Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porter Ranch Gas Leak

3rd Line Role Player

Default Porter Ranch Gas Leak

That whole situation just seems so ****ed up. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

basically honorary nasty

For those of us not in the Los Angeles area, this story has almost no coverage in the media.

OP... care to provide some backstory or at very least a link? I know I can use a search engine all by my lonesome, but it's a little odd to go to a message board thread that's just a title with an opinion and no real topic.

3rd Line Role Player

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-porter-ranch-gas-leak-live-htmlstory.html

Equivalent of 200,000 cars a day's worth of pollution being put into the air.

1st Scoring Line

I find it insane that the whole country is talking about Flint. But I hear very little from the national media on this HUGE situation. Oh nothing... Just a tiny gas leak... WTF?

1st Scoring Line

Clinton was talking about fixing our infrastructure since the 90's. Congress didn't agree. This really is no surprise. Everything is OLD. We have pipes breading all the time in LA. I think Obama even tried to get a jobs bill passed that addressed this problem.

The jobs this would create in the US would go along way to help the economy.

All Star

Quote Originally Posted by fansince67 View Post
    Everything is OLD. We have pipes breading all the time
    These breading pipes are terrible!

basically honorary nasty

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    I find it insane that the whole country is talking about Flint. But I hear very little from the national media on this HUGE situation. Oh nothing... Just a tiny gas leak... WTF?
    That's what I'm sayin. I relocated to Austin, TX back in September, and I watch the local news every morning...not a word on this when national stories are being covered. Haven't seen anything on any social media feeds from friends in LA either...so....didn't really have a clue 'till I went 'a googeling.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neracorvi View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-porter-ranch-gas-leak-live-htmlstory.html

Equivalent of 200,000 cars a day's worth of pollution being put into the air.
    Funny you should say this... I'm currently taking an engineering class in air pollution and the professor explained that while it is like 200,000 cars worth of air pollution emitted per day, the rate at which the methane is broken down is much slower than carbon monoxide. This makes the air pollution actually worse than the 200,000 cars/day number.

I'm not an alarmist by any stretch, and when someone in the news mentioned that this gas leak is as bad as the BP oil spill I was skeptical. Now that I actually have a bit of insight on the subject matter... ya... it's pretty bad. This doesn't just affect people in Porter Ranch, this affects pretty much everyone (at the moment) in the Northern Hemisphere. This gas first gets caught in the inversion layer, and eventually makes it's way to the troposphere and stratosphere, and from there it is spread around to everyone north of the equator. It allows the production of NOx, ozone, and other nasty secondary byproducts that are cancer causing, and a REALLY long time to breakdown. That's just the methane part, you've also got aromatic benzene and other really bad chemicals in the mix too.

lots of fun...

3rd Line Role Player

Sadly public health comes second when there is capital to be made.

Supreme Court just put Obama's climate change policy on hold too :/

The weariness stretches further back than Clinton, Jimmy Carter released a statement urging Americans to put on sweaters and turn the thermostat down, and implemented solar panels on the White House. While some would argue it was not cost effective, it goes without saying it has been on the minds of past Americans. But not enough for a change. Until there is a public consensus climate change is happening...

And yes, Daxx I'm well aware of the process. Gave a rough comparison for those that may not be too familiar with organic chemistry I'm wanting to do environmental law.

1st Scoring Line

Quote Originally Posted by Ice24 View Post
    These breading pipes are terrible!
    You are funny! I'm sure you've never made a typo or mistake. Is that really all you got out of this? Don't really need and answer, I think I got it. LOL