was played their out of position last year)

PF: Bass = Davis. I like both players.

PF: Nance Jr. > Kelly

C: Upshaw > Sacre

You have to take next season with a grain of salt. The rookies are going to be mistake prone, particularly in the first half of the season. If Kobe is Kobe pre-achilles (unlikely), then they could get near 40 wins I think. But for a team that was so old so recently, a young base is in place and then you have two max slots next offseason.

Hit it like a baby seal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    778 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
    The Lakers finished the summer league a disappointing 1-4. I caught parts of the final two games against Dallas, a 2-point loss, and Utah, a 6-point loss. Too bad the summer league is so short as they were starting to play better. Russell had a really solid game against Utah with 21 points, including going 4 from 7 on three pointers.

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season. When you break it down by position, compared to last year:

PG: Russell > Lin. In his rookie year, this might be close comparison, or it may not be.

SG: Clarkson > Kobe. Only speaking about last year.

SF: Kobe > Johnson. In Kobe's new position he'll be an upgrade over any SF we had last year even if he's old and undersized.

PF: Randle > Boozer.

C: Hibbert = Hill. Hibbert is much better defensively, which is more important for the Lakers as they have other scoring options. Obviously, Hill is better offensively, but even there he was inefficient.

As for the bench:

SG: Williams > Ellington

SF: A. Brown > Kelly (when Kelly was played their out of position last year)

PF: Bass = Davis. I like both players.

PF: Nance Jr. > Kelly

C: Upshaw > Sacre

You have to take next season with a grain of salt. The rookies are going to be mistake prone, particularly in the first half of the season. If Kobe is Kobe pre-achilles (unlikely), then they could get near 40 wins I think. But for a team that was so old so recently, a young base is in place and then you have two max slots next offseason.
    Pretty much agree. I think the first half, like you said, is going to be filled with some losses that should have been wins in the name of learning. The youth looks promising and we should get glimpses of potential. I gotta think that in 2-3 years, the young core is going to be really solid if not spectacular. As a Lakers fan, I'm as excited as I've been since they got Pau.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    157 Post(s)

Russell and Randle are huge question marks. If they play well, things are looking up again. If they look scrappy then.......meh

All Star
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2116 Post(s)

The Lakers are four more players away from making a decent run in the playoffs.

Sizzler Across The Street
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    765 Post(s)

LOL - Lakers re-sign Ron Artest! What a joke. Almost as bad as that idiot Steve Mason on 710 ESPN who was giddy when the news dropped.
    What a clown organization - Kobe will not teach the young guys anything because he will continue to shoot the ball.
    Once a gunner, always a gunner.

Cardiac hockey
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    258 Post(s)

At the very least he will be great to practice with for the young guys.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3506 Post(s)

I saw Kobe's interview on BSPN and he seriously doesn't look like he's over 30 years old. Then again, he looked a little too happy. Felt weird watching happy go lucky Kobe.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

Hit it like a baby seal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    778 Post(s)

I know it's a pre-season game against my High School...but still. The vision and passing is beautiful to see. Bounce passes in stride, hits the cutter in the hands, just really pretty.