Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver, BC

fantastic hair.

Default Vancouver, BC

so we're going in late march to get away. so far on the itinerary is a canucks game. not stoked on sitting with canucks fans but it's another NHL arena i can mark off my list. is the aquarium worth a visit? might do high tea at the empress and a visit to victoria. any other recs? easter and good food recs appreciated, too!

Go Tanner Go!

I live close (in WA) and love that city. The aquarium is good. If weather is ok you can rent a bike and go around Stanley Park - that is awesome. Victoria is a great, quaint little town as well and I would suggest doing the tea there at the fancy hotel at the head of the harbor (built in the 1800's I think).

In terms of Vancouver food I had the best piece of salmon I have ever eaten - and I have eaten a lot of salmon - at Carderos. It is right on the public harbor next to the Westin Bayshore Inn where all the NHL teams stay on road visits.

Have a great time and GKG!

If you do Victoria and at are all into gardens, go to http://www.butchartgardens.com/ I remember going many times as a kid and loved it back then. Late March should have some spring foliage to enjoy. Plan for rain though, it's pretty much guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by roenick View Post
    I live close (in WA) and love that city. The aquarium is good. If weather is ok you can rent a bike and go around Stanley Park - that is awesome. Victoria is a great, quaint little town as well and I would suggest doing the tea there at the fancy hotel at the head of the harbor (built in the 1800's I think).

In terms of Vancouver food I had the best piece of salmon I have ever eaten - and I have eaten a lot of salmon - at Carderos. It is right on the public harbor next to the Westin Bayshore Inn where all the NHL teams stay on road visits.

Have a great time and GKG!
    i wish i could take advantage of the bike option. i'll be bringing my 6 yr old with me and she's not capable of city biking yet. would you recommend relying on public transit or renting a car?

i decided to do tea at the fairmont in vancouver on easter sunday. might visit the vandusen botanical garden there if they're doing an easter event as well. the empress in victoria is renovating their tea room so they've temporarily moved their tea service to the upper lobby and so i think the experience might not quite be the same. is that the hotel you were talking about?

thanks for the vote of confidence in the aquarium and the salmon recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
    If you do Victoria and at are all into gardens, go to http://www.butchartgardens.com/ I remember going many times as a kid and loved it back then. Late March should have some spring foliage to enjoy. Plan for rain though, it's pretty much guaranteed.
    yes! my kid loves gardens, so that sounds like a good idea. thanks also for mentioning the rain. totally didn't even think about that. i'll make sure i bring appropriate coat, shoes and an umbrella.

4th Line Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    so we're going in late march to get away. so far on the itinerary is a canucks game. not stoked on sitting with canucks fans but it's another NHL arena i can mark off my list. is the aquarium worth a visit? might do high tea at the empress and a visit to victoria. any other recs? easter and good food recs appreciated, too!
    Hi. Being from Vancouver, I would recommend checking out Stanley Park in Vancouver. I would also check out Granville Island and Science World. Yes, the Aquarium is worth a visit. For restaurants, I would recommend Miku Restaurant, Teahouse in Stanley Park and Top Of Vancouver Revolving Restaurant.

1st Scoring Line

I did this too as a kid and remember it being pretty cool to see. I probably didnt appreciate it enough but remember a lot of vibrant colors.

Also went river rafting in Banff which was awesome, but is a bit of trek from the city

Oh snap....it's the Fuzz!

Stayed there in 2009 the year before the Vancouver Winter Games. We stayed about a week and had a great time. We watched two games at the formerly known as the GM center. We watched the Kings play the nucks and discovered our usher was a closet Kings fan. The next game we went to (same seats) he give us a game puck as long as we kept his secret. We stayed at very nice (Westin?) hotel on Robson St.within walking distance to arena. We did the Butchart garden tour and I couldn't help laughing every time my wife said that name. (It doesn't take much to humor my simple, childish mind) We walked through Stanley Park, Granville island, Victoria Island, Whistler Mountain, etc. We had a great time. The one thing I did notice and maybe it has changed since but if you enjoy Japanese food and Starbucks you're in luck. It seemed like every restaurant was Japanese and right next door there was a Starbucks.

I would PM our resident cannuck "Drunken Crunker" for the latest scoop on Vancouver. Have a great trip.
    We are the Samurai, the warrior elite who protect and serve. Armed and armored from head to toe, masters of our personal weapons and bound by Honor, Duty, Loyalty, and Honesty. We walk the long path into the places society would prefer forgotten, and chase those demons that most would run from screaming in fear. We are the Samurai.

Go Tanner Go!

i wish i could take advantage of the bike option. i'll be bringing my 6 yr old with me and she's not capable of city biking yet. would you recommend relying on public transit or renting a car?

i decided to do tea at the fairmont in vancouver on easter sunday. might visit the vandusen botanical garden there if they're doing an easter event as well. the empress in victoria is renovating their tea room so they've temporarily moved their tea service to the upper lobby and so i think the experience might not quite be the same. is that the hotel you were talking about?

thanks for the vote of confidence in the aquarium and the salmon recommendation!

yes! my kid loves gardens, so that sounds like a good idea. thanks also for mentioning the rain. totally didn't even think about that. i'll make sure i bring appropriate coat, shoes and an umbrella.
    Yes the Empress is the tea in Victoria I suggested. We have always had a car there so I can't talk to public transit but if memory serves the public buses seem good. Remember Vancouver is a pretty big city besides the city central area (I mean it is spread out). Butchart is really beautiful and worth a visit. Have fun!

Me & Deano go way back...

We went this time last year and absolutely loved the place, though it is a bit pricey. We stayed at the Lonsdale Quay hotel. Pretty nice area - away from downtown (though right across the harbor from it), but within walking distance of some really good restaurants. SeaBus terminal nearby so you can ride across to downtown. It also sits right above a great little market (oddly enough, called the Lonsdale Quay Market). I had some really good Eggs Benedict at one of the little cafes in there, and there's enough Maple-Leaf-adorned tchotchkes and ample charcuterie there to keep you busy for a couple hours.

Since you'll be at Rogers Arena, I highly recommend this taco place (maybe before the game?): http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-taqueria-...er-2?osq=Tacos. Some of the best damn tacos we've ever had (especially the tacos de cabeza). And we were both born and raised in the LA Area. Another place where we ate well was at the Fishworks Restaurant (walking distance from the Quay): http://www.yelp.com/biz/fishworks-north-vancouver .

As far as places to visit, I HIGHLY recommend Lynn Canyon. It is a breathtakingly beautiful park, with a suspension bridge over what is called Lynn Creek. It ain't no creek - it was roaring rapids when we went. Absolutely incredible. And the trails leading into the forest there are awe-inspiring. It's as though you stepped right into Jurassic Park. I had a rather crappy camera phone at the time, but here are a couple of grainy pictures from Lynn Canyon. One is the trailhead across the suspension bridge, and the other is looking down at the "Creek" from the bridge.

Also, as to the public transportation vs. rental car question, I highly recommend the rental car. And be prepared from some semi-good-natured poo-flinging at the airport if you wear your Kings gear. I did not wear it to restaurants, for fear of...things...happening to my food.

2nd Scoring Line

I was just there last summer, and I thought it was a total waste of time. We had a package Ferry/Garden tour, and I thought it was over hyped and under delivered.