Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Update Does not Set Restore Point- I may be Screwed

Default Windows 10 Update Does not Set Restore Point- I may be Screwed

My old HP Dv6 was running fine and doing surprisingly well for its age. Its probably 4 or 5 years old now but was a great computer. After being prompted 1000 times I finally downloaded Windows 10. And to my surprise, totally sped up my computer at startup and pretty much functionality across the board.

A month later...I now get boot up problems where upon bootup it gives a windows load error and goes into diagnostic mode. Major issue here is-after the windows 10 upgrade I assumed it would automatically create a restore point that turned out to be false. My problem...even in safe mode I cannot access a way to restore the computer, and after running the repair programs cannot get Windows to start normally.

Any tips or tricks to get this thing to boot?
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

I grew a Fatmanchu.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    My old HP Dv6 was running fine and doing surprisingly well for its age. Its probably 4 or 5 years old now but was a great computer. After being prompted 1000 times I finally downloaded Windows 10. And to my surprise, totally sped up my computer at startup and pretty much functionality across the board.

A month later...I now get boot up problems where upon bootup it gives a windows load error and goes into diagnostic mode. Major issue here is-after the windows 10 upgrade I assumed it would automatically create a restore point that turned out to be false. My problem...even in safe mode I cannot access a way to restore the computer, and after running the repair programs cannot get Windows to start normally.

Any tips or tricks to get this thing to boot?
    You're going to lose everything but if you still have the Windows Key for Windows 7 or XP on the tower/laptop you can use that key to activate a fresh copy of windows 10 by creating a USB install stick. Only problem is you may need to use a different computer to create this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsfan626 View Post
    You're going to lose everything but if you still have the Windows Key for Windows 7 or XP on the tower/laptop you can use that key to activate a fresh copy of windows 10 by creating a USB install stick. Only problem is you may need to use a different computer to create this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    I suspected as much....I think Ill just rip out the HD and transfer the important pics and files to an external HD and scrap it. Real bummer though....you would have thought the new Windows10 would have created a new restore point-or was this just HPs way of effing up all the older model computers that were still running.
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

I grew a Fatmanchu.
    Images

I suspected as much....I think Ill just rip out the HD and transfer the important pics and files to an external HD and scrap it. Real bummer though....you would have thought the new Windows10 would have created a new restore point-or was this just HPs way of effing up all the older model computers that were still running.
    No it's pretty much Microsoft trying to be Microsoft. They originally tried to take away the option to install a fresh version of Windows 10 so you're lucky they still have this option and Windows 8 started the whole restore point issue and made it difficult to restore the OS.

Get Linux...

Quote Originally Posted by King Ludwig View Post
    Get Linux...
    That would wipe everythough correct?

That would wipe everythough correct?
    It better...

The only thing I'm using Windows for now is to view Blu-Ray discs... I'm still trying to find a way around this problem on a more permanent basis with Linux...

Quote Originally Posted by King Ludwig View Post
    Get Linux...
    What OS do you run?

Quote Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
    What OS do you run?
    Zorin 9 right now...

Sittin' on the couch

Always always always, data on one drive (preferably a RAID 1 or other redundant array), operating system and programs on another.