Thread: Easy Tips to Improve Router Performance?

waxing poetic
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

Default Easy Tips to Improve Router Performance?

I have the TP-LINK TL-WDR3600. More info here

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B008RV51EE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui _detailpage_o04_s01

Anyhow, I find I need to reset it fairly often and sometimes I seem to get some lag. I have cable internet getting 52 mbps download.

Once again though, seems like I am resetting the router(unplugging, plugging back in) with regularity.

Any tips I can do on the router set or firmware or whatever to maximize the speed and dependability?
    "If the Kings win the Stanley Cup, I'll invite you and three friends over to drink Patine Cellars Wine from the Stanley Cup." Jim Fox to Hipcheck 09/28/2015

Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

1st Scoring Line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

I have a Netgear WNR1000, the thing is old, but it is a beast, I reset it maybe once every 6 months, other than that it is rock solid. Yes it's a pain in the butt to switch routers, but i've used these for a few years now and haven't found anything that compares to them, and for $22 on Amazon they are a steal.

https://www.amazon.com/RangeMax-Wire.../dp/B001UI4RTG

Team LGK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

You can download netstumbler and that might tell you about possible interference like a neighbor on the same wifi channel or even signal strength. If that doesn't work for you maybe the firmware update might be a way to go. There was some detailed info on that link you posted for amazon that you can comb through also. Just some random thoughts off the top of my head.

4th Line Grinder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most newer routers don’t need to be rebooted all that often, but if you’ve ever run into a dead Internet connection for no apparent reason, I’m sure you’ve discovered that rebooting your router is often all it takes to get you back up and running. In fact, when you call your ISP or tech support for your router manufacturer, this is often the first thing they’ll have you do.

If you find yourself rebooting the router with any regularity, the DD-WRT and Tomato firmware options both have timed reboot options. Set it to reboot once a day, while you’re sleeping and you’ll never even notice the down time while it powers off and starts back up.

FIRE BETTMAN!!
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    650 Post(s)

I too have the TP Links router. it's the Archer C5. we had to reboot once a week.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it crapped out a couple of weeks ago, we got it just a year and a half ago, well within a 2 year warranty. getting ahold of tech support is pulling tooth.

speaking of crappy tech support, I just a bit ago ran comparisons between TP Links and other similar brands. lo and behold, none of them have such rosy reviews. even TP Links boasts of having the best support in the industry.
    Last edited by BeerMan; October 12th, 2016 at 06:22 PM.
    I BELIEVE I'll have another beer!

jammer's overlord
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2347 Post(s)

TP Links is a new sponsor of the Kings. I thought it was a toilet paper delivery service. Sounds like maybe they would be better off doing that

GO KINGS GO!!!