Click Here!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega Boot Up Issues

Default Mega Boot Up Issues

Trying to help my mom with her Windows 7 laptop thats not booting.....it simply will not boot up, even in safe mode it wont let me get to the command prompt.

I am basically just trying to get the computer to a working status and do not need to save any data on the computer itself.
    Not sure she has the installation disc but was wondering if there are any steps I can take to get the command prompt up to try and hit a restore point or even restart with default settings so the computer can be still used for basic functions.

Any help much appreciated.
    "You know, that sucks," said Doughty.

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

Does it give you any errors? Or just locks up? Or nothing happens at all?

Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    Does it give you any errors? Or just locks up? Or nothing happens at all?
    It goes to what appears to be the desktop or log in screen....but no icons appear. Every option under F8 menu simply restarts the computer and ends up back at that same empty desktop/log in screen.

If she does have the Windows disc you can try to run chkdsk https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=6565

We have power outages at work all the time and I've had good luck getting machines back up running with CHKDSK

Some computers also have a recover partition when you press F8 so you may not need the disk.
    Last edited by DRice; August 9th, 2015 at 01:34 PM.

Any tips for steps we can take if I cant get the installation disk? Quite frankly, I am not sure even if I get an install disk how I can get the computer to read it as I cant even get it to the point I can enter a command.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    It goes to what appears to be the desktop or log in screen....but no icons appear. Every option under F8 menu simply restarts the computer and ends up back at that same empty desktop/log in screen.
    Can you see the mouse pointer?
    Wild hunch here, but if you can see the desktop but no icons or start menu, wonder if it was connected to an external monitor(or accidentally setup to connect to an external monitor). Hit the Windows key and "p" at the same time, and select Duplicate.

When you press F8 at startup, does it not give you a "repair your computer" option? It should be on the same F8 screen that you found the "safe mode" option.

Thanks for the tips...pretty sure my Mom wasnt using an external monitor, Ill check that out though as I do see the mouse pointer.

I am able to use F8 and get all of those options, but none of the options do anything else other than restarting the computer and bring me to the previous screens.

Everything you are describing to me sounds like file corruption. I'm 97.426% sure a chkdsk will fix it. Just have to get you to where you can run it.

Quote Originally Posted by DRice View Post
    Everything you are describing to me sounds like file corruption. I'm 97.426% sure a chkdsk will fix it. Just have to get you to where you can run it.
    Agreed....therein lies the challenge!