Thread: 2016 Dodgers Season Thread

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

The onions are going to be strong this weekend. Watching the pregame ceremony and the waterworks are going.

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    647 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cross Traffic View Post
    The onions are going to be strong this weekend. Watching the pregame ceremony and the waterworks are going.
    same

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)

Seriously, no posts since 9/23? Um, your team is still in it guys. Kershaw wins tomorrow sets up an EPIC game 7. Just thought there'd be some chatter in here.

Just had a conversation with someone who thinks the bad call against A-Gon in the 2nd inning of game 4 killed all their momentum and is the reason for the Dodgers being down 3-2. I argued that momentum in sports is a misnomer being that it is implied to provide causation to subsequent events. What appears to be momentum is simply player talent abutting opposing player talent in any given moment or series of moments and could be labelled as the old wive's tale of sports. Perhaps a better word is confidence, as players are more apt to be loose and assertive when confident. Thoughts?

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    647 Post(s)

It's hard to type and bite my nails at the same time.

I have a bad rep!
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RockPile View Post
    Seriously, no posts since 9/23? Um, your team is still in it guys. Kershaw wins tomorrow sets up an EPIC game 7. Just thought there'd be some chatter in here.

Just had a conversation with someone who thinks the bad call against A-Gon in the 2nd inning of game 4 killed all their momentum and is the reason for the Dodgers being down 3-2. I argued that momentum in sports is a misnomer being that it is implied to provide causation to subsequent events. What appears to be momentum is simply player talent abutting opposing player talent in any given moment or series of moments and could be labelled as the old wive's tale of sports. Perhaps a better word is confidence, as players are more apt to be loose and assertive when confident. Thoughts?
    The Dodgers let it be a momentum killer. A-Gon couldn't wait to tweet out a complaint 3 minutes after the game ended, so the entire game they (or at least A-Gon) stewed about a bad call instead of concentrating on what needed to be done. MLB has a long tradition of blown calls in the play-offs. You either move on or let it bring you down, and they let it get to them in the worst way. However, the momentum was threadbare at best. It's business as usual, choking in the playoffs. They're currently the MLB version of the Sharks. I hope they come back and stun us all, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

<3 Tanner <3
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2978 Post(s)

Momentum is a huge thing and it's a huge thing when it comes to sports. Hell, Sutter down plays it a lot for the Kings and I think he's wrong.

Prime example. Angels in the 2005 ALCS. Halos were up 1-0 in the series and had a good shot at winning Game 2. That BS call by the umpire Doug Eddings in the 9th with 2 outs pretty much ruined any momentum the Angels had. They went on to lose 4 straight to the White Sox (and that momentum... coincidentally helped them win the WS). That's how I feel anyway. *Shrug*

So you take the Dodgers here for example and what you said about the bad call. It may not look like much but it's insane how momentum does work.
    Facebook: facebook.com/grtoocool Twitter: @LGKTooCool

LGK is the only place for real die-hard fans. If you're not here, you're not a die-hard. That's how I see it!

Rink Dawg

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by makemelaugh View Post
    The Dodgers let it be a momentum killer. A-Gon couldn't wait to tweet out a complaint 3 minutes after the game ended, so the entire game they (or at least A-Gon) stewed about a bad call instead of concentrating on what needed to be done. MLB has a long tradition of blown calls in the play-offs. You either move on or let it bring you down, and they let it get to them in the worst way. However, the momentum was threadbare at best. It's business as usual, choking in the playoffs. They're currently the MLB version of the Sharks. I hope they come back and stun us all, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.
    Well, if momentum is an actual thing, Kershaw will bring you some tomorrow. If the bullpen holds up there will be a game 7 and then who knows. Just a tip though, turn off the TV if Roberts brings in Blanton.

Regina...rhymes with fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    137 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooCool View Post
    Momentum is a huge thing and it's a huge thing when it comes to sports. Hell, Sutter down plays it a lot for the Kings and I think he's wrong.Prime example. Angels in the 2005 ALCS. Halos were up 1-0 in the series and had a good shot at winning Game 2. That BS call by the umpire Doug Eddings in the 9th with 2 outs pretty much ruined any momentum the Angels had. They went on to lose 4 straight to the White Sox (and that momentum... coincidentally helped them win the WS). That's how I feel anyway. *Shrug*So you take the Dodgers here for example and what you said about the bad call. It may not look like much but it's insane how momentum does work.
    I know what you mean, I'm just being a word nerd.

I have a bad rep!
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)

Momentum, the strength or force that allows something to continue or to grow stronger or faster as time passes. If you trip and fall while running, your momentum is only killed if you don't get up and start running again. If a bad call goes against your team in baseball, your momentum is only killed if you get so pissed off that you lose confidence and concentration. Choose to overcome, and momentum usually stays with you. Choose to bitch and moan, and it can easily swing the other way.

I have a bad rep!
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    369 Post(s)

Well, if momentum is an actual thing, Kershaw will bring you some tomorrow. If the bullpen holds up there will be a game 7 and then who knows. Just a tip though, turn off the TV if Roberts brings in Blanton.
    If Blanton comes in....