Click Here!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quit previous job due to life/work balance and lack of growth opportunity.

Default Quit previous job due to life/work balance and lack of growth opportunity.

As the title stats. I worked retail sales for 8+ years and the last 2 years as an assistant store manager (all with the same company).

Not really sure what to do now, been applying at different dream jobs but have yet to hear back.

Any recommendations out there?
    Last edited by Huxington; August 18th, 2015 at 01:39 AM.

Good for you. Not many have the guts to do this without having a firm backup plan in place.

Keep in mind that even if you don't find a dream job, just a change of scenery might recharge the battery. If you can't find the "dream job", at least find a way to do the things you are passionate about and what makes you happy when you aren't working. Many passion projects start on the side of the regular job, and eventually can grow into their own thing.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by USCKingsFan31 View Post
    Good for you. Not many have the guts to do this without having a firm backup plan in place.

Keep in mind that even if you don't find a dream job, just a change of scenery might recharge the battery. If you can't find the "dream job", at least find a way to do the things you are passionate about and what makes you happy when you aren't working. Many passion projects start on the side of the regular job, and eventually can grow into their own thing.

Good luck!
    Much appreciated! My main issue I had with my previous employer was that I would be called back from vacation, favoritism, and flat out denied any type of growth due to "Kiss the ring" mentality.

Had an interview on friday that good have went better, but I was rusty. It's been almost 9 years since i've been in a structured interview (It certainly didn't help that they reading off the question verbatim)!

I'm sure it'll all work out. I'm confident in my abilities and a decent emergency fund.
    Last edited by Huxington; August 18th, 2015 at 04:24 PM.

Good luck!

Only thing I can suggest is that if you felt rusty in the interview its worth it to ask around for a practice interview. Not sure how your network is but if you know anyone who works for or with an HR department they may be able to work up a professional enough go at it just to shake off some of that rust.

Other than that I echo USC

Good luck man. The only piece of advice I can give you, is the following:
    RESUME!

1 page, and 1 page only. No one wants to read full sentences. Only bullet points that beg for additional information. I have probably looked at 2-300 resumes, when we were looking for new people. I can tell you, our team would say "next" if the resume told us everything we needed to know about that person. But resumes that peaked our interest were ones that were conscise, but gave pertinent details to spike our interest. The interview process, be yourself. Some peoples, especially myself, would be turned off when people would posture or reach to another level to "sell themselves". Your body of work, and your approach to whatever job it is, should be what sells you.

What are your passions?

I have a lot of respect for you people that follow your "passion". Some of us have give up on that, and while not bitter, have just chalked it all up to "job".
    I think that can happen when you follow your passion, then you get beaten up by the big suits who pull 10 times your salary.

good luck, dude....I have 3 people in my household looking for jobs right now. My husband got turned down for a customer service call center job yesterday without even an interview because they were "looking for younger people"....he has 23 years experience in customer service!! And yet, they had offered my daughter, fresh out of high school, an interview. So depressing.
    Gonna miss this

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssa42 View Post
    good luck, dude....I have 3 people in my household looking for jobs right now. My husband got turned down for a customer service call center job yesterday without even an interview because they were "looking for younger people"....he has 23 years experience in customer service!! And yet, they had offered my daughter, fresh out of high school, an interview. So depressing.
    did they tell him that was the reason directly? That sounds like age discrimination

Quote Originally Posted by ucsdguy1 View Post
    did they tell him that was the reason directly? That sounds like age discrimination
    yes, they did....but this was just in a preliminary email exchange, not an official interview. He was at a job fair recently and saw one of the places throw his resume in the trash as he was walking away. Very hard to get a job when you are over 50 these days when you don't have a specific high demand skill set. He has done various forms of customer service his whole life
    Gonna miss this