Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    203 Post(s)

Default Advice Needed for Non-Beats Style Headphones

Hi all,

I like to listen to music when I run and when I ride my bike around the Rose Bowl, but every pair of headphones I buy end up not working out for me. I've bought the kind that have the loop around the ear, the kind that have a bendable "wire" to form to the shape of the back of my ear, the kind of earbuds that just stick in place, and every other permutation of wired headphone imaginable. So I'm looking for a bit of advice on where to go for a good pair. I'm looking into a pair of those Star Trek-ish headphones that are wireless and stick in your ear, or any other type of headphone that can hack it. It doesn't have to be wireless, so wired types are ok, and I'm not looking for anything close to Beats style ear-muff headphones so please keep that in mind.

While I'm not opposed to spending a few dollars on a set, I'm looking to max out around $100.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

Daxx

Support the Fans
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)

FYI, it's not only dangerous to wear headphones while riding a bike, it's now illegal:

http://abc7news.com/politics/califor...ffect/1143846/

Yer Damned Woodpecker
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    275 Post(s)

Bose has some in-ear buds that have a very soft and very comfortable silicone part that holds them in really well during exercise.

https://www.bose.com/products/headph...165&src=K22350

Hands down the best earbud I've ever owned, and Bose customer service is awesome.

Don't bother with the active noise cancelling ones, though...not a big enough difference to justify the increased $$.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.

Classic player
    Images
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3871 Post(s)

Future Sonics G10. Marty Garcia has been making the best affordable ear buds for years.

They will run you $200 on Amazon.

EDIT: These are what we use for musicians' ear monitor mixes when they don't provide their own $1000+ ear mold systems. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by VCRW; January 8th, 2016 at 01:18 PM.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)

I run with Jaybirds X2 and with 3 different Comply tips and 3 wings you are bound to find a right fit that stays in. Really happy with them so far sound quality is real good and they stay in ear for me. Have also used the BTS Audio 66 on the ear. Sound is good on those but not very loud and not sure how they would do with a helmet as I only run with them. Have worn for several hours with reasonable comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video Game First Liner
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troyvsc View Post
    I run with Jaybirds X2 and with 3 different Comply tips and 3 wings you are bound to find a right fit that stays in. Really happy with them so far sound quality is real good and they stay in ear for me. Have also used the BTS Audio 66 on the ear. Sound is good on those but not very loud and not sure how they would do with a helmet as I only run with them. Have worn for several hours with reasonable comfort.

+1 on the Jaybird X2. My wife bought me a pair for Christmas. It took some time to find the right fit, but once I did, they stay in place while I run.

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    332 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecktore View Post
    +1 on the Jaybird X2. My wife bought me a pair for Christmas. It took some time to find the right fit, but once I did, they stay in place while I run.
    How is your battery life? Mine has not made it to 8 hours both times I pushed it ran out between 5 and 6 hours.

Video Game First Liner
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troyvsc View Post
    How is your battery life? Mine has not made it to 8 hours both times I pushed it ran out between 5 and 6 hours.

It's lasted a few days with very light usage. I've only had to charge it twice since Christmas, and I've only gotten the low battery notification once. I also shut them off when I'm not actively using them.

Your Favorite vBookie
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    993 Post(s)

I have an older pair of Jaybirds, the Bluebuds x. They work great for running, very comfortable. There are 3 sets of cushion thingys in the package so you can choose the one that fits you best. I've had mine for well over a year. If you don't want to pay full price for the X2, the Bluebuds X are cheaper, less than $100 on Amazon. I think they are worth the price. Only thing I don't like on mine is there is no battery indicator, so I just charge them before every run.

http://www.amazon.com/JayBird-BBX1MB.../dp/B00AIRUOI8