Click Here!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Default Windows 10

The last few days when I turn this thing on I get an announcement that windows10 is ready to install and it's free. I'm really pretty much a caveman when it comes to tech stuff, (still have a flip phone and no interest in I phones) Have any of you done this? Is this a scam? Will windows 10 screw things up on a 5 year old computer with windows 7 on it?
    And to head all of you off, (Birdman), I'm not getting a MAC.
    Thanks in advance.
    I'm younger than my tongue, and older than my teeth.

What can Brown do for you

No it's not a scam, but there is a catch. Microsoft is giving you a free upgrade to Windows 10 for 1 year. At that point you can purchase it for roughly $120 or revert back to Windows 7. I've upgraded and think it's pretty slick. Nice start menu and seems quite a bit faster. Keep in mind there will be bugs. I've noticed my sound is horrible now and i think it's because my sound card doesn't have Windows 10 drivers yet.

So if you do decide to install keep in mind there might not be drivers for everything yet. Things like your printer might stop working. It's worth the upgrade and you'll need roughly 16 GB of free space.

Quote Originally Posted by gokingsgo View Post
    No it's not a scam, but there is a catch. Microsoft is giving you a free upgrade to Windows 10 for 1 year. At that point you can purchase it for roughly $120 or revert back to Windows 7.
    That is not correct. Windows 10 is free for life as long as you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1.

I have upgraded and I like it. I have one bug but it is not a deal breaker. The volume scroll wheel on the keyboard makes the screen blink with a beep. I hope Microsoft or Logitech comes out with a patch soon. Windows 10 now allows data collection be sent to Microsoft similar to Google and Apple so if you believe in black helicopters, it may not be right for you.

This video outlines some of Windows 10 new features.

https://youtu.be/LAPZ-DVIM_0?t=324

One more thing to add, MS was nice enough to download Win10 onto your pc while you were sleeping. The folder size is 4.56GB (at least on my pc) and is located C:\$Windows.~BT which you won't see it until you unhide hidden folders in the control panel > folder options > folder options. So if you suddenly run out of space on your hard drive, this might be the culprit.

If you do decide to upgrade always backup your pc. Get a thumb drive or portable drive to keep all of your stuff safe. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a back up of your back up either.

Quote Originally Posted by gokingsgo View Post
    No it's not a scam, but there is a catch. Microsoft is giving you a free upgrade to Windows 10 for 1 year. At that point you can purchase it for roughly $120 or revert back to Windows 7. I've upgraded and think it's pretty slick. Nice start menu and seems quite a bit faster. Keep in mind there will be bugs. I've noticed my sound is horrible now and i think it's because my sound card doesn't have Windows 10 drivers yet.

So if you do decide to install keep in mind there might not be drivers for everything yet. Things like your printer might stop working. It's worth the upgrade and you'll need roughly 16 GB of free space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinkrat View Post
    Get a Mac!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    That is not correct. Windows 10 is free for life as long as you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1.

I have upgraded and I like it. I have one bug but it is not a deal breaker. The volume scroll wheel on the keyboard makes the screen blink with a beep. I hope Microsoft or Logitech comes out with a patch soon. Windows 10 now allows data collection be sent to Microsoft similar to Google and Apple so if you believe in black helicopters, it may not be right for you.

This video outlines some of Windows 10 new features.

https://youtu.be/LAPZ-DVIM_0?t=324
    Quote Originally Posted by nm156 View Post
    One more thing to add, MS was nice enough to download Win10 onto your pc while you were sleeping. The folder size is 4.56GB (at least on my pc) and is located C:\$Windows.~BT which you won't see it until you unhide hidden folders in the control panel > folder options > folder options. So if you suddenly run out of space on your hard drive, this might be the culprit.

If you do decide to upgrade always backup your pc. Get a thumb drive or portable drive to keep all of your stuff safe. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a back up of your back up either.

What part of "I'm not a tech geek did you all not understand. For the most part, I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Oh, and screw you Mike.
    I'm younger than my tongue, and older than my teeth.

Windows 10 can collect all the data they want from me as long as I don't have to put up with annoying Windows 8 and it's stupid "sweeping" to another page ever again!!!
    Gonna miss this

Quote Originally Posted by Rinkrat View Post
    Get a Mac!
    *yawn* sooo tired...
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

Quote Originally Posted by x-wingcamewest View Post
    What part of "I'm not a tech geek did you all not understand. For the most part, I don't know what the hell you are talking about.
    1) Look at damn computer box.
    2) Press button on damn computer box.
    3) Wait for damn computer box's damn TV to come on.
    4) Watch damn 10 year old fix the damn computer box.
    5) Drink damn Ensure.

Last edited by nocturn; August 20th, 2015 at 10:00 AM.
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

If you're using a laptop there's been some battery burn on windows 10 which appears to be linked to the microphone. Otherwise the Mrs hasn't had many complaints.