Nyssa's Minion
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3716 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lich King View Post
    Same here. Drilled with their futility for 40 years.

Hell, I keep watching game 7 vs the Hawks, just to kill time till Thursday, and I STILL think we're going to lose that one. :\
    I keep watching game 2 of the 93 cup finals thinking we are going to win that one....

Come back zinc !
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JEEPKING View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
    Knowing many, many people from and in the area, they have the absolute complete polar opposite of an "inferiority complex". Trust me.
    I will respectfully disagree. I went to school in SJ (SJSU) and lived in the area for some time after. I do think its an inferiority complex. They hate the fact (and will never admit it) but SJ is really an insignificant little town. They have this big "rivalry" with LA yet LA barely acknowledges their existence. It's funny to hear them talk passionately about how much they hate LA yet most have never even been to LA. They hate it because they're supposed to hate it. For a place that is supposed to be so liberal and open minded, they are anything but.

I do love the fact that the sharts worst defeat and most excruciating pain came at the hands of LA (the reverse sweep)
    I feel exactly the same way. I actually like San Jo though. San Fransisco is the same way. Worse actually. Glad I'm not the only one with the same experience.

2nd Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Thank you rcc!!

-If we get reverse swept again I'll eat a broom.
    -(smart ass kings fan): Like a whole broom?
    Aren't you afraid of choking?

what I am, you shall be
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JEEPKING View Post
    I will respectfully disagree. I went to school in SJ (SJSU) and lived in the area for some time after. I do think its an inferiority complex. They hate the fact (and will never admit it) but SJ is really an insignificant little town. They have this big "rivalry" with LA yet LA barely acknowledges their existence. It's funny to hear them talk passionately about how much they hate LA yet most have never even been to LA. They hate it because they're supposed to hate it. For a place that is supposed to be so liberal and open minded, they are anything but.

I do love the fact that the sharts worst defeat and most excruciating pain came at the hands of LA (the reverse sweep)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCalo2000 View Post
    I feel exactly the same way. I actually like San Jo though. San Fransisco is the same way. Worse actually. Glad I'm not the only one with the same experience.
    I understand completely with what you both are saying but I was referring to the original quote:

So confident. Why does NorCal have such an inferiority complex with SoCal?
    ...not specially SJ or even Sharts fans, per say. My response is broad brushing the original broad brushed opinion.

The family and friends I have that live north of Monterey (upwards of 30) have fallen into that "look down their nose" types. I've actually quit talking to a bunch of people up there in recent years because of their generally s***ty attitude about anyone not living in NorCal and not living to NorCal standards...whatever that is. It wasn't that way 30 years ago. Along with the money came the s***ty personalities, unfortunately.

Edit: And I know what I'm saying doesn't account for everyone up there. I'm just recognizing that the concentration of those that I have described, is becoming more and more dense...exactly what happened to my Santa Barbara back in the 80's and 90's...large douchebag influx f'ed the city up.
    Last edited by nocturn; April 14th, 2016 at 01:26 PM.

Watching CI in San Jose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I'm from SoCal, but I live in San Jose - and I have lived here for 24 years. Ironically, I moved there at the beginning of the 92-93 season. I was already a huge Kings fans and the Sharks fans here were always giving me cr@p. They day after Montreal won the cup I came to work to find a newspaper clipping showing the Habs holding the cup over their heads. As the Sharks got better and Kings got worse, I would often go to the Shark tank - mostly to watch them lose. I always go in a Kings jersey and I've always taken their "Kings Suck!" comments in stride. It actually started to change in 2011 - when the Kings lost to the Sharks in the playoffs w/o Kopitar and with the goals scored being even (I think it was 20-20, if I recall)... They still gave me crap, but they were shaken by how good the Kings had become. Since 2012, they've mostly kept quiet... and in 2014 it went to despair. Those "Beat LA chants sound like desperation to me. To hear them assuming that their team is going to choke and lose is music to my ears. I'd love to tell you that I've been gracious in victory, but I'm not. I've been exacting my revenge for 4 years now :-).

As for inferiority vs. superiority complex - its both... now. The Sharks are the first departure form SF here - these are Giants and 49ers fans. It's true that most of them don't understand why they hate LA - but for them, beating LA is something special. It's cultural as much as personal. The radio stations don't say "LA Kings" - they usually say something like "The hated LA Kings" or "Rival LA Kings", and for them it is a rivalry.

San Jose may have been fairly small and "insignificant" - but it isn't now... a million people live here...and it's growing fast. That separation from SF is well underway - A little like OC growing out of the shadow of LA to be it's own entity. They now have 3 of their own sports teams here with the 49ers new stadium here and the Earthquakes new stadium as well. I predict the "rivalry" with LA (as they see it) will be different here than the one with SF, eventually... and the rivalry between SF and SJ will only grow - not completely unlike LA/OC.

In the meantime - I just want the Kings to feed the inferiority part by taking the Sharks apart over and over and over... I have 2 decades of enduring insults and mocking to account for - These last few years have been a great start.

Go Kings!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCalo2000 View Post

what I am, you shall be
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerLeaguer View Post
    I'm from SoCal, but I live in San Jose - and I have lived here for 24 years. Ironically, I moved there at the beginning of the 92-93 season. I was already a huge Kings fans and the Sharks fans here were always giving me cr@p. They day after Montreal won the cup I came to work to find a newspaper clipping showing the Habs holding the cup over their heads. As the Sharks got better and Kings got worse, I would often go to the Shark tank - mostly to watch them lose. I always go in a Kings jersey and I've always taken their "Kings Suck!" comments in stride. It actually started to change in 2011 - when the Kings lost to the Sharks in the playoffs w/o Kopitar and with the goals scored being even (I think it was 20-20, if I recall)... They still gave me crap, but they were shaken by how good the Kings had become. Since 2012, they've mostly kept quiet... and in 2014 it went to despair. Those "Beat LA chants sound like desperation to me. To hear them assuming that their team is going to choke and lose is music to my ears. I'd love to tell you that I've been gracious in victory, but I'm not. I've been exacting my revenge for 4 years now :-).

As for inferiority vs. superiority complex - its both... now. The Sharks are the first departure form SF here - these are Giants and 49ers fans. It's true that most of them don't understand why they hate LA - but for them, beating LA is something special. It's cultural as much as personal. The radio stations don't say "LA Kings" - they usually say something like "The hated LA Kings" or "Rival LA Kings", and for them it is a rivalry.

San Jose may have been fairly small and "insignificant" - but it isn't now... a million people live here...and it's growing fast. That separation from SF is well underway - A little like OC growing out of the shadow of LA to be it's own entity. They now have 3 of their own sports teams here with the 49ers new stadium here and the Earthquakes new stadium as well. I predict the "rivalry" with LA (as they see it) will be different here than the one with SF, eventually... and the rivalry between SF and SJ will only grow - not completely unlike LA/OC.

In the meantime - I just want the Kings to feed the inferiority part by taking the Sharks apart over and over and over... I have 2 decades of enduring insults and mocking to account for - These last few years have been a great start.

Go Kings!
    Quality post dude.