Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Internet Router Questions

Default Upgrading Internet Router Questions

Im upgrading my internet from 18mbps to 50mbps and know Ill need to upgrade my router. Any recomendations?

This is all part of me cutting the cable and just want something that can handle that speed.

I see a lot of router/modem combos....worth the convenience or better to buy separate?
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

3rd Line Role Player

Default Upgrading Internet Router Questions

Who do you plan to get your internet service with? I say better to buy them separately but there are some who would argue otherwise. I've found Asus routers to be the most user friendly and have good platforms to adjust settings.
    Last edited by neracorvi; January 18th, 2016 at 09:18 PM.

In my area in South OC theres not a lot of choices....right now Cox offers most bang for the bucks. $67 for 50 mbps which is about $10 more than AT&T with way less speed.

Thanks for the Links JW!
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Inanimate ****ing object

Make sure you get a DOCSIS 3.0 router. I tried that TP-C7 router JW linked, it did not work reliably for me. I exchanged it for an Asus, which works much better.

3rd Line Role Player

Here's a list of approved modems:
    http://m.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=b2ec95d0-7ef9-11df-5590-000000000000
    I use the sb6141 works like a charm, docsis 3.0 is a must should you decide you want to upgrade to a higher internet tier and would be capable of doing so. Linksys routers to me aren't worth it and prove to be the most frustrating, netgear I guess are okay. Dualband are nice if you live in an area where there are a lot of other networks chances are there won't be that many on the 5g band. What are you looking at?

Santiclaws which router do you have? I just got the ac87u, got a bigger house needed better coverage I like it. Had the ac66u before never had problems.

I got the scoop from someone in the know...

You pay for the $87 a month plan that comes with streaming network tv, they do a free install and provide the modem-thus for right now only need the router.

After a month, downgrade to the $67 plan as its month to month and there is no contract-thus getting free install and loaner modem.

3rd Line Role Player

Did you end up getting anything?

I grew a Fatmanchu.
    Images

Buy them seperate and what router do you currently have? Does it cover the whole house?

I'm currently using this one at the house and I'm amazed that I'm able to get the whole house connected but my phones and PCs all have Wireless AC capability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

Win it again..for Tanner!

the routers that come with your service are usually okay. home routers are terribly inconsistent - you may need to replace them after a year or two of use, or one might work for 5+ years like a champ, or you get one that you have to reboot every day. wireless gaming is a lot more finicky, so if you plan on doing any of that (real time gaming) then you need to get a very good router - the ones usually supplied by the service are usually nowhere near good enough.